Author Topic: NBA 2005/06  (Read 54955 times)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2005/06
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2006, 01:20 AM »
Can we trade Kevin McHale for someone who knows how to run an NBA team?

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2006, 02:58 PM »

Well, at least the Davis/Sczerbiak trade makes a little more sense compared to the Artest/Peja trade.

Just a little more sense tho.....

Glad my team is the Spurs!!!  GO SPURS GO!
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2006, 04:03 PM »
What burns me about the Wolves trade is the loss of yet another first round pick.

Two conditional second round picks are basically worthless since I can't remember the Wolves having much luck with any other second round pick they have ever made.  Sure, there can be gems out there to be had in the 2nd round, but we'd need a good GM/President to actually pick those.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2006, 04:18 PM »
That's what you get for hiring a guy that never met a six pack he didn't like.  Shame really, I'd love to see the pups doing better.  As a lifelong Celtics fan, I can't be overly upset with the deal. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2006, 04:54 PM »

Well, at least the Davis/Sczerbiak trade makes a little more sense compared to the Artest/Peja trade.

As a Kings fan, I like it.  There are a very small handful of talents in the NBA that I'd take on my team before Ron Artest:

Allen Iverson
Paul Pierce
LeBron James
Jermaine O'Neal
Dwyane Wade
Gilbert Arenas
Tim Duncan
Dirk Nowitzki
Tracy McGrady
Kevin Garnett
Shawn Marion
Kobe Bryant
Elton Brand

And that's it, I think there is about a dozen better talents out there than Ron Artest.  He's the best defensive player in basketball.  He can shoot the money ball.  He blocks shots.  He shoots at a high percentage.  The only problem is that he's been taking Terrell Owens lessons.  Last year he wanted to quit the Pacers to pursue a rap career, thought twice, and 2 weeks later went ape**** at The Palace.  This year he had another nervous breakdown after a wrist injury. 

Now, why it makes sense.  Obviously, the Pacers have to trade him to change the scenery.  The Kings had to trade Stojakovic because he's a free agent at the end of the year and probably won't be resigned.  The Kings are losing Peja anyhow, so they may as well take a chance on one of the top dozen talents in the league who might be there for a long time.

The kicker is for the Pacers, is that the next day Jermaine O'Neal went down pretty much for the season.  DOH!!!  Indiana just CANNOT catch a break!  What a 2 year long disaster for a team a lot of people picked to win the East.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:05 PM by Ithorian Clergy »
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Your list of players that you'd take ahead of Artest got me thinking ..... who are the top-five players in the league?
I see it this way (in no particular order):

Dwyane Wade
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
LeBron James

What does everyone else think?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Its a tough call, but considering age, all around game, and just making their teams better, I think I'd have to agree with your list:

Kevin Garnett
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant

There's other greats that are in the twilight of their career (or near it) such as Shaq, Nash, and Iverson.  The rest of the players listed above are probably the "best of the rest" at this point in their careers, but I'd say these 5 are probably a cut above right now as complete players.  Guys like Shawn Marion and Elton Brand are often underappreciated, but some of the more consistent players in the league right now.  Maybe not to the level yet of being the "greats" like those above, but very good.  Some players like Arenas and McGrady are definite talents, but maybe not enough of "team" guys yet.  The same could be said of Kobe I guess, but even though I don't particularly care for him, he is one of the best in the league.  Probably the best pure scorer out there right now.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2006, 10:47 PM »
Your list of players that you'd take ahead of Artest got me thinking ..... who are the top-five players in the league?
I see it this way (in no particular order):

Dwyane Wade
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
LeBron James

What does everyone else think?

I think I'd be forced to take Dirk Nowitzki over either Duncan or Wade.  Other than that, agreed.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2006, 01:25 PM »
I think I'd be forced to take Dirk Nowitzki over either Duncan or Wade.  Other than that, agreed.

I think Dirk is a great player, but he isn't quite good enough on the defensive end to warrant being in my top five.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2006, 02:30 PM »

I think Dirk is a great player, but he isn't quite good enough on the defensive end to warrant being in my top five.

Well, statistically speaking anyhow, defensively Dirk Nowitzki is better than Kobe Bryant.

Kobe for his career averages 5 rebounds, 1.4 steals, and 0.6 blocks; whereas Nowitzki averages 8.5 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 block.

If you want to speak in intangibles and say, "Well Kobe is just so good guarding players," I can't really subscribe to that because it doesn't translate in the statistics.  I gotta go by the numbers.

I agree that the other 4 players are better defensively than Nowitzki.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Kobe has been on the NBA All-Defense 1st or 2nd team five times in his career.  Dirk is carrying a big goose egg in that area.  That's enough for me to determine who the better defensive player is.  Kobe is one of the best on-the-ball defenders in the game today.  And Dirk should average more rebounds and blocked shots per game ... he's nearly seven-feet-tall.  Don't get me wrong ... I love Dirk as a player, and his offensive game is a joy to watch.  I wouldn't call him a liability on the defensive end, but he isn't much of a stopper either.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 6, 2006, 11:30 PM »
i would take dirk over wade and lebron because i think he is a more unique player than they are.  he is the kind of guy that causes all kinds of defensive problems for teams and makes scoring easier for all his team mates.

rayne is right though about dirks defense.  his first 5 years in the league the mavs point of view on defense was "the best defense is a good offense".  the whole team is doing better this year, but he will probably never be on an all defense team though.

i disagree about dirk's rebounding he gets lots of double doubles, and for his role on the team i don't think he really needs to be striving for more blocks.  guys who go for alot of blocks also get into foul trouble alot.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 7, 2006, 08:09 AM »
i would take dirk over wade and lebron because i think he is a more unique player than they are.  he is the kind of guy that causes all kinds of defensive problems for teams and makes scoring easier for all his team mates.

Again ... not to take anything away from Dirk (I love the big German!), but Wade and James cause just as many defensive problems (if not more), and they both set up their teammates well.  Especially LeBron.  That guy's just a freak.  He's 6'8", over 240 lbs., and he's faster up and down the court than just about anyone in the league.  Add the fact that he's one of the top three passers out there, and I know I wouldn't want to try and stop him defensively.
Dirk is a tough cover though.  If you put a four or five man on him, he easily blows right by them.  Put a three on him, and he just shoots over them.  If he was a better passer, there would be no way to stop him.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2006, 08:11 AM by Darth Rayne »

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 7, 2006, 10:43 AM »

Again ... not to take anything away from Dirk (I love the big German!)

Hey!!  I don't think you love Dirk for the right reasons!!
« Last Edit: February 7, 2006, 10:44 AM by Ithorian Clergy »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Have I mentioned lately that Dwyane Wade is a god?  Did anyone watch the fourth quarter he dropped on the Pistons today?  Simply awesome.