Author Topic: Are your Collecting Habits going to change with the new Saga Line?  (Read 10562 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Are your Collecting Habits going to change with the new Saga Line?
« Reply #15 on: November 8, 2005, 10:59 PM »
Truthfully I'm much more interested in vintage stuff these days.  I'm trying to bide my time on that as most people smarter than me are suggesting that will cool with respect to prices by about next summer.  So I watch tons of stuff and buy very little.  Quite frustrating though.

I'm trying to sway myself out of army building.  I don't do dioramas or play with the bloody things, so why am I bothering with armies?  Stoopid pack mentality ::) 

I'm also considerably more interested in the higher end stuff these days.  Hasbro's modern stuff will take up so much room once I pull it out of storage and I have too damn much of too damn many things - I think I'm down to six Tie Fighters now, but really, why the hell did I do that?

Like you Jesse my focus is on other things, but I'd say even more so for me. 
- vintage
- Sideshow
- Master Replicas
- Kubricks
- Gentle Giant

Moving is bad >:(

To answer the original question though, yeah, I hope I'll change and just pick up one of each figure that interests me.  I don't think I really needed or even wanted a Zett Jukasa but sure as **** there's one open behind me right now. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #16 on: November 8, 2005, 11:15 PM »
What I buy next year will be much, much less than what I've purchased in previous years.

I might buy three figures from the Geonosis wave, but I might not buy any of them. I don't know the Weequay Jedi's name, the Geonosian Warrior apparently has a name, Yoda, 3PO, Poggle, and Jango are lame-ass repacks, and I've played Republic Commando maybe twice. I like Clones, but I doubt I'll find this one.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 9, 2005, 09:59 AM »
I'll be continuing to look at trying to focus in my collecting even more next year, but I'm definitely welcoming the return of some OT figures to the mix.  Although repacks can be frustrating (especially the choices for repacks sometimes), I often don't mind them because it gives me an opportunity to save a little money.  Like many others, I'll be buying only half of the Geonosis wave, if even that.  I kind of have a little hierarchy of figure buying that I try to stick to.  For example, I look at the first couple OT-based waves next year, and I know that I definitely want all the new figures in those waves (and maybe a couple of the repacks).  If I can't find them locally, I'll look for help or head online somewhere.  When it comes to a wave like Geonosis, and some of the figures there, its more of "if I see them, I might pick them up" type of thing.  As of now, Sora Bulq, Poggle, and the Clone Commando are the ones I'm leaning towards getting.  If I don't find the Commando locally, I probably won't sweat it.  If I see it, I'll pick it up.  I use that same rationale for other figures/waves this year as well.  Overall though, I'll get most to all of the OT (and ROTS) offerings, and the prequels will be hit and miss.

I'm hoping I can cut the monthly budget back by quite a bit next year (and beyond) though.  This year was by far the most I have ever spent on Star Wars, or collectibles in general, and I spent more than I should have.  I am really trying to stick to just what I really want, and not buying up anything that is "new" just because I can't find anything else.  I've done a pretty good job with that this year, with ROTS, but there was just so much product out that I liked that it got expensive.  I'm another one who would really like to get further into vintage stuff, because that has gotten put on the backburner lately and it really holds a lot of interest for me.  The higher end stuff (MR and GG) really is great too, and I'd like to get into it, but its just not something we can afford right now.  And, of course, buying other lines (comic-based mostly - Marvel/DC) doesn't help matters any from a spending or space standpoint.  As far as my collecting habits next year, it will hopefully be streamlined...with these interests in mind:

- Basic Star Wars 3 3/4" - Non completist, just what I like, vehicles/beasts/deluxe/VOTC/etc included
 - "Other" Star Wars - Unleashed (Large), Galactic Heroes, possibly Kubricks
 - Vintage Star Wars - Complete, Loose Figures, then maybe Vehicles/Beasts or Carded Figs
 - Comic Collectibles - Comic Books, Marvel Legends, DC/JLU figures
« Last Edit: November 9, 2005, 11:40 AM by mosnab »

