Author Topic: NBA 2005/06  (Read 54933 times)

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2005/06
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2006, 01:43 AM »
Have I mentioned lately that Dwyane Wade is a god?  Did anyone watch the fourth quarter he dropped on the Pistons today?  Simply awesome.

I saw it on ABC.  He's pretty much the total package.  I don't get the feeling that the Heat are going to seriously contend for the title though, their supporting cast (everyone except Diesel and Flash) was actually much better last year.  I still think the Pistons are going to rule the East, with the Suns or Spurs ruling the West.
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2006, 07:46 AM »
Have I mentioned lately that Dwyane Wade is a god?  Did anyone watch the fourth quarter he dropped on the Pistons today?  Simply awesome.

I saw it on ABC.  He's pretty much the total package.  I don't get the feeling that the Heat are going to seriously contend for the title though, their supporting cast (everyone except Diesel and Flash) was actually much better last year.  I still think the Pistons are going to rule the East, with the Suns or Spurs ruling the West.

I agree.  I don't think the Heat have enough to beat Detroit in a 7-game series.  Though they're the team in the East that seems to give them the most trouble (Detroit can't stop Shaq or Wade), I still don't think they're good enough ... yet.  We'll see what the second half of the season brings.

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2006, 01:04 AM »
Love D. Wade's game..but Kobe still better  8)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2006, 08:17 AM »

Oh, I agree ... but Kobe also has a few years of experience on Wade.  Dwyane can only get better.  Kobe is currently in his prime.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2006, 02:19 PM »

Oh, I agree ... but Kobe also has a few years of experience on Wade.  Dwyane can only get better.  Kobe is currently in his prime.

I'm really not too impressed by Kobe because he takes 27 shots per game.  He shoots at between 43 and 44%.  That percentage is not too stellar, it's okay.  He is a ball hog.

By comparison, Rip Hamilton takes 17 shots per game and shoots at 50%.  That is phenomenal.  Rip is not a ball hog.

There are a lot of players in the NBA that shoot at Kobe's %.  If he weren't such a ball hog, maybe his team would be better than .500

By the way, Dwyane Wade shoots over 48%, attempts just 19 shots per game with a 27 PPG avg, and has more rebounds, blocks, steals and assists than Kobe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:22 PM by Ithorian Clergy »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2006, 03:39 PM »
i think the lakers would be well under .500 if kobe wasn't such a ballhog.  he is the only player on that team that would start anywhere else.  the current lakers are much like philly was for years with only iverson as any sort of scoring option.  ai's percentages have never been really good either, but he kept the team a contender without much help.

i like dwayne wade, but i probably wouldn't swoop in steal him away from the heat.  he seems to really thrive next to shaq much like penny hardaway.   i have been pretty impressed that kobe still gets such good numbers without having anyone on the team who draws any attention away from him.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2006, 04:35 PM »
i think the lakers would be well under .500 if kobe wasn't such a ballhog.  he is the only player on that team that would start anywhere else. 

Nah, Lamar Odom is a pretty spiffy player as well with 9.4 rebounds per game  :o, 5.4 assists per game  :D, 14 PPG at 45% (higher than Kobe I might add), as well as close to 1 steal, block, and trey per game.  To say he's not an asset and a starter on any other team in the NBA (except maybe the Pistons, but look out Tayshaun!) is not really accurate.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2006, 04:46 PM »
i will admit i forgot about lamar odom, but that doesn't really say much for him.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2006, 07:39 PM »
i like dwayne wade, but i probably wouldn't swoop in steal him away from the heat.  he seems to really thrive next to shaq much like penny hardaway. 

Well, any perimeter player would thrive playing alongside Shaq, but Wade was doing great things befoe Shaq got to Miami, and he was only a rookie when he was doing it.
And as for Kobe's shooting percentage ... it's really not that low for a perimeter player in today's NBA.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2006, 09:35 PM »
i only really get to see miami twice a year, and the mavs have had their number for a while, so my perception is definitely skewed.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2006, 10:41 PM »

And as for Kobe's shooting percentage ... it's really not that low for a perimeter player in today's NBA.

Right, it's not that low.  But it's also not that good.  Rip Hamilton at 50%?  Now THAT is good.  My point is Kobe only averages 34 PPG because he TAKES 27 attempts per game.  And at 43% shooting, he's really not that impressive.  Give Rip Hamilton 27 shots per game, and he'll show you impressive.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2006, 11:37 PM »

Right, it's not that low.  But it's also not that good.  Rip Hamilton at 50%?  Now THAT is good.  My point is Kobe only averages 34 PPG because he TAKES 27 attempts per game.  And at 43% shooting, he's really not that impressive.  Give Rip Hamilton 27 shots per game, and he'll show you impressive.

It's apples to oranges in this situation.  Rip Hamilton is surrounded by three All-Stars and one budding All-Star on his team.  Kobe is the primary focus of every defense he plays against.  I know people like to say that so-and-so would score just as many points if they took 27 shots a game.  Do you know how hard it is and how much skill it takes to even take that many shots in one game?  Especially when you're being double-teamed almost every time you touch the ball?  That may sound ridiculous, but it's true.  Rip Hamilton is not the type of player that could create 27 shots for himself in a game ... at least not on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:38 PM by Darth Rayne »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2006, 06:49 PM »
i couldn't agree with rayne more on this.  the only guys in the league who shoot 50+% are guys who only take good shots.  kobe is forced to throw up a prayer or circus shot alot more than rip.

i am not saying rip isn't really good, but what makes the pistons special is their chemistry. and alot of that is in their ball movement and shot selection.

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2006, 11:53 PM »
i couldn't agree with rayne more on this.  the only guys in the league who shoot 50+% are guys who only take good shots.  kobe is forced to throw up a prayer or circus shot alot more than rip.

When the Lakers put together their Dream Team the year they faced the Pistons in the finals, they had Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe, Malone and Payton (and Fisher) and Kobe shot 43% that year.  You can't make up an excuse there, even if you can get away with explaining it away for this season.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2006, 08:07 AM »
There were some huge individual games last night.  Take a look at some box scores to see what LeBron, D-Wade, AI, and Paul Pierce did in their games.  Wow.