Author Topic: Wal-Mart DVD 'Island'  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Wal-Mart DVD 'Island'
« on: October 14, 2005, 06:56 AM »
Is anyone else finding "islands" dedicated to SW for the release of the DVD? I came across one last night and it was packed with figures, the DVDs (Ep1, Ep2), Kudos and Vader Masks. One side seemed to be almost exclusivley clones and clone repaints too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 05:10 PM by *Rotav Vator* »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart DVD Pallet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:14 PM »
My local Walmarts all have these set up too, but not as pallets.  Rather they are kind of like "islands" near the toy sections with all sorts of various Star Wars items... but little space dedicated for figures.

:P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart DVD 'Island'
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 05:11 PM »
Yeah, I guess 'island' would be a better way to describe it. I'd say mine was about 35-45% figures with the rest being other assorted items.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 05:27 PM »
Mine set one up about a week ago and they have yet to put anything new out on it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 05:28 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 07:42 PM »
Ive seen these at a few Walmarts all have nothing but Darth Taters, 500th Vaders and lightsabers. All the pegs for figure are empty as usual.
I remember my dream now.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I've seen the aisle obstruction/island at about half of the WMs I've been in over the last few days.  The stores vary as to what they actually have on them, but I have noticed an alarming lack of, you know, actual ACTION FIGURES hanging there.   ::)

Role play lightsabers, I'm cool with.  The DVDs for the five films currently available makes sense.  Vehicles, sure.  But why they need to occupy shelf space with those hover discs that are in the clearance aisle most of the time, more Darth Taters, and Force Battlers is beyond me.

The one store I saw that actually had action figures on it (about eight pegs worth) was filled with Commander Bacara, #41 Clones, #48 R2-D2, and about 40 Darth Vaders.  I'm glad that Hasbro got some more Vaders out there, but IMO, it's about four or five months too late for a lot of people.   :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 09:42 PM »

Role play lightsabers, I'm cool with.  The DVDs for the five films currently available makes sense.  Vehicles, sure.  But why they need to occupy shelf space with those hover discs that are in the clearance aisle most of the time, more Darth Taters, and Force Battlers is beyond me.

Uh, bold is mine.  The answer is because they sell like crap, they're trying to raise the profile so impulse pickups (the lifeblood of lord wally) will get the damn things out of the store.  I'm starting to think you're taking your crack smoking monkey routine too literally :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 11:51 PM »
Uh, bold is mine. The answer is because they sell like crap, they're trying to raise the profile so impulse pickups (the lifeblood of lord wally) will get the damn things out of the store. I'm starting to think you're taking your crack smoking monkey routine too literally :P

Good point, but since they've tried similar things several times so far this fall and none of them have met with any success, I don't know how doing it now is going to make any difference.  It's like two goats butting their heads into one another: Hasbro refuses to stop making garbage and Wal-Mart refuses to clearance said garbage.  I think the only way that Wal-Mart is going to get some of this stuff out the door is to put it in a cannon and fire it into space.  ;D

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 09:59 AM »
That or some collector plays the game of I buy up your dead beat figures and then returns them to several different Walmarts . . . which messes up the inventory there as well!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Every Walmart in the area of NC where I'm staying has put these up, but none really have a lot of basic figure stock and have not stocked since I've been here.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01 AM »
The local WMs have these up, and only about eight figures hang from all the pegs they have. Yet they have so much of everything else it's sickening.

Where the hell are all the figures at?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 02:06 PM »
Diddo.

My local WMs have not basic figures there just movies, force battlers, vader masks and hover discs.  YIPEE!!!
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.