Author Topic: NBA 2005/06  (Read 54943 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2005/06
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2006, 06:13 PM »
i have to wonder if amare can really help the suns right now.  i know he is an amazing talent, but if his game is rusty, he could be a detriment to their chemistry just as they head into the playoffs.   

i think either way they are doomed to a 2nd round dismissal anyhow, but i have to wonder if they just let him sit this season and post season out if that wouldn't actually be better for the team.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2006, 08:29 PM »
  I still think that Detroit's the favorite to come out of the East, but a lot can happen in a seven game series.

I have a different perspective on a 7 game series.  I think in a longer series like that, the law of probability has more time to take effect, and that the better team is more likely to win.  I think stranger things happen in a short series, where an off game carries a much heavier weight.  In the long run, more predictable things happen.

In other words, I'm going to go on record right now to say that as long as Ben and Rasheed Wallace, Billups, and Rip are healthy, the Piston are a lock to win the East.
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Amare looked pretty good in his season debut last night...20 pts and 9 reb in 19 minutes of work.  He didn't seem to lose anything during his rest, and looked pretty close to his normal form in the limited playing time.  Hopefully he didn't come back too soon, he is such a great young talent and fun to watch, so hopefully he won't have further trouble with the injury.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2006, 12:22 PM »
yup... i might have been wrong.  amare put up some great numbers in limited minutes.  i thought for sure even if he was good he would just be taking away from someone else.  he's even more scary as a 6th man that can bang out 20 and 10 in 20 minutes.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 1, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Did anyone catch the Cleveland/Miami game today?  The way Wade and LeBron kept going back and forth was just plain awesome.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Finally, the "pre"season is over, and the real season starts.  My Spurs battle the Sac Kings in the first round.  First time these two teams have played in the playoffs in a long time, if not ever.

Artest makes the Kings a really different team.  Bibby is still a dangerous player.  This should be a fun series, especially with Artest guaranteeing the Kings will not lose in the 1st round. 

The Spurs are finally getting healthy.  Despite the most wins in franchise history this year, this team has not been 100% since the beginning of the season. 

At least the real season is starting.... ;D
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2006, 04:22 PM »
It is being said that Steve Nash will win his second consecutive MVP award.  I will now light myself on fire.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2006, 03:27 PM »
JediMac,

Where art though??? 

Suns baby.  I was invited to last nights game by a friend from work, first ever playoff game.  What a rush. 

Every time Nash went to the line the crowd chanted MVP...MVP.

Every and I mean every time Kobe got the ball the boo's in the stadium was unreal.  Playoff basketball is awesome  :o.

I was so jazzed, I realized that I am a Suns insider and get an e-mail with a password to purchase tickets two hour prior to the general public.  So guess what...I logged in to Ticketmaster at 10:00 AM this morning, entered my password, and now am the owner of x4 tickets to game 5 on Tuesday night!

We have a series...

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2006, 06:25 PM »
i have to agree.  nash has been really good, but there have been several more impressive players this year.  i think parker, james, bryant and nowitski have all done more for their teams this year.

i forget the whole list, but the back to backers read something like, bird, jordan, kareem, wilt and shaq.  prior to last year, i wouldn't have even pegged nash as a hall of famer little more worthy of that company.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2006, 11:02 PM »
i forget the whole list, but the back to backers read something like, bird, jordan, kareem, wilt and shaq.  prior to last year, i wouldn't have even pegged nash as a hall of famer little more worthy of that company.

That's pretty close.  Players who have won back-to-back MVPS:

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Tim Duncan
Steve Nash

Shaq has only once been named MVP, so no back-to-back wins for him.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2006, 04:58 AM »

Anyone else see the resemblence?

The Clippers could be the single ugliest team in sports... Kaman needs a haircut... bad. ::)
"This is the way."

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2006, 06:42 PM »
KOBE!!!  The REAL MVP does it again!!!

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 1, 2006, 12:36 PM »
Sorry, I don't think the Kahuna is so amped about the suns nowadays. Too bad they couldn't 'grow a defense' for the playoffs because now we have to watch Kobes lakers' success again ::) :(.

C'mon Kings!

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 1, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Sunday's loss was a tough thats for sure.  We shall see what happens Tuesday if the Suns can pull the game off at home we still have a series.  Yes, I am being optomistic  ;D.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 1, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I think the Suns really, really overachieved during the regular season.  I love watching them and like the team overall as well, but Diaw and Bell maybe aren't that helpful for the playoffs or aren't quite ready for it yet?  Missing Amare still hurts them considerably. 

I would think though that teams watching the recent success of the Pistons and Spurs might realize that while defense is boring and doesn't sell tickets, it helps win championships.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.