Author Topic: NBA 2005/06  (Read 54928 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
NBA 2005/06
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:35 PM »
EDIT:  Splitting this off the old NBA thread, and starting the new season's thread right here. - M

Scott E Roth Cup For Excellence in Mock Drafting tonight!

My picks

1. Bogut
2. M. Williams
3. D. Williams
4. Paul
5. Green
6. Felton
7. Webster
8. Frye
9. Wright
10. Granger
11. Korolev
12. Warrick
13. Graham
14. Vazquez

Wolves need all sorts of help, I hope McHale finally pulls his head out of his drafting ass.  Their scouting/draft history SUCKS
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 01:58 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NBA 2004/05
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:37 AM »
1. Bogut
2. M. Williams
3. D. Williams

4. Paul
5. Green
6. Felton
7. Webster
8. Frye
9. Wright
10. Granger
11. Korolev
12. Warrick
13. Graham
14. Vazquez

5 right...about normal actually, I didn't win

I can't believe the Wolves passed up Warrick for McCants

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 01:43 PM »
I was actually kind of happy to see the Wolves pick McCants, but this is coming from a UNC fan from a ways back.  He really is a talented player.  Warrick would have been a nice pick too, I was quite excited to see both were still available when the 14th pick came around.  I really think there were a lot of talented players in this draft, but some teams really blew it once again..at least in my opinion.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 01:57 PM »
There's a new Shaq in town, baby!  8)

Youngest player ever drafted though, so by the time we groom him into shape in 3 years, he'll be off to a new team, I'm sure...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:33 PM »
Toronto, Golden State and LA screwed their picks big time...not saying I don't like McCants, I'd just rather have Warrick.  McCants supposed attitude problems is not what the Wolves need right now

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 02:46 PM »
I think the people that draft are just stupid. 
1. Bucks - good pick
2. Hawks- You already have Josh Smith and Al Harrington playing the same position, they should've pick Paul
3. Jazz - got the guy they wanted
4. Hornets - um didn't you trade Baron to give Dickau playing time, now you have 3 pgs
5. Bobcats - same as Hornets, Brevin and Hart actually did a good job last year.  Needed a swingman
6./7. Blazers/Raptors - don't know what they're thinking
8. Knicks - good pick
9. Warriors - good pick, playoff contender if Baron stays healthy
10. Lakers - why?   ???

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Some minor news, just concerning free agency signings.  Sounds like Ray Allen (Sonics) and Michael Redd (Bucks) will be re-upping with max deals with their respective teams.  However, news today sounds as if Larry Hughes will be signing with Cleveland, and leaving Washington.  Although maybe not the "pure shooter" they wanted/needed, I think he will be an excellent addition to their team.  I've always enjoyed him as a player, and I think he is fairly under-rated.  Most definitely a step up from their previous SGs.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 09:16 AM »
Well, it looks like Larry Brown is out of Detroit...and moving on....again.  Surprise, surprise.  If he does decide to coach again, it will likely be in New York.  I think they Knicks need more than LB to turn things around though, we'll see.  Some other random free agent signings:

Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall - Cleveland Cavaliers
Shareef Abdur Rahim - New Jersey Nets
Stromile Swift - Houston Rockets
Kwame Brown (via Sign and Trade) - Los Angeles Lakers
Antonio Daniels, Caron Butler (Sign and Trade) - Washington Wizards

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Some other random free agent signings:

Kwame Brown (via Sign and Trade) - Los Angeles Lakers
Antonio Daniels, Caron Butler (Sign and Trade) - Washington Wizards

What happened to the Lakers' Chucky Atkins in that equation?  I thought he was supposed to go with Caron Butler...  Is he going in a 3-way trade now, up to Seattle for Daniels?

