Author Topic: So, Are You Happy with the Prequel Trilogy?  (Read 10970 times)

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: So, Are You Happy with the Prequel Trilogy?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 01:30 AM »
I think you can narrow down to the exact reason why the PT was less that the OT. Gary Kurtz. Seriously. If you study how the films were made, you'll clearly see what Gary did to make ANH ans ESB the genius films they were. I'm not discounting GL's talent. SW would not be without him. However, Kurtz was the one who challanged George, made him better. There are many example where George wanted to do things one way and Gary said, that way doesn't work for this reason, you really need to do it another. There was almost none of that in the PT, and you can see that on the screen.

I TOTATLLY agree.  Mr. Lucas has nothing but yes men now.  No one challenges him to push further.  No one saw the dialogue and told Lucas that it was, at many times, just horrible.  You here stories from the OT about Harrison Ford approaching Lucas and suggesting line changes.  I've never heard of that on the PT.

I can't believe no one on the set didn't notice either. The collaboration of minds to create a better result is important, you rarely catch your own spelling mistakes.

I wish I could be a movie proof reader, oh that would be a great job!
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Overall I am happy that the prequels were made but like most of you I feel that there were several missed opportunities. There were alot of great concepts (Maul, Clones, etc.) but they were never really utilized as well as they could have been.

I agree that it should have been Maul or Dooku but not both (I would have picked Maul). By the time Maul showed that he was the terror we had been expecting, he was dead. Besides Maul just came off as this amazing fighter and you had no touble believeing he could take on two jedi at once, whereas old man Dooku was just a bit of a stretch, sith lightening or no.

I think Lucas weakened Boba Fett's character by having him appear as a child. It makes him less ruthless and more pitiful <which is the same thing he did to Vader throughout the PT>. I think that AOTC and TPM could have been combined into one movie with the leftovers being in the opening crawl of what should have been The Clone Wars.

Another thing that I think is unfortunate is that we never really got to see the Padawans/ Knights training. Yoda alludes to how hardcore it is in Empire but all we get is kiddie stuff. It would have been nice to see Anakin training, and that would have been a great opportunity to develop his cockiness and everyone else's wariness of him.

Anakin should have been played by the same actor all the way through the movie. They should have just dropped the plot point about Jedi having to train since they are children for the sake of continuity and charcter development. Just because Yoda said Luke was too old didn't mean that you needed to be 3 years old when you started. I think 16 would have been reasonable and they could have made Hayden pass for 16 (he didn't need to be super young, just younger than Luke.)

Last but not least George should have allowed a better director to work with these actors. While you can usually find at least some fault with the actors I blame Lucas and here is why. If you have seen Hayden Christensen, Sam Jackson, and Natalie Portman in ANY other movie you know they are excellent actors. But in the prequels they just seemed to not give all that they were capable of. When that many good actors aren't performing up to snuff that says bad directing to me, talent without guidance.  Lucas' singlemindedness may be what got the original movies made but it really functioned as a double edged sword this time around.

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 3, 2006, 12:39 AM »
i loved them all ! they were all awsome ! my faviorte was ROTS because of all the clones you get to see ;D
Momar and Fester

Offline Nick

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 02:56 AM »
As individule movies I think they are weak.

As a trilogy they don't far much better.

However, I think they make the original trilogy better.  They give it more depth, more emotion and the whole story is enhanced.

Gl gets a pat on the back from me but no gold star.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 11:42 AM »
I think TPM is just okay, but Maul is the main reason (probably the ONLY reason) that I like it.

AOTC is getting on my last nerve. Horrible acting, unrealistic fights, boring dialogue sequences, and plus, I watched it about 100 times between when it came out on video to now. I'm sick of it. I never want to watch AOTC again unless it's some sort of all-6-movies star wars marathon.

ROTS is by far my favorite out of the prequels. But it does rely a little too much on special effects than plot or dialogue. Well, the plot was great and all, but it could have been spiced up a little. The main reason it's my favorite of the PT movies is how it's so dark. I mean, sure, in ESB the Empire wins that time, but then in the next movie, the Empire is destroyed and none of the stuff in ESB really mattered. That's not how it is in ROTS. The evil and dark things reign over the galaxy for 19 years, and then finally after all that time, the Rebellion comes through and destroys the Death Star.

:)
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 12:23 PM »
I thought TPM was great. It had the "feel" of ANH, and was just a fun movie all-around. Maul was awesome, and the 3-way lightsaber duel was cool.

AOTC was okay. The Jango/Obi-Wan fight was awesome, as was the last 45-60 minutes of it. It's just that the first parts of it, save for the Speeder chase and the Jango/Obi-Wan fight, were so utterly boring.

ROTS was fantastic. It had everything. Lots of lightsaber duels, we got to see the Galactic Empire in it's early days, space battles, ground battles, the Jedi Purge, etc. It had lots of things that tied in to the OT, like Tarkin and the Imperial Officers, a new alphabet ship (V-Wing), Palpatine's deformed face, Vader in the suit, etc. But most of all, it felt like Star Wars.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 11:36 PM »
TPM definitely could have been better, far better in fact.  AOTC had it's moments of SW greatness but still didn't quite reach it.  ROTS was the pinnacle of the PT though.  Awesome movie.  I just wish they would have delved more into Anakin's character since the whole SW saga is essentially about him. 

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 12:24 AM »
I liked the PT,I think ROTS is better than ANH or ROTJ,not ESB thoe.

TPM is # 5 on my favorites list,Mual seemed to be like Vader so cool & like the main villian,but he apeared for 5 seconds.Jar Jar was OK,but he could of been an actually funny charcater.Anakin's lines were annoying "Wizards!".

AOTC was my least favorite of all 6.The beginning of the movie until Anakin & Padme get on Geonosis was Boring excluding the Obi vs. Fett fights (Kamino & space).Boba couldof had more of a better response if he was a teen & wasn't like TPM Anakin.Anakin's& Padme's love scenes were AWFUL!

ROTS is my second favorite film,next to # 1 ESB.I liked the clones & Grievous.Anakin had much better lines in this movie than in the last movie.The duels were great (The Dookufight was boring thoe).The only disapointing thing was the Kashyyyk battle was too short the commercials built that battle so much & it was 20 deconds long. :-\
Grievous' "Time to abandon ship was so cheesy it was actually funny.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Vader0519

• Youngling
  • *force choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 03:44 PM »
After following Star Wars fandom on the net since late 1998, I am convinced I am the only one on the planet who loves all six films equally.

All of them have their flaws. But I will never view the Star Wars movies critically. They are my escape from the real world, they are my hobby and they keep the kid in me alive. Those are things I could never be critical of.

Offline IrishLuck

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 1, 2006, 08:25 PM »
My biggest complaint with the Prequel Trilogy is George Lucas.  He is the one who allowed all the bad acting to continue.  He is the one who let CGI tell the story.  I mean, come on.  Not 1 actor in a Clone Trooper uniform?!?!?!?!?  Do they all have to be CGI? 
Impressive.  Most Impressive.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 1, 2006, 10:18 PM »
My biggest complaint with the Prequel Trilogy is George Lucas.

So you'd rather that George had nothing to do with the prequels? That's interesting, especially since he's the only one who had the rights to make them. ::)
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #26 on: August 2, 2006, 12:54 PM »
So you'd rather that George had nothing to do with the prequels? That's interesting, especially since he's the only one who had the rights to make them. ::)

You probably didn't know this, but George Lucas didn't direct Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 2, 2006, 02:48 PM »

You probably didn't know this, but George Lucas didn't direct Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

But if it wasn't for George's existence, none of the movies would have been made. And the people who directed ESB and ROTJ probably had to get GL's approval to direct the movies rather than just direct the movies on their own.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #28 on: August 4, 2006, 11:15 AM »
And the people who directed ESB and ROTJ probably had to get GL's approval to direct the movies rather than just direct the movies on their own.

Ya think?

Well, you'd be totally wrong.

The way the story goes, Irvin Kershner, with not a lot going on during the long summer of 1978 and totally behind on his child support, needed some cash, fast.  After a bit of brainstorming, he came up with the brilliant idea to direct a sequel to the previous summer's blockbuster, Star Wars.  Thankfully, Lucas was totally cool with it, and thus, The Empire Strikes Back was born.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 5, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Yep, that's how they made them. :P

Lucas picked Kershner & Marquand, they agreed. Speilberg was going to do Jedi but he wanted too much. ::)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m