Author Topic: 41st Elite (Legion or Corps?)  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
41st Elite (Legion or Corps?)
« on: October 3, 2005, 03:20 PM »
One of my favorite parts of ROTS is the Battle of Kasshyk - so I always tend to look for more info. on that, and the people involved. I've noticed that there is some confusion as to exactly what Commander Gree is the Commander of, and for whatever reason it bothers me...

From the StarWars.com Databanks:
Movies
"Clone Commander Gree, designation 1004, led the Elite Corps stationed on Kashyyyk during the Clone Wars. He served under General Yoda, commanding troops that employed specialized equipment for combat in the jungle environment."

Expanded Universe
"For his knowledge, he and his 41st Elite Corps were often stationed on worlds with indigenous species."

From the Star Wars Insider #84
"The 41st Elite were a Legion out of the 9th Assault Corps, under the command of Luminara Unduli and Commander Gree. They specialized in long patrols on alien planets, often operating in primitive and grueling conditions, in "hearts and minds" operations to forge alliances with native populations."

So is Commander Gree the leader of the 41st Elite Corps, under General Yoda, or the 41st Elite Legion, under Luminara Unduli - based under the 9th Assault Corps?

ps. Are there any known images of the 41st Elite's armor without the added camo?

« Last Edit: October 3, 2005, 03:23 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 41st Elite (Legion or Corps?)
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2005, 03:33 PM »
Well, I'd guess that Commander Gree is the leader of the 41st Elite, which is part of the 9th Assault Corps.

At the time of the Battle of Kashyyyk, the 9th Assault Corps was under the Command of General Luminara Unduli, but then maybe Luminara assigned Gree and his 41st Elite to protect Yoda during the battle of Kashyyyk or something.

Wasn't Luminara there on Kashyyk with Yoda?  They are both Jedi, so they both probably got to boss around Gree.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2005, 06:28 PM »
Masters/Generals Yoda, Luminara Unduli, and Quinlan Vos were in command at the Battle of Kashyyyk.

According to the Insider, a Clone Marshall Commander and Jedi General command a Corps of 4 Legions, while a Senior Clone Commander and Jedi General command a Legion of 4 Regiments.

Wouldn't that mean there could have been as many as 5 Jedi Generals at the Battle of Kashyyyk, depending on wether or not the entire 9th Assault Corps was present? Yoda may have only dispatched the 41st Elite, though, and not the entire 9th Corps...

I'm lonely.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2005, 04:16 AM »
Wait, I thought Vos was at Bos Pittie or some stuff?  That's what they said in the movie anyway I thought.

I really think the whole command structure of Clones is in the toilet right now...  Doing away with the color-coding for rank threw things off.  It seems to demean Gree a bit to make him a commander of a lesser group rather than the larger overall task force...  Kills the character some for me, but it's tough to rationalize what's what with E3's Clones I've found.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2005, 04:31 AM »
Wait, I thought Vos was at Bos Pittie or some stuff?  That's what they said in the movie anyway I thought.

I really think the whole command structure of Clones is in the toilet right now...  Doing away with the color-coding for rank threw things off.  It seems to demean Gree a bit to make him a commander of a lesser group rather than the larger overall task force...  Kills the character some for me, but it's tough to rationalize what's what with E3's Clones I've found.

I tend to just make up whatever crap I want, taking bits and pieces from various sources and patching together my own theories. The explainations Lucasfilm gives are complete crap, you can tell no one there has any idea what goes on in the military, they just pick words like "Corps", "Legion", and "Commander" becuase they think they sound cool. Hell even in the movie Cody is reffered to as a captain and a commander. ::)
"This is the way."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2005, 01:00 PM »
Obi-Wan's line about Vos occurs after Anakin skips out on the Jedi Briefing...

"In short, [the Outer Rim sieges] are going very well. Saleucami has fallen, and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity."

This means Vos wrapped up one of the biggest battles of the Clone Wars, and then moved his troops to another of the biggest battles, at Boz Pity, and then, somehow, we're supposed to believe, according to the ROTS Comic, that he turned around and became a Turbo Tank Commander at the Battle of Kashyyyk...

???

Hell even in the movie Cody is reffered to as a captain and a commander.

I never noticed that... Maybe he was recently promoted and someone let it slip?  ::)
« Last Edit: October 4, 2005, 01:04 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 12:18 PM »
wasn't the last issue obsession comic book about Boz Pity ?
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 7, 2005, 09:14 PM »
The gray  clones on Corusant are his troops.(notice the different "backpacks" antenna thing on some of them) this is there "dress" uniform.They have different color and different type armor for different planets.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2005, 10:48 PM »
The non scout armor 41st Troopers are the grey clones in the Star Destroyer assembly area. They're also the ones in the Target exclusive Battle Pack, Clone Attack On Coruscant.  :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2005, 11:09 PM »
Hell even in the movie Cody is reffered to as a captain and a commander. ::)

Captain Kagi.

Not Captain Cody.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2005, 05:19 AM »
if Ryan is referring to Palpatine's line after yoda's duel, it's indeed captain Kagi (at least subtitles in thater can help figuring out how to spell names  ;) )

I don't think Kagi is a clone, he must be some kind of navy officer we see at the end of ROTS on the bridge of the star destroyer (i'm not talking about tarkin but the other uniformed guys)

"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Carjup Bejewel

• Youngling
  • The dark side always prevails!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Well its not really an elite. It is a legion. The troopers that marched on the jedi temple was the 501st Legion. Its almost like a division.