Author Topic: Why must Target suck so for Star Wars?  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Why must Target suck so?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 04:41 PM »
But I still think Target SUCKS so. IMO if they were managed better I think they would be more successful. Hot wheels have cases with 72 pieces not guaranteed to have 1 TH in it. A case of exlusives have a set amount of all the same piece. If I ask for a case to get one out and the store employees comply then stock the rest-who got hurt? My pinky toe? no..LOL
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 06:48 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 05:12 PM »
Funny, I'm considering getting a job at Target just to be on the inside and be able to help collectors with release date info...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Are you forgetting about the typical army builders-yeah those are not that uncommon either they pick up SEVERAL of the figure and at times buy up all of them in the store-where's the casual kids getting that one?...?Unless you don't count these as collectors

Of course I'm not forgetting about army builders, I am one.  I'm also someone who shows up at target at 8am each morning when they're expecting stuff, and at least a few times a week when they're not. And when I can't be there, I have friends who go for me (Then I hit other stores for them).  We're a big network up here.

Anyway....I'll use the SA clone as my perfect example.  They've come in many case assortments, but generally those were two per case.  Now, for the first few weeks they were out, if I saw one I'd buy it.  If I saw 2 or 3, I'd usually by a couple and leave one.    I was clearly the collector there clearing out all that stock, and if the Target employee had decided to ignore the clearly posted rules about not checking stock and gone into the back for me......I could have got like 20 of them at one time.  If they had 10 cases, that's all of them.  What if there were two people like me in this town?  Yikes.

Now...eventually, hitting many Targets, TRUs, Wal Marts, etc....I was able to get about 40 of these puppies.  That means there are 20 cases worth of other figures I left there.

Who bought those? , I sure didn't need another "Exploding Body Grievous" or "Anakin duel" etc, etc.

My point is...yes, collectors generally buy one, maybe two of everything. If it's an army builder they buy more.  But once they have those figures...(Usually packed a couple per case, unless it' s one of those cool cases with nothing but new ones)......the other 6 or 8 figures sit on the pegs.

Who do you think buys those?  I mean....who's buying Darth Vader right now?  Who's buying Yoda?  R2?   You think it's people like me?

It's not.
It's the parents that took their kids to see the movie.
It's the kids who are in the aisle and begging their parents for one.
it's the guy who saw the movie and wants 1 or 2 figures for his desk.

No one army builds with Yodas.  No one I know anyway.  And collectors don't need 17 of them.

So all those "leftover" figures get bought by someone. The majority of the figures in the case.   Maybe that first week collectors buy them, but every other week until their gone....it's other folks.

That's what I'm saying.

Got Clones?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 07:01 PM »
well said but those are still hanging in my area- so right now..nobody buys it-because of the smaller SW section stores like target don't/can't restock. I tell you one day The bullseye's gonna look at all those cases in the back and half to make a decision ::) they will have to have clearance to make room to bring the figs out or redistribute to other Targets that need it. Either way they lose since these "old" toys 3-4 waves back will be going somewhere and now everybody wants the new stuff WM already stocked. A guy told me the other day they have 21 cases in the back collecting dust-wow you talk about a loss of money. I tell you WM's Isle may not look pretty but they're getting more of the new stuff AND selling it -I know personally several Target diehards that had to "break down" and go WM trolling to make their collection this year-just the way it is. :(

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 08:41 PM »
I think if all targets put out only the newest stock of everything (not just SW figures) the old stuff would never sell.

I mean, what do they do, empty the pegs of everything that isn't selling and only sell the 3 or 4 figures that are hot that week?

Don't get me wrong, we're all in the same boat. I hate going into Target every day and not seeing the 501st clones, or some other cool figure I want right now. However.....I'd much rather see things be sold gradually than see  4 full pegs of Orn Free Taa and Lama Su like my local TRU had for the last 3 YEARS!  Those were there right up until midnight madness.  I wonder what they ever actually did with those things.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I think its funny that this thread pops up all of a sudden after you and Jason had a tiff in the SoCal thread. You like to argue alot I think you should ditch the government and become a lawyer.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 11:37 PM »
than see  4 full pegs of Orn Free Taa and Lama Su like my local TRU had for the last 3 YEARS!  Those were there right up until midnight madness.  I wonder what they ever actually did with those things.  ;D

I laughed when I read this because that EXACT same thing happened at my local TRU! ;D

Actually I started this thread based on a comment I read that Lord Anton posted in our SC thread- damn, it spurred me into a frenzy about how irritated I get and it seems to be in one store (Bullseye) more than the others. Somehow simultaneously A Target Employee took offense and started with the personal attacks in THAT forum-did I respond with some? yeah- I don't lay down for people- sometimes when folks debate they get frustrated ...can't accept anothers' point of view and frustratingly start the personal attacks- Am I in the middle of them often? yes- I don't lay down for it..sorry, come on you should know metal ;). A lawyer. . . . nah. ;D thanks for caring ;)
And now on with the discussion

