Author Topic: NBA 2005/06  (Read 55302 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: NBA 2005/06
« Reply #270 on: June 20, 2006, 03:48 PM »
Cuban's a total jackass, but the guy has more passion than the rest of the owners in  all of professional sports combined.  I like that.  We need more owners like him.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 20, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Great first half ... for both teams.  Do you think these guys could go on a few more runs?
 ;)
Miami sustained Dallas' high-energy opening outburst, which was critical for them to have a chance in this game.  And I love to see Diggler having a good game and playing aggressively.  It looks like he and Wade are setting the table for quite the shootout.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 21, 2006, 12:01 AM »
congrats to the heat fans.  it was another nail biter.   

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #273 on: June 21, 2006, 12:04 AM »
I'm proud to say I watched a grand total of 0 minutes of the playoffs this year

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 21, 2006, 12:05 AM »
congrats to the heat fans.  it was another nail biter.   

Wow ... what a game.  I need to calm down.
 ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2006, 12:07 AM »
Just noticing that hockey is a much more noble sport than basketball.  Oilers lost last night, but tradition holds that you stay out there and line up and shake the other teams hands at the end of the series.  The NBA players kick a few balls, hang their heads and go off to the dressing room to sulk.  

Oh, and I feel for Nowitzki on that foul.  Wade smacked him pretty hard with his free arm.  He'd be right in complaining IF HE HADN'T BEEN MOVING HIS FEET.  Offensive player is always going to get the foul in their favor if the defensive player is moving, no matter who initiates the contact.  It sucks, but that rule holds from junior high on up.  

Always sucks for one team to lose.  I'm happy for Wade but sad for the Mavs as a team.  I like them and they are very good. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2006, 12:15 AM »
That was very disappointing - but congrats to the Heat... Wade is amazing and is probably going to win a bunch more before he's done.

I wonder if the chamipionship parade in Dallas Sunday is cancelled...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2006, 12:36 AM »
As nice as it would have been to see Stern have to present the trophy to Cuban, it's even nicer to see the Mavericks have to give it up on their home court.  It warms my heart to think that the same fans that were booing Michael Finley just a few weeks ago are the same ones who had to watch their team choke it away tonight.

Congrats, Miami!

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2006, 01:03 AM »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2006, 01:13 AM »
Congrats to Heat.

And to think if the Mavs closed out game 3, we might of saw Mark Cuban in his speedo.   :-X

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2006, 01:21 AM »
As much as I wanted the Mavs to win - it's cool to see Mourning get a ring.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #281 on: June 21, 2006, 09:30 AM »
It's also cool to see Shaq get another one...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 21, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Another great game last night, and I was happy to see Miami pull it out.  Aside from the poor officiating throughout the playoffs this year (and in the past several years), I think this is the most I've enjoyed a championship series since the 90s Bulls teams.  I really enjoy watching Dwyane Wade play, and its nice to see he has a humility to him as well.  Outstanding in these finals.  I never would have guessed that they would win four straight against Dallas.  Officiating or not - you have to blame yourselves somewhat when you lose four games in a row to any team.

I kind of enjoyed seeing Shaq get another title as well (for the Kobe factor), but especially liked seeing Alonzo Mourning get one.  With what that man has been through, and for being pretty close before, its got to be a nice capper to his career - whether he continues playing or not.  Pretty much everyone on that team were first time champs, aside from Shaq and Riles.

I like what Brent mentioned as well.  I don't really follow hockey that much to be honest, but I like the fact that there is more sportsmanship shown in the example he mentioned.  I lost some respect for the Mavs with a lot of the whining, kicking/throwing of basketballs, bikes, etc. after games.  Sure, I know it can be frustrating, but these guys are all adults.  It isn't just the Mavericks either, but an overall theme with the NBA in years past - lots of whining, rarely taking the blame.  I can't believe how many times players will talk/act like they didn't foul a guy, and the replay makes it painfully obvious that they murdered them.  Anyways - off topic at this point, but good points made about fouls/sportsmanship in general.  One of the reasons I really started to wanted the Heat to win (aside from Wade) was that I thought they handled things very well.  When they got whooped in the first couple games, they took the blame themselves - said they needed to play better, be more aggressive, etc.  You didn't hear a lot of talk about the refs, just about themselves as players and a team.  Congratulations to the Miami Heat.  It was a great ride, and a pretty exciting playoffs overall.  Now...predictions for next year? :P  I think Dallas has a great chance of being back.  Miami might too, depending on its aging players.  If Wade keeps playing the way he has, he might be able to carry them pretty well himself.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2006, 10:32 AM »
I'll just leave this one last conspiratorial nugget out there - I don't necessarily endorse this and I haven't independently verified the numbers, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be accurate:

"On the 4 game winning streak, Miami shot 55 more free throws than Dallas. 55....in the last two games, decided by a total of 4 points, they took 38 more free throws."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I believe that fully, there has definitely been a difference in free throws during the last couple (really last 4) games.  But, that often happens in basketball.  I attribute a lot of it to the "Hack a Shaq" piling up the team fouls, then Wade attacking the rim even more once that happened (as someone else mentioned earlier).  Also, the officiating in general just seemed poor on both sides of the ball.  Its a trend that has been continuing for a few years I think, and its really too bad.