Author Topic: Covert Ops Clone Trooper  (Read 53933 times)

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Covert Ops Clone Trooper
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I didn't really want to shell 20 bucks (that's with shipping), but I gave in and ordered one.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 03:25 PM »
There have been so many jokes over the years, but we've finally arrived at "Neon-Camo Armor Batman Clone Trooper" after all...

This is what I was thinking when I first saw this as well, it is really starting to get that way it seems.  I'm wonder what this "new line" entails that they have mentioned, perhaps a series of "exclusive $13 Clonetroopers" that includes this one, the upcoming Target one, and maybe some others that we don't yet know about.  I highly doubt I pick this one up, and I'm not sure about the Target one either, but if they were regular, $6 figures I'd consider it more.  Neither one of these is a figure I "need", but maybe if it was a dry spell and it was something new I'd consider it.  That being said, the whole $13+ for a basic figure thing is starting to go too far.  They aren't doing anything special enough with these to warrant that kind of price hike.  Like I said, I (or any of us) can pass if we don't like it...and that's fine...but it still kind of frustrates me that they do this sort of price gouge with a repainted "exclusive" figure.  The packaging is kind of neat though, I'll say that, just for being something different.  At that price, I'm leaning towards a pass on this one.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 03:27 PM »
And Jay, I actually would buy that Psychedelic Hippie Clonetrooper just for novelty value. ;D

Maybe I'll make you one… but hippie was not the look I was going for.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 03:28 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 03:35 PM »
vs

I still like the Target version better... and not just because it's at least $6-7 ($1 plus shipping) cheaper.   ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 03:46 PM »
I'll bet the Target one will be $13, too, since the red Target clone was.  This is just ugly.  There's no justification in the price, and it's just another way of Hasbro trying to cash in on clone madness without actually giving us what we want.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 04:25 PM »
I've had enough of these exclusives - enough is enough already.

If you agree head over here:

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9238.msg157320#msg157320
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 04:30 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Jay, do you think you could do a carded version of the Easter Egg version, with a sticker in that horrible ROTS-esque font (the one that is on all the basic figures) that says something like "LIKE WOW MAN!" or "DUDE, ******' A!" or (to go with Hasbro's favorite word lately), "AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!*"

(*if you'll include, "All right Hamilton!" I'll send you a shiny nickel) :)

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to call Hasbro and ask them what the bottom of the barrel looks like with all the crap scraped off of it. :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 04:55 PM »
To the figure's defense, it looks fine.  I'm not sure why there's unhappiness on how it looks.  It's a nice night camo that miimics Gree (or whoever it is on Kashyyyk) and his green camo paintjob armor mixed with black armor bits.  The paintjob is fine to me.

The price though?  Meh...  Since it's a cardback change from other exclusives I've been trying to keep up with I'm going to skip it.  They should be focusing on getting GOOD figures out to retail in good quantities rather than pissing around with these exclusives that are supposedly taking up their "production capabilities" that Hasbro whined about a short while ago.

If you can't meet demand at retail then stop with the ******* exclusives already!  At least for Clones...  That doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but whatever.

I'm passing.  Nice card or not, it's a changed card, so I don't feel compelled to have it now for a "set", and while I'd gladly take this at the $5 - $7 (maybe even $8) range, and even buy a few extra for a small 4-man team maybe, I'm not even going to get one at the current price.  

I'm amazed this is even coming out...  Makes one wonder if the Target one got axed or something.  Would seem odd they both go out, I mean they're not too dissimilar, but whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I'd be less upset if this was happening after all of the on-screen versions had been exhausted. But here, now, when we're worrying if possibly the most requested clone variant from the film is going to be on the SA body or not, they dump this EU Batman vs. The Empire garbage out there.

It's ugly. It's overpriced. And there's really no excuse for shovelling this crap out to us. They know we want clones, and they know we want authentic ones. But instead of using exclusive means to bring us product we want, they're purely focused on satisfying retailers by giving them "unique" exclusives, and shafting us in the process. How insulting.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 05:26 PM »
We clammored, we raised hell. "We want Clones!", we said. Now we reap what we sow.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005, 05:34 PM »
The Clone fan inside of me wants one, but I cannot spend $20 on one Clone Trooper. That's ******* ridiculous. **** SWS.com and their hidiously overpriced exclusive items.

On the figure itself, I think the gray parts look cool, but the camo is rather homo.

Final decision: PASS
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Jay, do you think you could do a carded version of the Easter Egg version, with a sticker in that horrible ROTS-esque font (the one that is on all the basic figures) that says something like "LIKE WOW MAN!" or "DUDE, ******' A!" or (to go with Hasbro's favorite word lately), "AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!*"

It's on it's way
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Is he black, or is that silver?  My monitor is going on me so images are incredibly dark.  I tried lightening the show, and now it looks silver, so can someone confirm what my eyes are telling me, or is it just my PC?

Silver...  well, that's dumb then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2005, 05:47 PM »
It says he's vac-metallized, so I think it's silver. Which I'm sure is the reason for the giant price point. ::)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Oh, well screw that.

Who'd go into battle in silver?  Much less who'd go covertly into battle in silver?!   ::)

It's a "Silver" figure more or less, but why they went with the goofy "Covert" title I'll never know.  I guess that was Covert Vaders we've gotten, and Covert Fett, and Covert Stormtrooper, and Covert E2 Clone...

Oh and Covert R2-D2.