BTW I feel like I'm seeing red when I come out of that store
And I loathe that I come out such a smell goody, clean flowery store empty handed- but it seems to happen here more often then anywhere else-Although if I come out of a trashed Kmart or Wm there's no prettyiness trying to cheer my day- well, except for the cheap greeter that is ready to open their mouth when I give them a dirty (no, I didn't find everything alright) look then they refrain- but this is the exception here. ::)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Why must Target suck so for Star Wars?
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 12:02 PM »

-the store is deceivingly pretty red and sparkling clean and comes included with employees that reflect preprogrammed responses like "what's on the floor is what we have" which is utter complete ********-oh really, the stockrooms empty then?

- I have to look around the store forever or hope the one or 2 quality employees that want to make a sale(duh the number one goal-falls in line with customer service) is available so can gets something that day or at least get a non-preprogrammed response.

I'd like to elaborate on this point (and this is a common problem at my local bullseye stores-so it may not apply to your local bullseye). When a store stocks their product-(my stores it's either ready when they open or it may be done as late as 11am) they put enough out to fill the peg or shelf space which I have no problem over-any thing left over gets placed in the back.

What I DO NOT like is that dammed preprogrammed response you get about "what we have on the floor is it"- this being the rare occasion that you get in the store in the afternoon for example and let's say they put out 1 case(2 sets) of cup figs and put the other case in the back and now there's one cup left. why the laziness? it takes 10 work minutes to go get the other case-you sell it now or you sell it later so why not get it now because it's what the customer wants anyway? additionally if the store was catering to kids (for SW)like they say why wouldn't they go restock a requested item at a weird time?
I wonder at how many more customers they could keep if they did this.

If the goal is to NOT keep the product in the back and keep it on the floor for the customer to purchase then why not abide by the goal? If something is stocked and within 10 minutes to 1 hour of store opening those stocks are half full or empty...is there a duty here to be performed if someone asks?

and please no lame-no brainer advice about- go to the store when it opens..ect. I usually do this but it's not always possible-hey what about the folks that can only hit the store on their lunchbreaks?? 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 12:03 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 12:10 PM »
Target has better looking and younger employees than WM  :-*   i would agree that they dont stock as much SW as WM though. but i like them

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 12:38 PM »
OK DAMMIT!!! I agree with the girls reason :-[- I knew there was SOMETHING I liked about going in there ::)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2005, 12:54 PM »
I never really had a problem with Target, except for their short-run and overpriced exclusives.

But I've been able to acquire all their exclusive vehicles that I wanted, so I really can't complain. I wish they'd have kept the price for SW figures at $5.24 instead of jacking it up to $5.89.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2005, 01:02 PM »
why is it still that way amidst WM's $4.77? Geez No wonder so many unsellable mothmas, frogs, and pilots.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2005, 01:39 PM »
I can't really complain about Target either, although they do usually have a smaller overall section than Wal-Mart (but that's true of everything I guess).  My wife and I generally like shopping at Target anyways, for house stuff, DVDs, etc., so I like going there.  I haven't been chasing around all of their crazy exclusives this year aside from the cup sets, so I can see why that would be frustrating to a lot of people.  The fact that they've gotten into the habit of charging $13.99 for their "exclusive" repainted figures is frustrating though, but luckily there hasn't been anything I'm overly interested in.  Much like Ben mentioned, I don't think I've had too much trouble finding their exclusive vehicles...especially once I was looking regularly.  Their prices are often a little higher than WM too, although this year hasn't been too bad.  As of yesterday, our closest Target had basic figures priced at $4.89.  I can live with that, hopefully it stays there.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Target may not be perfect, but I find that it's about 10 billion times better than Walmart in just about every category imaginable.

Big ditto here.  I just dropped my Target vs. Wal-mart thoughts in the SoCal thread, which is likely where this topic was spawned from.  IMHO Walmarts are disgustingly filthy ****holes, and I do my best to stay out of them as much as possible.  In comparison to Walmarts, Target's are clean, have short lines, are easy to return things to, have 100x smarter people working in them, and have a much higher-end overall product line and thus clientelle.

No offense to anyone that thoroughly enjoys WM though.  Just not my cup of tea...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005, 03:17 PM »
I haven't seen a new figure in Target since the first time I had to walk out of my home in shorts this past summer, so i better sit this one out.

I will say that in my area Target has 0 peg hooks of figures, and Walmart has over 76 peg hooks.

WalMart wins in upstate NY.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda