Author Topic: New JD Review: Clone Commanders  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Clone Commanders
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:30 AM »
So we're back with a new one this week...

Another duel review, this time taking a close comparison and in-depth breakdown of the pro's and con's surrounding the Clone Commanders.  Check out the Full Review Right Here to get all the dirt on these guys.

For me, the winner was clear-cut really, but it boiled down 99% to an issue of poseability more than anything else.  What's funny is that I think the retail acceptance of one of these Commanders over the other is evidence of how Hasbro should focus on quality figures if they want the sales at retail.  One sculpt's clearly been the "winner" over the other out there in the stores while the other sculpt is a notorious pegwarmer for many.

So share your thoughts, check out the review of course, and enjoy!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: New JD Review: Clone Commanders
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 04:50 AM »
I wonder sometimes if Hasbro doesn't pay for the enormous selection they offer most every year by cutting corners in certain places.  Obviously Bacarra was one (but wouldn't it have been even cheaper to just use the #6 sculpt?) and so were the near statues like Capt. Antilles.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:57 AM »
Good review Jesse. I'm gonna have to disagree with you and say Bacara is the superior Commander, but thats just because I like him more.  :P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 11:04 PM »
Good review Jesse. I'm gonna have to disagree with you and say Bacara is the superior Commander, but thats just because I like him more.  :P

I'm going to have to disagree with you and say Bacarra is one of the Worst figures in the ROTS line. The action feature is very obtrusive and the left arm sucks. There is no knee articulation, there is no reason for that, they could have at least used the #6 clone legs. I skirt being glued on is retarded, why make it removable if you are going to glue it on?

Bacarra = Cool Character = ****** Figure
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:59 AM »
Yeah I'd agree that Bacara's a cool character but his figure fell flat...  Knee articulation would've probably turned my frown upside down though, even with the lacking (and limp) arm articulation, but the two combined were a major let down...  Especially given what they proved they were able to do with the #33 Commander, the #6 Trooper (who featured the same damn feature), and of course the #41 Trooper...  There was a bar set they failed to reach so that's a lot of where my conclusion came to.

Had both figures been of #33's overall quality I'd have said a  tie on their greatness and Bacara would've edged out the #33 simply because he was actually in the movie and a cool unique looking guy...  But as figures they'd be equal.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:28 PM »
bacara is definitely a big disappointment, how can hasbro make really cool figs like the regular clone commander or the obiwan pilot and figs with so little articulation,
"flat" is the right word about this fig
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 08:10 PM »
Another nice throough review Jesse, and I have to say  I think it's the first review I've ever seen the phrase "Holy Guacamole" used.

I do like how you're comparing figures against each other....hope to see more reviews like this in the future.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Great review(s), and I'm right there with you. I think the Red and Green commaders are some of the best figures in the line.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 11:30 PM »
I definitely felt that way too...  Good army builders too if you have some imagination about EU variety and stuff.  If you're a film purist though, red and green commanders likely fell quite flat much like the black pilot would.  That sucks because they're all good figures really...  just not film figures.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Good army builders too.

I've removed the monoculars and cut off the pegs on some.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 12:48 AM »
I've been thinking of doing that with some Bly's just to mix up his little group...  He needs some more grunts than I can put together with the non-existant Evolutions sets around here.  Paint differences aside I think some simple binocular removal would have made cool grunts...

I was thinking of just leaving the binocs on my reds and greens like it's just their standard gear but really I may do that with some of them too.  Greens were abundant here for a little while so I got a nice dozen or so of them...  Reds were less abundant unfortunately.