Author Topic: New JD Review: Obi-Wan Kenobi Red Leader  (Read 8303 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
New JD Review: Obi-Wan Kenobi Red Leader
« on: October 3, 2005, 10:19 PM »
Great review Jesse! I really enjoyed the read and agree with you 100%. I think that this Obi-Wan could be my favorite figure ever, not just my favorite Obi-Wan figure. They did such a good job of hiding the articulation, with the exception of the crappy ankle pin. I think that we may see a fixed version someday, if it is ever repacked. Until thne though I'm more than happy with what we got. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Obi-Wan Kenobi Red Leader
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Yeah, great review Jesse...as always.  I actually got a couple of this figure just last week, and I think it is one of my favorite figures of the entire Star Wars line, definitely of ROTS.  This Obi-Wan is a perfect example that Hasbro can give us VOTC quality sculpts/articulation at the regular $5-6 pricepoint.  I have this figure alongside the ROTS Evolutions Anakin on my desk right now, and that's a nice duo together.  I hope we see more figures done in this fashion in the future, especially main characters...like the Endor ones you mentioned in your review Jesse :).

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2005, 12:42 PM »
I saw Obi-Wan on the shelf the day before yesterday - but decided to wait and see your review before I bought him. Because of the robes, Obi-Wan is almost a "blind buy"... I'll be going out to get him ASAP, so thanks!

;)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2005, 04:11 PM »
Cool review Jesse J, I agree a Mustafar "Battle Damaged" paint varient would be neat to see.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2005, 12:55 AM »
Holy ****, how did I forget to start a thread?  Ugh.

This week's review, as everyone already pointed out, is Obi-Wan Kenobi (With Pilot Gear).  Check out the full review because this figure was a doozey!

Overall I'd say this is probably my favorite basic prequal figure perhaps short of some of the Clones...  That's saying a lot as ROTS has been packed with pretty high-quality figures like the Collection 2 Jedi, etc.  This figure shows that you don't have to be wearing the white armor to get super articulation (even the ball/socket waist joint), and I think that's a major plus for (hopefully) some SA main characters in the future basic line.

Not to say I'm not cool with Evolutions being milked for main character greatness, but when you get a core guy like Obi-Wan done up in this kind of extravagant detail and articulation in the basic line it just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy as a collector.

I agree he's a great fig to pose with your Anakin Evolutions figure...  Or have him facing off against some 501st Troopers perhaps?  Or maybe Dooku Evolutions?

And there's much potential for future use of this sculpt.  Slap an Episode 2 headsculpt on it and I'd be a happy camper to buy that.  And I really think the "Mustafar Battle Damage" variant would be great.  Hell I'd even take an Utapau "wet-head" variant from the supposedly cut sequence of Obi-Wan wandering around in the puddle...  It'd be cool to me.

And to take it a step further I'd even re-buy this figure if they slapped generic human heads on it and cast it in different colors than Obi's robes.  I'd buy that and they seem to have little problem with EU Clones so why not EU Jedi too?

Suffice it to say, I really REALLY want Hasbro to get their mileage out of this figure.  I really WANT them to profit here.  It's something I'd buy over and over with only minor effort to make it unique.

Few flaws and tons of fun, this is one of my favorite figures in the modern line right now, definitely from all 3 prequal films, and it's easily the best Obi-Wan Kenobi figure ever if you ask me.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts you guys.  Nice to see the readers sounding off!  Make sure you let Hasbro know (if you have any chance, as in around the boards here) that this is the kinda stuff you like!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2005, 12:09 PM »
Great review as always Jesse.

My only gripe about this figure is lack of a softgoods robe, but it's still the best ROTS figure IMO.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2005, 11:34 PM »
Great review, and I agree, Obi Wan has to be the best figure they've done in the PT lines, maybe ever.

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 08:26 AM »
Have to agree, great review and great figure. I managed to find him at TRU a few weeks ago and I almost jumped for joy ;) Easily the best figure from the line, I hope Hasbro do use this as there only Obi-Wan from now on but I doubt that some how

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 01:50 AM »
That's a good gripe, about the softgoods robe Matt.  It's probably the only "flaw" on the figure, and seeing as how they did a nice enough one for the Evolutions Anakin I really feel they could've just done the same robe and packed it with Obi-Wan and made many-a-fan happy.

I too hope this figure's re-used for some "variants" and an E2 version so here's to hoping Hasbro sees the potential there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 04:10 AM »
It seems like they are using this sculpt for the Seperation of the Twins figure, so I guess thats a good sign

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 12:24 PM »
since i'm not too fond of soft goods (even if there have huge progress in them like ani evo and ki rots) i like the cloak obiwan is coming with

one of the best figs ever !
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Arguably the best figure in the line.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Arguably the best figure in the line.

MOST DEFINITELY!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 03:29 AM »
I'd agree that Obi's up there Anton...  Easily on par with the VOTC figures.  Really his falling back is perhaps my love of the OT over the PT...  That forces me to put a lot of the VOTC above him, but at the same time he's probably my favorite PT figure, even beyond Clones...  And I loves me some Clones, but man that Obi-Wan is just a great figure.

And with Evo Anakin it's nice to pose those two dueling as if on Mustafar.

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 03:02 PM »
This has to be the best Obi-Wan Kenobi figure from the Revenge of the Sith line because I think you can recreate almost any scene from Revenge of the Sith with this figure.