Author Topic: Your favorite Evolutions set so far (wishful thinking)  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Your favorite Evolutions set so far (wishful thinking)
« on: October 5, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I just had a chance to open the third of the evolution sets last night—Sith Lords.

Man, what a great set this is. Sure, its a little disappointing with Maul's elbow joints and wierd robe, but everything else, In my opinion, is spot on. To be honest, I've always preferred the Maul robes from the speeder bike set or even the Sith accessory pack, so the plastic robes don't bother me.

Dooku is awesome. I really didn't think they would be able to top the ROTS version, but I have to say that I really like this one. The cape is the correct color, and even hangs more realistically. I love the fact that you can replace his hands with the force-lightning hands!

Maul is cool. Easily the best sculpt of the character that I've seen. The figure would have been absolutely perfect with ball-jointed elbows, but its still a great figure.

Sidious is the clear winner in this set. I've posed him in a bunch of different ways since opening the package. He looks great fighting Yoda, with lightsaber in one hand and force lighting in the other. He also looks great on top of Emperor's Wrath Darth Vader, right before getting thrown down the Death Star shaft. He can be posed in so many different ways that it makes it a difficult decision exactly how to pose him for display...and that makes a stellar figure, in my opinion.

So basically I guess my rating of these sets would be as follows...

1. Sith Lords
2. Anakin to Vader
3. Clone to Stormtrooper
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
Re: Your favorite Evolutions set so far (wishful thinking)
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2005, 10:47 AM »
I only have the Clone set.  I have passed on other two several times.  If they hang out, I might get them later.

I like the clone set but it could have been way better.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Good topic.  I guess I'll rate each figure based on my personal thoughts, and give a little summary first and then grade them.

The only thing that bugs me about the Sidious is the face... I would prefer two versions, one like it is, and one with a ROTJ head.

The Dooku to me is inferior to the ROTS one.  The regular figure is just so nice and I love the removable wrists of the basic figure that came out in April.  Also, for some reason I don't like the silk waist tunic on the Evolutions Dooku, or the face.

Maul, however, is outstanding.  I love this figure.  Definitely one hell of a figure, and much needed.

Both Anakin figures to me are nearly perfect, as is the Vader.  No complains at all.

For the Clone set, I just wish they had better waist articulation.  Everything else is great, especially when you turn the AOTC trooper into a pilot!  That's so cool.

CHEWIE's Evolutions overall grades, on a 1-10 scale -

AOTC Anakin - 9

ROTS Anakin - 9

ROTJ Vader - 9

Darth Maul - 9

Count Dooku - 7

Palpatine - 8

AOTC Clone - 9

ROTS Clone - 8

Sandtrooper - 9

:P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2005, 01:10 AM »
Man, this is a really hard question. Seriously. They are all top quality, but I think I have to to go with the sith lords set myself. But, that may change when the new clone set comes out with the added belt for troop type options.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2005, 02:48 AM »
I'd say I'm still happier with at least 2 VOTC figures more than any of the Evolutions figures.  Stormie and Chewbacca all the way there...  And honestly I'd say I think that Pilot Obi-Wan and SA Clone sculpts are nicer (in my eyes) as well, just in a general sense.

That said, the Evoltuions sets are outstanding to me in most every respect.  They each have some flaws...  little gripes that really are the kinda stuff that Hasbro does that just pisses you off enough to think something isn't perfect.

For instance on the Anakin set, E3 Anakin's head can't tilt down enough and E2 Anakin doesn't have poseable ankles (and they HAVE ankle molds from the Secret Ceremony figure, why not just use those even to save a penny?).  Also the Anakin set lacks 2 blades which is flat out asinine and frustrating in my opinion.  Also Vader's saber can't clip to his belt yet it can on the VOTC figure.  Little **** like that is annoying and pretty much excuseless.  I mean, how hard is it to make 3 saber blades, 3 hilts that clip to belts.  Problem solved.  They have the molds even!   ::)

And on the CLone set, the lacking articulation at the waist for two of the troopers is probably the most irritating aspect but I'd say the lack of an E11 is equally annoying.  I'm actually a little down on the gun sculpts too (love the big Sandie gun though), as they sorta don't look right with the other guns but I digress.

The Sith set turned out to be probably my favorite.  I'd have dug sabers with removable blades and clippable hilts though, and a 2nd head for Palpatine (neutral) perhaps.  Without a doubt though, they're the 3 best articulated figures out of all the Sith sets.  They're all SA minus ball/socket torsoes, and that's pretty great considering the other 2 Evolution sets had articulation lacking on each figure save for one.  Maul's arms are passable, but Palpatine and Dooku are just perfect (and I have to say that Dooku even won me over with that great ROTS sculpt out there already...  plus that figure's good for his death scene if you want). 

The Clone set though is damn close in 2nd or even tied simply because it's army-builder focused.  The grey set looks more condusive to my obsession but the Yellow set is pretty good too since you can make your E2 Clone a pilot instead of a Commander.

If I had to pick a single figure I love the most though, it's the Sandtrooper.  Lacking articulation aside, I'm a classic trilogy fan first and foremost so a near-super articulated army builder like this is great.  His cannon kicks much ass and I'm all set to turn some of these guys into grunts and send their pauldrons off to my VOTC Stormie army as Field Officer Pauldrons.

So to wrap up, the Sith set's currently getting my seal of approval as the best overall set as far as quality/effort.  The best figure in my POV is the Sandtrooper just because I love Classic Trilogy army builders.  Why not just re-use the VOTC Stormie's sculpt though and slap a new belt and pauldron on it?  Voila...  Saves the cost of all the mold tooling they needed to make the figure.  Just make a pack, a belt, a gun, and pauldron you can adapt to the VOTC sculpt...  But I digress.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77