Author Topic: When did the Empire change their eqiupment?  (Read 9875 times)

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
Re: When did the Empire change their eqiupment?
« Reply #15 on: October 1, 2006, 01:21 PM »
Hurray, its a shame the empire didnt just stick with the phase 2 armor...say...wouldnt phase 3 armor be stormtrooper armor?  :P
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2006, 04:20 PM »
ehhh battlefront 2 isn't really the most 'cannon' EU out there :-\
It's canon, not cannon & the story of BF II is considered pretty canon. The rest is non-canon.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 1, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Well BF 2 isnt too great, I mean its a really fun game but think about it, the clones would all be dead due to aging twice as fast as normal and parts of the game didnt make too much sense and it is all not "Cannon".
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: October 2, 2006, 01:41 AM »
It's canon, not cannon & the story of BF II is considered pretty canon. The rest is non-canon.

The story of BF2 isn't canon at all I'm afraid...  If it's something directly from the films though of course it is, but if it's not in the films it's only a part of the EU is all. 

That's not to say BF2 doesn't fit in well enough or whatnot...  To each their own on that, but BF2 (and BF) both introduce a lot of non-film elements that aren't canon...  Pretty much everything about them really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 2, 2006, 03:33 AM »

Wait...what? Are you actually saying there's a shred of truth to the 501st fighting in every major battle in SW history?

No. I thought not.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 2, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Well, the 501st storyline doesnt make sense...at least storyline wise...
Their armor was as I like to think changed after 10 years, at least over the decade with a few changes mixed in the improve the armor a bit by bit before being completed and mass produced cheaper.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #21 on: October 2, 2006, 09:14 PM »
...the story of BF II is considered pretty canon.

People have tried to bash this into your brain many times before... and god damnit, you're wrong. BFII is in no shape or form canon.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 2, 2006, 10:09 PM »
No, but regardless people find it hard to not call it canon because they love the game and consider it canon. At least to themselves.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 2, 2006, 10:41 PM »
The game wasn't even that good.

[rant] After killing 500+ droids on the Tantive without dying once I realized there were better things out there. And surprise, when I went back to DOD (a Half-Life Mod) I found that playing against AI really doesn't help you develop as a gamer. If that's how you judge games, I hope you agree that BFII wasn't so great at all and therefore isn't "canon". [/rant]

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: October 3, 2006, 04:36 AM »
A game's greatness means nothing for its "canon" either though, of course...  I love X-Wing: Alliance, it's a fantastic (if unfinished) story that fits flawless into the story of Star Wars but it's not canon... 

The things in BF that I always disliked and made me look "down" on it as far as "canon" goes are the things like armor not changing for troopers and things, the way armor is different for a heavy trooper but he isn't the trooper appropriate to that legion, etc...  Just weird stuff.

I dig some stuff about the games, I can see things loosely fitting into continuity, but the way the game plays kills a lot of it.  THe story is weak too, the game isn't story-centric as much as it's just a "plug through this map, then plug through that one" game format.  It's not like, say, X-Wing: Alliance where your earlier mission builds into your next, cut-scenes carry the story along further, training plays a factor, etc., etc., etc... 

BFI or II are both ok for what they are but their various "elements" are things I pick and choose how they fit into the SW universe...  Like I dig the Tat. Skiff being used as an infantry vehicle, like it's something common on planets around the galaxy, but there are things like the armor issues and whatnot that retard the game and its believabiliyt overall whereas other games like Dark Forces fit into the SW universe flawlessly really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 3, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I still think that after about 10 years the empire would have changed the armor due to the new recruits and the original armor being too expensive to make.
So they would have created a new kind of armor, a cheaper, lighter type.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: October 5, 2006, 02:55 AM »
I can see armor changing, no doubt...  progress and all despite the universe being kind of "static".

The issue of it "costing too much" though is bullox, as they say...  We're talking about a government that spans "a million million worlds" and things.  I think cost is a factor, but something like trooper armor isn't going to be effected.

I'm also not sure I'm into the whole thing on Clone armor being better and whatnot...  That's just people trying to say ST's are "worse" than CT's...  Which I've never liked because the films really don't fairly display that idea one way or the other.  Afterall we rarely see them in true combat, just against the heroes of a story...  It all gets just mixed up and silly to me how people have to say "Clones are superior than what we see in ANH-ROTJ" and things.  I don't believe them to be better, nor worse.  That's me though.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 5, 2006, 04:56 PM »
I'm just going with what's in the Guide to weapos and tech.  My heart is always for the better looking OT troopers though. =)
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 5, 2006, 10:04 PM »
Well, I guess in clones to stormies its personal preference.
I'm a clone man myself but the stormies are very cool and I am  a bit mad that I hadnt seen more imps before when the potf2 stormie had finally been replaced by the newer ones...even so this isnt a collecting discussion so back on topic.

I think that they would have changed it in the middle with maybe a few changes along the way.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 7, 2006, 03:05 PM »
I'd say the change was almost immediately after Sith.  By Sith the armor was already shifting towards the stormtrooper version.  All the customized units were all known for who lead them, jedi, and the Emperor wants that all wiped away. 

Order 66 goes out, then all the paint jobs are revoked and the customized units are paired down to the bare min.  Snow, sand, commando, water, space, normal.
who Learned you To spoke!