Author Topic: Favorite '80s Toy/Toon License?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Favorite '80s Toy/Toon License?
« on: September 25, 2007, 04:10 PM »
It seems like quite a few of us have interest in the toys (and cartoons they came from/with) from the '80s, and when those toylines get revived they seem to get a lot of attention in both this community and in other areas of the web.  Which toyline do you remember the most fondly - do you have a favorite, or are they all equal?  Just curious what some of your favorites are (outside of Star Wars of course)...here's a few off the forums here, feel free to add any others:

He-Man/Masters of the Universe
G.I. Joe
Transformers
M.A.S.K.
Thundercats
Go-Bots

There are others, and I guess you could include things like Super Powers and Secret Wars - but those are kind of more ongoing properties with the comics being out consistently for a long time now.  Anyways, which are your favorites?  I watched and/or had at least some of all of the ones listed above - and enjoyed them all, but I think that He-Man probably got the most play (and I seemed to get these more often as gifts as well).  G.I. Joe would be a close second - if not tied, and Transformers third.  I just never seemed to get a lot of Transformers for some reason, although I wanted them.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:32 PM by Brian »

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite '80s Toy/Toon License?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Wasn't around for the 80's, but here are some of my favorites...

GI Joe
Thundercats
Transformers

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 07:03 PM »
He-Man
ThunderCats
Silverhawks
Tigersharks
Super Friends
Secret Wars
Voltron
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2010, 02:18 PM »
This is more directed to the "toy" side of this, but I was just reading this topic over at AFI, asking for the "favorite toy line of the 80s".  This is pertaining only to non-licensed, company owned lines (so Star Wars, etc. isn't included), and specifically asking what your favorite was:

G.I. Joe
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Transformers

Anyways, I thought it was an interesting topic, and was curious how some here felt.  It is all dependent on your personal opinions, of course, and many of us probably had some of all three - but what was your favorite?

For me, I had some of all three.  I probably had the most He-Man and Joe stuff, and just a handful of Transformers (mostly smaller ones).  Not that I didn't want more, I guess I just didn't get those for gifts as often.  For Joes, I had mostly figures and only a couple vehicles (Killer WHALE and some smaller things) - although I always wanted more.  For He-Man, I had quite a bit of things ranging from figures to both Greyskull and Snake Mountain, to things like Battle Cat and the Attack Trax.  Although I enjoyed all three, I'd say Joes were probably my favorite, with He-Man a close second.  Transformers were great too, but I can't say I "played" with those as much.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2010, 03:15 PM »
I was a tad too young for SW stuff for whatever reason as a kid and only had a few things, but they're not on that list so...

My big two were G.I. Joe and Transformers.  I had gobs and gobs from each line too.  I remember Scorponok/2 triple-changer headmasters and the Joe Condor/Crusader Shuttle being my last of those two lines back in the 80's before things got wrapped up.  Sold those lines off in the 90's only to come back to them in 01 and 07 respectively.  Me and my buddies had a few He-Man figures, but we burnt them all up in a fire for some reason.  I never really cared for the figures, but I remember watching the toon quite a bit. 

Hasbro still owns me
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2010, 05:52 PM »
G.I Joe, Transformers, The Real Ghostbusters, TMNT, Thundercats, Super Powers

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Hmnn...I watched a lot of these cartoons, but didn't buy much from the toylines.  I was mainly Star Wars, Lego Properties, and Comics.  I'd have to go with these from what I had:

Transformers
Battlestar Galactica
Go-Bots (I just used these as added Tformer characters)
He-Man/Masters of the Universe
Sectaurs
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Late 80's?)
Clash of the Titans

Funny that half of these are still around or coming back in some form 25 years later.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2010, 10:50 PM »
GI Joe/Transformers (more the former than the latter, but loved the Transformers toon).

I even won a contest (about the only thing I've ever won, haha) where if you called in with the "word of the day" first, you won a year's worth of toys from whichever brand you preferred.  I won all the GI Joe toys that year.  I recall it was how I got the Rattler, Water Moccassin, SHARC and other stuff.  Lots of figures, lots of vehicles.  About 50% were things I had and 50% were things I was giddy to get, so that was a cool time.

The word of the day was "Optimus Prime".  Remember it to this day.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Favorite Cartoons:
1. G.I. Joe
2. Transformers
3. Smurfs
4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
5. Inspector Gadget

Favorite Toys:
1. G.I. Joe
2. Transformers
3. M.A.S.K.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2010, 01:13 PM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2010, 01:07 PM »
There were Spiderman and Inspector Gadget figures back in the 80's?  Man, I missed out.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I was thinking what cartoons I liked the best back then.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I was thinking what cartoons I liked the best back then.

Ah, I was thinking "Favorite 80's Toy/Toon License"   ;)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2010, 02:18 PM »
As a kid, hands down my favorite line was G.I. Joe.  My brother and I always had epic battles spanning across our entire basement.  He always bought the good guys, I always bought the bad guys - this made for some intense wars!

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 9, 2010, 03:30 PM »

G.I. Joe
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Transformers

This is my list in order