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 9, 2005, 11:10 AM »
I think I've about had it with all the exclusives and what not this year. I hadn't collected since the POTF2 line came out and after this year I remembered why. At this point I'm thinking about just dumping all of the ROTS stuff I've bought this year and take that cash to focus on the new saga line. I have almost all the VOTC figures I want and as far as new stuff I may just keep those and leave it at that. I'm thinking I'll pick up the entire new Saga line and focus on vintage. Everything else inbetween that isn't a ship or playset just might go. I'm not sure I haven't decided yet. It all depends on if I can complete my run of ROTS figures. I spent so much time chasing the short packs/repaints/variants that I skipped on the peg warmers thinking I'd catch up at clearance and now I'm not so sure, there are just too many damn figures in this run and they all came out too soon. They should have released 20 a year and cut the exclusives way back. IMHO. Then again who knows, I may change my mind. I collect too much stuff, too many lines and I really don't have the time to enjoy any of it.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 9, 2005, 12:49 PM »
Since I'm moving to Italy in a few months I'm changing a lot!  I'm guilty of army building with no real reason.   :-[  Maybe I'm afraid that if I only have one and lose it I'm screwed so if I have several I could lose one and I'd still have some.   I just get all fired up when I see clone troopers and stormtroopers on the pegs.  I have like 20 SA clonetroopers and I still try to buy them at Target...until I talk/guilt myself out of it.   

I don't know...maybe it's stupid but maybe I'll be glad I did it one day.  Can't play with look at more than one or two figures at a time anyway...I'm admiring the craftmanship!

However, it looks like the new Saga line is going to help cure me of army building as there isn't much to pick from.  I'd only need 4 figures from the Geonosis wave (all Commandos too ;)).

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 9, 2005, 07:40 PM »
With the arrival of our 2nd child and me getting laid off, I definitely plan on sticking to the plan of just 2 of every basic figure and exclusive.  Thats expensive enough.  I do hope to revisit army building down the road.  Only the next time I will only army build Imperials and Clones versus everything which I was guilty of before. 

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #21 on: November 9, 2005, 10:03 PM »
I've changed a bit.  I still pretty much only get one of each fig, place in a case, and display (now starting to store becasue I'm running low on space)

A lot of things I've really cut back on waiting for clearances.  I've really been into all the promo stuff lately.  You'd be amazed how many cool SW things there are that don't cost but a dollar (or less) when you wait for clearances.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 02:16 AM »
I've seen Bobafett14's wall of shame...  He truly is running out of space. :)  It's insane how much room a carded collection takes up.  Makes great decor though!

The basement at Bob's house is a SW collector's disneyworld.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 06:54 AM »
I've been trying to keep one of each card style and it's almost too much room for me.  I move every ~2 years and it's hard to keep up with all my loose figures and vehicles.  :'(  They take up like 12 of those 36 gallon plastic tubs. 

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 08:17 PM »
As far as basic figures go, for the RotS line I bought one of each figure plus all the variants/repaints and such and kept them all carded. For the Saga line, I will be doing things very differently. I am planning to just buy a few figures I want and open them all. I would really like to turn my focus away from these and toward other areas of Star Wars collecting, such as...

Bust-Ups
Unleashed
Galactic Heroes
MR .45 sabers
Titanium Vehicles
Super-D
minis
vintage

...and so forth

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 10:16 AM »
My collecting habits changed around the time of Episode 1/POTJ stuff.  I no longer picked up everything, only what I liked.  The crap that was Saga/Episode 2 made me cut back even more due to the preposed figures and action features.  ROTS figures made me start to like most of what Hasbro was doing, so I bought more Star Wars figures this year than I have in a long time.  Now I look at the new stuff they will be giving us and I am not impressed.  They are taking several steps back IMO.  The figure choices are not good, the articulation is going backwards and maybe I am starting to grow out of Star Wars toys somewhat.  I know I won't buy much of what we've seen.  I will only buy Leia from the Carkoon wave, the At At Driver, Veers and Major Clavin from Hoth, maybe the orange clone from the Geonosis wave and that's about it so far.  I have no need for the other crap they are giving us.  Like it would have been hard for them to redo the VOTC Boba and give us an SA Jango for Geonosis.  They could have modified the Pilot Obi body and given us an SA Mace and an AOTC Obi instead of that crap 3PO and the other preposed Jedi.  They could have given us an SA Hoth Stormtrooper in the Hoth wave.  They could have made the Carkoon Han SA and repainted the VOTC Boba for the Carkoon wave.  They are lazy and cheap and it will hurt them.  As I said in another thread, I have no need of the core characters if they are not SA.  We were spoiled this past year with SA goodness from ROTS and VOTC and Hasbro should realize that is what we will want from now on.  I will no longer buy any versions of Vader, Yoda, R2, Chewie or Boba unless they surpass the VOTC versions.  I only will buy  3PO if he has articulated elbows and knees.  I want SA versions of X-Wing Luke, Hoth Luke, Bespin Luke, a Jedi Luke that has hands that can actually hold his weapons and has a cloth skirt that doesn't impede movement, Hoth Leia, Bespin Leia, Endor Leia, Hoth Han, Bespin Han, Endor Han, General Lando, a good normal R5D4 and SA versions of all army builders they don't have plans for.  I will pick and choose from whatever else they give us.  They are going to have to work hard for my money from now on. 