As for Larry Brown, boy, that's a shock.  ::)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 09:21 AM »
The last I heard on that proposed Lakers - Wizards deal (can't go through quite yet I guess) broke down like this:

Lakers Receive:
F/C - Kwame Brown
F - Laron Profit

Wizards Receive:
F - Caron Butler
G - Chucky Atkins

Also, last I heard it sounded like Antonio Daniels was prepared to sign with Washington.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2005, 01:38 PM »
It is sounding like Joe Johnson will get his wish to be part of a sign and trade between Phoenix and Atlanta.  Johnson has made it known recently that he was hoping Phoenix would not match the Hawks' offer sheet, so he could go to Atlanta.  From the best record in the NBA to one of the worst teams...not sure if I get it...aside from not liking being "4th fiddle" behind Nashty, Marion, and Amare.  Here's the details:

Atlanta Receives:
G/F - Joe Johnson (signs 70M contract as part of sign and trade)

Phoenix Receives:
G - Boris Diaw
Two future 1st Round picks (lottery protected)
5 M Trade Exception

I've always been a bit of a fan of Phoenix, and I was happy to see them do so well last season.  I really thought the core they had could continue for a number of years...but this throws a wrench in that.  Aside from wanting to be a primary option, I'm not sure why Johnson would do this.  He could have gotten big money from Phoenix anyways (they were planning to match any offers), and been part of a very good team.  After trading Q Richardson to NY, and now probably losing Joe Johnson, I hope that Phoenix heavily pursues Michael Finley...who is said to be available.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2005, 03:57 PM »
Now that signings andtrades can officially happen, here's another one reported today:

Sacramento Receives:

G - Bonzi Wells

Memphis Receives:

G - Bobby Jackson
C - Greg Ostertag

It sounds like it is possible Ostertag could be moving on (back to) Utah, but that isn't confirmed yet.  I'd say if Bobby Jackson could stay healthy for once, Memphis got the better end of this deal.  Bonzi is talented, but has always been a bit of a head case.

Other rumors include....Jason Williams heading to Miami, Antoine Walker to Miami, Michael Finley going somewhere, Damon Stoudemire possibly to Memphis, and others.  Could be a different landscape once again once everything falls into place for the different teams.  Hopefully Minnesota can be back in the hunt this year ;).  Glad to see them rid of Spree, and pick up a former Heel in McCants.  Its a start anyways.  I agree, good plan for Miami to seal up Shaq for (likely) the rest of his career.  They should be contending once again this year.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Wow, big ole trade going down yesterday, involving 5 teams and 13 players.  Here's the rundown:

Miami Receives:

G - Jason Williams
F - James Posey
F - Antoine Walker
G/F - Andre Emmett
C - Roberto Duenas (Spain - draft rights)

Memphis Receives:

G - Eddie Jones
G - Raul Lopez

Utah Receives:

C - Greg Ostertag

Boston Receives:

C - Curtis Borchart
G - Qyntel Woods
C - Albert Miralles (draft rights)
2 2nd Round Picks
cash

New Orleans Receives:

G/F - Rasual Butler
G - Kirk Snyder

Whew, I think that's all of it.  Biggest trade in NBA history, pending physicals for all the players involved.  I'm not sure what I think of the deal for Miami, who is the biggest dealer in this trade.  You get rid of Eddie Jones' big contract, but he was a decent player.  Plus, the Heat might have been a healthy D. Wade away from the finals last season.  I've never been a big fan of Antoine Walker (or Jason Williams really for that matter) and it will be interesting to see how the mesh with the rest of the Heat team.  Shaq took a pay cut for some moves to happen, apparently asking personally to lower his contract from $125 to $100 million.  Either way, he's not going to be starving, but they did say it cut off up to $10 per season from his deal.  Hope it was worth it.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2005, 04:25 PM »
And Boston does what, again?  The Walker-revolving-door program continues ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2005, 09:23 PM »
And Boston does what, again?  The Walker-revolving-door program continues ::)

I don't know, Wade, Shaq, and Antoine is quite a triumverate.  They are going to be an offensive beast.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda