Author Topic: Cantina Wave 2 Sets a No Go (For now)  (Read 49296 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Cantina Wave 2 Sets a No Go
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 12:32 AM »
Do we have any clue where these will be distributed?  Non-US I understand, but is Canada still a different country?  I know the first three cleared at Walmart, but they did sell a ton initially, so no worse than many other items.  Or am I just living in a fantasy world? 8)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 12:51 PM »
I am planning to bite the bullet, but I haven't yet.  I'm moving in 2 weeks, so I can't order anything until I have a permanent residence.   I personally can't believe Hasbro's screwup either, other than it fits their pattern, historically speaking.  I'm sure I saw either at Brian's toys or Entertainment Earth that one of the 3 figures in the 2nd wave was less than the other two.  If my memory isn't failing, it was Kitak Keed'Kak that was cheaper!!!  I'm pretty sure it was Brian's Toys, known for ripping off people.   Why would the only new figure be $6 or so cheaper? ....  I just checked, for C-9 Wuher & Evazan is $21.99 ($20.99 for C-7/8) and Kitak is $14.99 for the C-9 ($13.99 for C-7/8).   I would think they would do it the other way around.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 03:45 PM »
Is Brian's Toys the only ones selling these right now?

Or is someone else taking pre-orders for possibly cheaper?

I'm pondering plunking the cash down just so I'm sure I get them...

Sucks though, because I was planning on buying at least 2 of each figure for customizing.  This was the best wave for customs that they had coming out...

Way to go Hasbro, you screwed the collecting community once again!  :)  If that's your business plan, you're doing a rock solid job.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 03:58 PM »
Check some of Matt's previous posts Jesse :-*

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 04:07 PM »
R2DToys are going to be carrying these as well.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2003, 05:08 PM »
too lazy to look at the sites, but hopw much are they?

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 05:12 PM »
I have a set on Pre-Order from Amok Time Toys for $51.99.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2003, 05:13 PM »
I have a set on Pre-Order from Amok Time Toys for $51.99.

When do they say they'll be able to fulfill your pre-order?  I heard later in the year around November or so.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2003, 05:36 PM »
I'm confused.  Is the 2nd wave going to be available at retail or just these online places or what?  I only want Kitik and that's it.  Are the etailers actually going to get these?  I don't want to plunk down $60 and have the etailer say "Sorry, these have been discontinued.  You'll get your money back from us in 11 years from now...maybe...if you are lucky that is."  

Last I heard was Hasbro was not going to realease them or they were to be delayed indefinitely.  Then shortly afterward GalaticHunter said they were still coming and fairly soon.  Is we is or is we isn't gonna have a chance to get em or what?  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2003, 07:13 PM »
Alright.  Let's see - lots of questions here...

Obviously we can never say for sure on anything that Hasbro does or doesn't do, but at the current time, all indications point to these Wave 2 sets not showing up domestically (and that probably includes Canada too).  They're probably just going to be in Asia and with several online e-tailers for the time being.  From everything we've heard, these won't be hitting the retail stores at all.

BUT, things often change - sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse (like with the Shuttle and the Sandcrawler respectively).  Hasbro's an unpredictable bunch.  It just doesn't make sense that these things may never see the light of day at a North American retail chain sometime in the future.  And if I had to place a bet, I think that somehow, someway, they'll eventually find their way over here to a more affordable outlet - possibly even the Fan Club.  But there's just no telling...   :-\

Bottom line is that you're assuming a risk if you don't bite the bullet and snag them right now from an e-tailer (like Amok Time or Brian's).  But at the same time, those of us who aren't willing to accept this risk and have placed our pre-orders already, might wind up disappointed when someone else gets them for significantly cheaper later on.  So it's really up to you folks to decide what you want to do.  I for one, said the hell with it and pre-ordered two complete sets from Amok Time for $114 shipped.  Good chance I'll find out later on that I overspent here, but oh well!  I'll wait to snag a third set later on from someone else for cheaper, since these will just be extras and I won't be too pissed off if I miss out on them.

I guess it really boils down to these more expensive e-tailer pre-orders being like "buying insurance".  I'm paying a little more now, to insure myself against missing out on these in the future.  Obviously, a lot of times paying insurance just turns out to be a waste of money and you never really need/use it.  But you just know that when you finally decide to pass on paying the insurance, it's going to be that one damned time that you really need it.  BTW, I've never placed an online pre-order for anything before until I did so with these just a couple days ago...

I'm sure some more e-tailers will follow suit and get some of these as well, but for the time being it looks like Amok Time and Brian's Toys are the only two offering them.  Little cheaper if you're getting the complete wave to go with Amok Time, but if you just want the new Kitik alien, then Brian's is the best route to go.  And I agree with you Pat, that it's quite odd that the Kitik is the cheapest of the 3 at Brians Toys, considering she'll be the one that's in greatest demand, for sure (since she's the only new one)!

Here's the Amok Time pre-order page, where they're $52 for all three.  My total shipping was $10 for 2 sets (6 figures), so it's probably less for only one set.  Their site lists the TENTATIVE date as some time in May, though that most likely won't be happening.  Don't recall if my order confirmation e-mail from them said anything to the contrary.  Doesn't even look like buying them individually at Amok Time is even an option at this point.

And scroll down this page at Brian's Toys for the Cantina pre-orders.  Looks like they're only sold individually at Brian's, and you generally will pay $8 for shipping and handling on your entire order.  No ETA at all listed at Brian's.  The Wuher and Evazan figures here will run you $21-22 each, while the Kitik Keed'kak is only $14-15 (not too bad).  This is probably your best choice Brian, and any other fellow Kitik only orderers!

Good luck everybody, whatever path you decide to take.  And we'll definitely bring you any further news on the situation as it develops!   8)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 07:28 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2003, 02:19 PM »
Thanks a bunch JediMAC.  I'm just going to preorder from Brian's Toys.  

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2003, 03:23 AM »
One more question. Does Amok Time charge your credit card upfront for a pre order or what?
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2003, 10:35 PM »
The website says no.  They updated what JediMac said regarding the availability date and with that update is an indicatation saying they don't charge until they are shipping.  Cool stuff and I may have to make an order.  I just wish I knew when so I could predict when the charge would be made.  I've got so much stuff on preorder, that if it all comes at the same time, my card could max out :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2003, 12:27 AM »
Everything is a pre-order these days, isn't it?   :P
dustrho

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2003, 11:32 AM »
I'm not too disappointed about these not showing up- I thought the first wave was a good idea until I bought a couple and saw how much they didn't sell.  Personally, I buy for nostalgia of the films, and I didn't know there was a praying mantis in the cantina until I saw a photo a couple years ago!  So, if I didn't see it on screen, I don't really need to buy it.  I also prefer the cleaner Wuher over the dirtier one, and I think Evazan needs a new carded and sculpted version.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke