Author Topic: Cantina Wave 2 Sets a No Go (For now)  (Read 49300 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Cantina Wave 2 Sets a No Go (For now)
« on: April 11, 2003, 11:15 AM »

This really ticks me off.  Hasbro really screwed the pooch by releasing retail death in Greedo, Hammerhead and Walrusman in the first wave.  Wave 2 minus Wuher is where these sets would have started to shine.  There are a couple of e-tailers, Brians Toys being one of them where you can order them still.  Expect to pay a hefty price for them though.  This is a line which makes perfect sense for the fan club or an on-line exclusive for an e-tailer.

I was hoping too that it would continue and we would get a Hem Dazon, Myo, Feltipern, Dice etc etc etc

:'(  You and your crappy decisions suck sometimes Hasbro Direct!
« Last Edit: September 2, 2003, 10:34 AM by OCB »

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Re: Cantina Wave 2 Sets a No Go
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 12:01 PM »
This sucks!! I guess I better get a new Credit Card so I can order these things.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Jango Fettish

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 12:05 PM »
I bet Brian will be laughing all the way to the bank. Whats the deal with the $7 dollar price difference between two figures? And $2 HANDLING!?

I guess price gouging wasn't enough for him.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 12:08 PM »
I can see the $20 price for these (he does have to import them at his cost and they did retail at around $12 IIRC) but charging $8 on top of that isn't right.  Buyer beware I guess and it is up to you how much you want to pay.  The alternative is to wait and hope that someone picks them up for '04.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 12:09 PM by OCB »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 01:06 PM »
This both sucks and blows at the same time as I really wanted Kitik. I'm holding out for a possible US release, so I won't be buying from an e-tailer.   Retail on the originals was $10, IIRC, Scott, but $20 is really not that bad considering the exclustivity of the item.  Anything higher, I wouldn't even consider.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 01:40 PM »
Not good, not good at all. Walmart here had the first wave on sale for $2.  
I really want them but not like this.
Not a good call at all.  :'(

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 02:39 PM »
Yes, this is very irritating indeed.  I was very much looking forward to getting these three sets.  Hasbro has disappointed us all again.  Way to go Hasbro! Thanks a lot.
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 04:57 PM »
I'd love to know which moron at Hasbro decided to release re-hases in the first wave, and then decide to throw in the better figures in the second... Common sense says that if Wave 1 has terrible sales, then the store (Wal-Mart, in this case), won't take Wave 2. How could anyone expect sales to be good when the wave has nothing but easy-to-find rehashes in it???

Now folks who 'need' the Praying Mantis are going to have to resort to paying scalper prices.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2003, 12:11 AM »
Now folks who 'need' the Praying Mantis are going to have to resort to paying scalper prices.

Damn skippy on that one!        8)
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 11:39 AM »
This wasn't really news.  It's been reported here: http://www.thejawa.com/index.php?page=showcomments&id=1692 in March, and more recently here: http://www.thejawa.com/index.php?page=showmonth&m=04&y=2003, and it's this news story:

"Cantina Scene Update  
Some of you might recall my earlier article on the second wave of Cantina Scenes. If not, check it out here.

I've been following up on this story with another Hasbro source. They have stated emphatically that wave 2 of the Cantina sets were never officially confirmed by Hasbro, and they are not scheduled for the 2003 toy line.
Nick | April 1st, 2003 "
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2003, 06:21 PM »
When recently as two weeks ago Galactic Hunter was saying they still are on tap...I'd say it is news.  They still made a production run and they are still selling them just not domestically but you can get them from e-tailers...that is the news
« Last Edit: April 13, 2003, 06:32 PM by OCB »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 08:24 PM »
Well, in a fit of panic and impatience, I bit the proverbial bullet today, and ordered 2 sets of these three Wave 2 Cantina figures from Amok Time.  The 2 sets (6 figures in total) ran me a grand total of $113.98 with $10 shipping, which comes out to exactly $19 a figure.  That SUCKS, but it's the best price I've seen on them yet.  But as a good buddy recently suggested to me, C.Y.A.!   ;)

I'm sure these will eventually trickle out to some additional outlets (probably just e-tailers) for a cheaper price, but for once, it just wasn't worth the risk to me.  I'll eventually pick up a third set of them as well, but I'll be more patient on that one and score those for a much better price eventually, I'm sure...

Here's where I ordered mine: Amok Time's Wave 2 Cantina Sets

Here's the link to the ones at Brian's Toys, which are priced just a tad higher (scroll down past the $200 Silver Boba Fett   :o  :P): BT's Cantina Sets

So who else is planning on picking this second wave up?  You going to bite the expensive e-tailer bullet, or exercise some appropriate patience and hope to score them for a more reasonable price somewhere down the line...?

I can't even begin to explain how disappointed I am that the Cantina line will most likely end now.  A couple curved pieces for the end of the bar (the "U" portion), and the distillery for the bar's interior, along with 3 more fresh choices for Aliens...  Oh, what a thing of beauty it would've been!  This really seemed like a sure fire thing, but Hasbro somehow still goofed it all up...   >:(

By OCB:
This is a line which makes perfect sense for the Fan Club...

Exactly what I just posted in another thread Scott!  I think it would be a perfect product pickup for the Fan Club!  Hopefully Vic will consider it, if he hasn't already...   ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 08:35 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 09:21 PM »
Wow, cool tip there Matt.  I still stnad by my earlier sentiment that these would make awesome Fan Club exclusives.  I am not sure what volume Hasbro demands for exclusives though which may be a problem.  For the right pieces (HEM DAZON, TONNIKA SISTERS, MYO etc) the amount may not matter.  Two or three of these a year with perhaps booths and table sections would be all too sweet!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 09:29 PM »
Hasbro makes me so mad.  They could have really done something special with these sets, and screwed it up by rehashing pegwarmers with the first wave.  There's no excuse for such blind stupidity!

Hopefully the fan club will indeed pick these up.  Oh how this Wookie hopes.

:P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 10:34 PM »
Now that they have the molds for the new Evazan and Kitik Keedkak, I say throw them on a blister card!  What a waste!

Most collectors have Wuher, so no big loss there.  I never liked the first wave anyhow, I couldn't bring myself to buy 3 figures I already have.

But Kitik!  I don't think we've seen the last of her...
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda