Author Topic: Battle of Geonosis Wave  (Read 74890 times)

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Geonosis Wave
« Reply #180 on: February 2, 2006, 01:48 AM »
IMO the Scorch looks good enough w/o the knee articulation to get him. Will probably grab multiples of him to customize, as well as multiples of the Utapau clone.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #181 on: February 2, 2006, 03:00 AM »
YES! SA on Utapuan trooper and Scorch!  8)

Yeah, unfortunately Scorch got the screwjob by Hasbro on knee joints.  Which is so ****** of them considering this is, without a doubt, an army builder figure by most people's standards I think.

I'm pleased with his looks, he's quite accurate, but knee articulation is a big omission for his poseability I'm afraid.  To be honest I'd sooner have seen this figure with angle-cut elbow joints and ball/socket knees than ball/socket elbow joints and no knee articulation.  That's a really big disappointment for me I'm afraid.  :(

On a happier note, Sun Fac has turned out to kick much ass.  He's seemingly the best Geonosian figure ever and I was probably in the vast minority who was hoping we'd get a new Geonosian at some point.  I HOPE his plastic holds his weight...  With that fear sort of aside and me just holding hope on him being quality, I can safely say if he is sturdy I'll buy multiples happily.  I will hang onto my current Geo's too, but they all fall eventually ti seems, while Sun Fac looks like just a dandy army builder for Clones to butcher. :)

But yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with Scorch, but so far I've been pretty bummed to see very few figures getting good articulation.  We're stuck in 1983 apparantly at Hasbro's design tables because Derlin, Veers, Scorch, Han Carbonite...  All a bit more limited in articulation than I was hoping for.  I guess 2005 was too good to be true for hoping that the line overall was turning for the better as far as articulation goes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #182 on: February 2, 2006, 04:42 AM »
They have Sora Bulq up now.  He looks pretty good, decent articulation (no knee joints, which seems to be a theme this year) but his head looks very oversized to me.

I'm torn on Sun Fac.  He turned out great, I like the bugs, but he's so completely not on any list of characters I care about. 

I may actually skip Scorch.  I've been very very selective this year so far, and the Coruscant will be a big wave for me, so I may be more choosy than normal.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #183 on: February 2, 2006, 05:45 AM »
Yeah, Sora I knew didn't have knee joints by his early photo so I'll add him to my list of the disappointing.  It's tough to look at him, and then look at every secondary Jedi we got in 2005, and not think that this is somehow a let down on some level.

Great sculpt though and I like having some Weequay diversity in their looks.  It's good for customizing.  And it's not that Sora's horrible either as a figure.  Great sculpt overall, good upper body articulation too (looks like SA everywhere but the legs...  This is a ****** trend, if it is indeed a trend for this year).

I'd be lying if I said this figure ultimately made me happy though.  It's ok...  It sucks compared to Agen Kolar, or Kit Fisto, or Shaak Ti, or Luminara Unduli, or other members of his peer group.  He'll just not be quite as good or fun to mess around with as the other Jedi figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 2, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Wouldn't Sora be an easy custom? Just give him some new articulated legs?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 2, 2006, 10:41 AM »
I am sooo looking forward to this wave!

Can't wait to load up on the clone grunt, Commader Cody and Scorch!

Best wave so far IMO!

Offline Annatar

• Youngling
  • Lord Sauron the Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 2, 2006, 04:18 PM »
The RC's head looks oddly large. I may pass on it. Sun Fac is looking sweet though.
Rebelscum: The Wal-Mart of Star Wars forums.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 2, 2006, 05:01 PM »
The Utapau grunt looks fantastic.  I'm completely happy except that once again he obviously doesn't come with the rifle and it's getting sorta comical that Hasbro won't give us the rifle...  It's the most seen weapon the Clones have but yet most of us have them in limited supply, haha.  :)

Actually, in ROTS all most all of the clones used the shorter rifle, not the bigger one.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #188 on: February 3, 2006, 03:52 AM »

I wouldn't say anything is easy...  If you gotta fix it, it's not good IMO.  :)  To give him articulated knees, without painting, you'd have to find knees that match his pants already on another figure...  Pop 'em off that one, cut the legs off Sora and dremel into his leg a hole for the pin on the other knees...

Short of paint matching and sculpt matching up, that's about as easy as it could be, but that's still a lot more work than I wanna do plus it's at the cost of another figure, so even as a customizer I look really negatively on this.  Sora should've just had articulated knees...  Hell, make his arms angle-cut elbows and give him the knees, but just give him the knees. :)

EDIT:

By the way Hunter I decided to check out hte Clones in ROTS, as I'd wanted to kind of anally slow-mo the DVD anyway and just look at all the little details I haven't seen...  I don't agree that the Carbine has overtaken the blaster rifle as the most common Clone blaster though...  It's more prominent though in ROTS than it was in AOTC.  It was barely noticeable in AOTC actually.

In ROTS though I looked at a couple key Clonie moments to decide...  Only on Felucia did the Carbine seem to outnumber the Rifle...  Ironically it's the Commander on Fellucia with the rifle while all his squadmates that kill Aylya have the Carbine.

Anyway, I checked out a couple other sequences for a couple areas and I came to these conclusions...

-Utapau...  The opening Clones (down the zip lines) all have Carbines, however after that it's not a landslide of rifles but there are definitley more riflemen.  Lots of Carbines in there too though, but the Rifles become more prominent.  For instance most Cody scenes have landings of squads on Gunships and almost every Clone in the gunships is coming out with a rifle.  Cody's also surrounded by guys with rifles and only a carbine here and there.

When the trooper is gunning the Crabdroids, he's using a Carbine but Slow-Mo showed most around him had rifles.  There are a ton of Carbines too, just that I see more Rifles by my eye.

Utapau has the most footage to watch...  There's lots of both types of weapon seen for sure here.  I thought it was the most interesting to sort of analyze.  Actually too I was really taken by how incredibly detailed the streets of the subterannean cities of Utapau were.  There's tons of detail there, like even roadsigns it seems.  Really cool to sit and just ogle all the detail.

-Fellucia...  Tough to see a lot since it only zooms in close to Bly and his troops but Bly's the only guy with a rifle, everyone else had Carbines that I saw.

-Mygeeto...  I think ONE guy near Bacarra has a Carbine, and Bacarra has one, but it seems to me that every other grunt around Bacarra when he cuts down Mundi has a rifle that I can see.  There's some odd background shots that it's tough to judge but I see a mix...  I can see Rifles for sure, but I also see a seemingly equal number running with Carbines.

-Kashyyyk...  Kashyyyk was the weirdest...  The first site of Clones is really the beach preparations.  In the shots there you don't see many Rifles at all, mostly just Carbines.  I think I saw a rifle here and there but not much.

Cut to the battle though, and the beach has still mostly Carbines but Rifles are much more noticeable...  Not a lot, but more for certain.  Also, ALL the Clones up in the tree branches and higher positions are sporting rifles, not a Carbine among them, which makes perfect sense militarily since the rifle would be the more accurate weapon by all accounts.

So anyway, I was sorta curious about this anyway so I decided to look into it...  I don't think the Carbine's overtaken the Rifle by a long shot then based on what I saw but I also think the Carbine's a lot more prominent for sure.  I'm all for it being included with figures, but at this point I think the mass shortage of rifles between the AOTC styled clones not coming with them and the #41 SA not coming wth them is a big hole...  I wish Hasbro would fill it by packing in the rifles with Clones so you could decide what gun they get.  I'm definitely on a shortage of rifles at this point.  Extra commanders I bought have helped fill holes but not a lot, especially with the EE Clone 4-packs needing rifles too.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 3, 2006, 04:30 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 3, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Ahh, you gotta love the uninformed scalpers. I usualy stop at two targets on the way home from dropping my Daughter off at school. Yesterday, there was a scalper at each telling me that this wave has hit. When asked where they've seen it, one said Frank and Sons, the other said ebay. Knowing these sighting mean these are weeks away I said, okay. Thanks. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 3, 2006, 03:04 PM »
hey Jesse I went in slow mo for most of the battle scenes too and it is awesome to see all the little details that you miss when it's in regular speed.  But did you notice on Utapau the clone that jumps up on the crab changes.  you see a behind shot of him right before he runs up on it and he has these extra little do dads on his back that he doesn't have after he shoots the crab droid and turns.  on to my thoughts about this wave.  Articulation is seriously lacking in these newer waves.  I thought at first that some of these were just left overs from the last bits of the OTC waves, but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  it pisses me off that the other day I bought at Target the latest wave of Marvel Legends for $6.89 and they have what 30 some points of articulation and a pretty killer paint job, while these newer wave of star wars might be lucking to get 8 pionts of articulation and they're more expensive. >:(  sorry about the ranting.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 4, 2006, 04:25 PM »

I wouldn't say anything is easy...  If you gotta fix it, it's not good IMO.  :)  To give him articulated knees, without painting, you'd have to find knees that match his pants already on another figure...  Pop 'em off that one, cut the legs off Sora and dremel into his leg a hole for the pin on the other knees...

Short of paint matching and sculpt matching up, that's about as easy as it could be, but that's still a lot more work than I wanna do plus it's at the cost of another figure, so even as a customizer I look really negatively on this.  Sora should've just had articulated knees...  Hell, make his arms angle-cut elbows and give him the knees, but just give him the knees. :)

EDIT:

By the way Hunter I decided to check out hte Clones in ROTS, as I'd wanted to kind of anally slow-mo the DVD anyway and just look at all the little details I haven't seen...  I don't agree that the Carbine has overtaken the blaster rifle as the most common Clone blaster though...  It's more prominent though in ROTS than it was in AOTC.  It was barely noticeable in AOTC actually.