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Now that I'm playing the college game, I have no choice but to cut back a bit, though to be honest, my interest in the line has kind of dimmed after ROTS. Mind you theres still a few things i like the looks of this year, and as long as Hasbro pumps out  Cantina Aliens, I'll buy em, but for the most part, out of all of the new stuff we've seen this year theres maybe 5 figures in there that i actually want and only about 2 that I'll actually buy right off.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 02:09 PM »
This weekend was somewhat of a revelation for me - I'm done with Hasbro.  I'm not sure if it's actually related to Toy Fair or not, but I've realized there's simply too much being put out by Hasbro and I just can't keep up.  So I don't want to do it anymore.  Their blistering pace of figure releases, expensive and inaccessible exclusives, stupid gimmicks and simple lack of anything that truly excites me has taken the fun out of it, so why continue?  I got into this because it was fun and I love Star Wars, so I'm going to focus on other areas - God knows there are enough companies out there to choose from. 

That being said, I will continue with VTSC, because it's the one sub-line that still interests me.  It shall make for a much lesser impack on my wallet, at least from Hasbro anyway.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 03:51 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else has been trying to figure out what lines to collect this year, after seeing all the stuff at Toy Fair this weekend.  I know I am a small-time collector compared to many of you here, but I'm even trying to figure out where best to spend my collecting money.  There is just so much nice product out there, and so many lines in general.  I couldn't imagine trying to not only keep up with Hasbro, but also things like Mini Busts, Bust Ups, Statues, Sideshow 12", mini Unleashed, Titanium, larger Titanium, Titanium figures, Galactic Heroes, Attacktix, Transformers, LEGO, miniatures, Code 3, and so on and so on.  I don't collect even half of that stuff, but its tough enough keeping up with 3-4 lines (and that's only in Star Wars).  I know I've really been giving a hard look at what I want to collect in 2006 and beyond, especially with money is limited and I've been trying to cut back anyways.

I think I'll always collect the Hasbro stuff, at least in some capacity, as long as the line continues in a similar direction.  I will agree with Jesse though, the pace of things this year has really been intimidating.  If you collected Hasbro basic and only that, it might be a little more manageable, but there isn't a whole lot of us that do that anymore.  I can't imagine being a completist, or trying to find 2 or more of each of these figures.  I'm looking forward to the new stuff coming in 06, especially the OT-based stuff.  I'll pick up some PT stuff as well, but really, I think aside from new, SA main characters, Jedi, and Clones, there won't be a whole lot else I'll get anymore from the PT (a few exceptions aside).  Figures like the VTSC, Chirpa, Imp. Gunner, R5-D4, Garindan, Hem Dazon, Hammerhead, etc. have me quite exicted though, and I hope we get to see more of what is coming up later in the year.  Beyond that, I need to decide what I want to do because space and budget are limited.  I didn't want to ever have a collection that overwhelmed our office, and it might be getting closer to that if things continue the way they have.  Anyways...has anyone else had a change of heart or maybe just starting to reconsider things after what we've seen at Toy Fair?

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I think the word intimidating is a good one Brian. The sheer volume of lines, and product for each one, is overwhelming. Back in 1995 when the line was reintroduced, keeping up was no problem. I tried to do one carded, one loose, and another carded for my younger brother in law. Then the ships started coming out, and the micromachines, and I enjoyed it, but slowly had to start cutting back. I consider myself fortunate to own a home, but there is only so much space that can be allotted, and so much money that can be allocated.

I like some of what Hasbro had to show at Toy Fair. Momaw, R5-D4, the death star gunner, and some of the others. I loved the saga hoth wave, but much more I find myself planning on cutting my Hasbro intake significantly. Price per item, space, sheer volume of product, limited articulation, re-releases, chase figures, and the availability of other nice items that aren't remakes of a 4 year old figure (Kubricks anyone?) will all be factors. 

I think I will  be re-evaluating my current Hasbro collection. It is far from complete anyhow, so I may as well start focusing my Hasbro purchases. I am thinking Death Star, Tatooine, and Hoth. From the prequels I will probably always be a sucker for troops, but 1 of each will should be enough. I would like more army builders for the original trilogy, but they need to find a different (and less expensive) way to offer them. Army builders at 7.00 each (or 12.00 for bikerscouts) and one per case will drive many of us crazy.