Author Topic: Curious Absence of the $10 Price Point/SA Main Characters  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Curious Absence of the $10 Price Point/SA Main Characters
« on: October 18, 2005, 11:34 PM »
So looking over the rumor list, the big thing that jumps at you is the serious lack of updated SA figs we all wanted.  Among them are Qui Gon, Obi Wan (TPM and AOTC) Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Mace, Yoda, Endor Luke/Leia/Han, Scout Trooper, Snow Trooper, and so on.

And then I was thinking, out of all the force battlers/attactix/GH/transformers/choppers madness, the one thing we haven't heard anything about for next year is the usual $10 deluxe figure.  Where is it?  Gone for good?  And then I thought... wait a sec.  Wasn't there a rumor about more VOTC figs?  Like PT ones too?  Maybe this is where all the main character love will be next year.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:34 PM by Spuffy »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Curious Absence of the $10 Price Point/SA Main Characters
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:39 PM »
If that is the case that would be good, I do recall hearing in rumor land the 2nd coming of the VOTC-esque figures....

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:24 AM »
I don't know if I like the idea of a return for VOTC.

I noticed Veers and Derlin don't have a lot of articulation, so maybe Hasbro's going to do a $10 line of SP figures. Bleh.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 12:39 AM »
I was wondering the same thing when the Hoth wave showed up with the only core characters being in re-release form. It does seem really strange.

If we had a second VOTC line, with PT figures in the mix, could we graft a $10.00 SA figure into the release pattern for the waves? For example:

BATTLE OF NABOO
Gungan Rep Bean
Pod Racer 2pk
Gragra: mos Espa Merchant
Obi-wan Kenobi
Darth Maul
Naboo soldier

VOTC
Qui Gon Jinn (would be a magic fit as an SA sculpt with a removable poncho that bridged the fragmented Tatooine/Naboo theme going on here)

BATTLE OF GEONOSIS
Clone Trooper
Sora Bulq: Weequay Jedi
Sun Fac: Geonosian Leader
C-3PO
Poggle the Lesser: Geonosian Leader
Jango Fett
Republic Commando
Yoda

VOTC
Mace Windu or a new Arena Padme would make sense

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 12:48 AM »
Yeah, the SA stuff has to go somewhere.  I haven't seen a lot of it (or much at all) in the Saga stuff we've seen so far.  I don't know if I'd want to pay $10 again either, but I wouldn't mind seeing PT style vintage cards.

And where the hell is Padme BTW?

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 01:06 AM »
TSC seems to follow OTC in spirit in every way except the emphasis on core characters spead through the line, and yeah, new SA sculpts don't seem to be happening. It's really odd.

Padme, though. That's really strange. She's got to be coming in some form. There are some good candidates for her even if they just did repaints. Droid Factory Chase Padme would be great if they tinkered with the headsculpt, the Pilot Padme is a really good likeness, and then there's always Ascesion Gun Padme -- which is such an obvious repack candidate that there's no reason why she shouldn't be on the Naboo wave list.

Maybe also some of the core characters are missing because of Evolutions. That would be a good reason to hold off on some of the missing suspects. That last Padme outfit would be a probably TPM sculpt and the Arena version would be a shoe-in for AOTC. You could probably also deliver a solid "Jedi Masters" pack by doing Qui-Gon TPM, Mace AOTC, and (even though its not really needed) Obi-Wan ROTS.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 01:37 AM »
I'd be happy if they continued Evolutions, too.  I think we've all talked about the Padme and Jedi possibilities.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 05:29 AM »
Mentioned this in another thread, but in some ways I think this line is becoming alot like the POTJ line. Main characters, some, but also alot of other characters and without major articulation, but with really good sculpts.
I would also agree, that I would LOVE to see more of the main characters move into the Evolutions line. I would love to become a mainly Evolutions collector, picking up an occassional single figure.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 08:10 AM »
The rumoured continuation of the VOTC is said to be the 85 POTF line.  But if they continue with what they have done in the past, which was 12 VOTC figs (4 SW, 4 ESB, 4 ROTJ) then it kind of makes things unbalanced.  Would they do only 4 POTF figs or 12 POTF figs? It would be nice to see some figs that could of been in the Vintage packaging.  Tarkin, Rebel Trooper, Sandtrooper, etc.  Or maybe they will do more figs on all vintage style cardbacks.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 09:12 AM »
Although I'm not necessarily crazy about the $10 pricepoint, if we're getting a half-repacked main line next year it might be easier to stomach.  Especially if, as being discussed here, the super poseable "main" characters are located in that line.  If it meant that we got new, SA versions of Endor Han/Luke/Leia, Qui-Gon, TPM/AOTC Obi, Mace Windu, Padme, Stormtrooper Luke/Han, etc...that would be good with me.  I was a little bit surprised by the lack of "big names" in the waves so far, with the ones included most often being repacks.  Continuation of VOTC or Evolutions would definitely be a nice surprise....aside from the price.  Hopefully we'll get more details soon.  We're approaching November now, and we still haven't gotten "official word" from Hasbro on 2006 stuff, which is somewhat unusual I think from past years.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 12:38 PM »
Good thinking Spuffy! I like your idea.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 03:34 PM »
there's a lot good ideas here, lot's of possibilties, which makes me think it won't happen.  hasbro seems dead set against them.  if it hadn't been for how awesome most of ROTS had been these new battle of wave might get me really excited.  these might have been nice pre ROTS but considering the pictures we've seen of what's coming up it would take something great like continuing the evo line or VOTC line to keep me in collecting this stuff.  i mean come on the ROTS prisoner Palpatine had articulated knees and he can't even sit unless you wiggle him out of his robe.  hasbro better have something good in the works because this repaint/limited articulation cr@p isn't flying with me.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline ROTJLuke

• Youngling
  • Where's the SA Final Duel Jedi Luke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 08:36 PM »
Id love to see the VOTC line brought back with all new versions of SA Core Characters.  ;D
All I want from you Hasbro is a SA Final Duel Luke. Is that soo much to ask for?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 11:46 PM »
  GH 'predicts' the return of the $10 price point -- w/ Hermi!!!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 12:57 AM »
Now that's some good stuff!

Max Rebo Band! Ewok with Woklings! AT-AT! (although the "very exclusive re-release, so save your credits" part worries me a little). EE Exclusive "very sweet EU action figure"! More cloney goodness!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 12:57 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)