In ROTS though I looked at a couple key Clonie moments to decide...  Only on Felucia did the Carbine seem to outnumber the Rifle...  Ironically it's the Commander on Fellucia with the rifle while all his squadmates that kill Aylya have the Carbine.

Anyway, I checked out a couple other sequences for a couple areas and I came to these conclusions...

-Utapau...  The opening Clones (down the zip lines) all have Carbines, however after that it's not a landslide of rifles but there are definitley more riflemen.  Lots of Carbines in there too though, but the Rifles become more prominent.  For instance most Cody scenes have landings of squads on Gunships and almost every Clone in the gunships is coming out with a rifle.  Cody's also surrounded by guys with rifles and only a carbine here and there.

When the trooper is gunning the Crabdroids, he's using a Carbine but Slow-Mo showed most around him had rifles.  There are a ton of Carbines too, just that I see more Rifles by my eye.

Utapau has the most footage to watch...  There's lots of both types of weapon seen for sure here.  I thought it was the most interesting to sort of analyze.  Actually too I was really taken by how incredibly detailed the streets of the subterannean cities of Utapau were.  There's tons of detail there, like even roadsigns it seems.  Really cool to sit and just ogle all the detail.

-Fellucia...  Tough to see a lot since it only zooms in close to Bly and his troops but Bly's the only guy with a rifle, everyone else had Carbines that I saw.

-Mygeeto...  I think ONE guy near Bacarra has a Carbine, and Bacarra has one, but it seems to me that every other grunt around Bacarra when he cuts down Mundi has a rifle that I can see.  There's some odd background shots that it's tough to judge but I see a mix...  I can see Rifles for sure, but I also see a seemingly equal number running with Carbines.

-Kashyyyk...  Kashyyyk was the weirdest...  The first site of Clones is really the beach preparations.  In the shots there you don't see many Rifles at all, mostly just Carbines.  I think I saw a rifle here and there but not much.

Cut to the battle though, and the beach has still mostly Carbines but Rifles are much more noticeable...  Not a lot, but more for certain.  Also, ALL the Clones up in the tree branches and higher positions are sporting rifles, not a Carbine among them, which makes perfect sense militarily since the rifle would be the more accurate weapon by all accounts.

So anyway, I was sorta curious about this anyway so I decided to look into it...  I don't think the Carbine's overtaken the Rifle by a long shot then based on what I saw but I also think the Carbine's a lot more prominent for sure.  I'm all for it being included with figures, but at this point I think the mass shortage of rifles between the AOTC styled clones not coming with them and the #41 SA not coming wth them is a big hole...  I wish Hasbro would fill it by packing in the rifles with Clones so you could decide what gun they get.  I'm definitely on a shortage of rifles at this point.  Extra commanders I bought have helped fill holes but not a lot, especially with the EE Clone 4-packs needing rifles too.   :-\

You forgot the 501st and Palpy's Shockys. I noticed most 501st Stormies in the opening "March" sequence right behind Vader had Carbines, but about 3 had Rifles. All the Stormies on the landing pad talking to Bail had carbines also. On Mustafar the two Shockys both had Carbines, and on the senate pod 2/3 of the Shockys had carbines, one had a rifle.

Offline bluesnaggletooth1

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 4, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Ahh, you gotta love the uninformed scalpers. I usualy stop at two targets on the way home from dropping my Daughter off at school. Yesterday, there was a scalper at each telling me that this wave has hit. When asked where they've seen it, one said Frank and Sons, the other said ebay. Knowing these sighting mean these are weeks away I said, okay. Thanks. ;)

Gotta love LA Scalpers...the dumbest of the dumb.

Snags

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: February 7, 2006, 02:12 AM »
Hunter,

I didn't watch the shockies but off memory I know the two on Mustafar had carbines while I can't recall the Senate Pod well enough to remember.  :( 

The 501st march on the temple I did watch though, just didn't comment on because it was short.  I didn't watch them tearing up the temple or the guards left outside to comment.  On the march, I noticed fewer carbines though, but the scene is quick too and not real broad looking at them head-on.  The overhead shots I think I see more rifles than carbines but it's tough to judge it accurately too.  I know the scene with the row behind anakin shows at least one with a carbine in sort ofthe middle when the shot pans overhead, and rifles on either side if I recall correctly.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 7, 2006, 07:24 PM »
It's nice to see the carded figures! Still a bit disappointed with it though. I was excited about Sora Bulq, but with his knees w/o articulation, it's reminiscent of the E2 figures. The only one I really want is the Utapau clone (no surprise). I don't know why the Geonosian pair are bright green?? The other figures are so-so, or I've already got them.