Author Topic: Pugilism.  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Pugilism.
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Mayweather/McGregor August 26! GET HYPE

My Top 5 boxers of all-time:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Mike Tyson, pre-Buster Douglas
3. Drederick Tatum
4. That Simon & Garfunkel song
5. Mike Tyson, post-face tattoo, when he was in The Hangover
6. King Hippo
7. Clubber Lang
8. Butch Coolidge
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Pugilism.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:46 PM »
What about "Boom Boom Mancini" by Warren Zevon?

Boxing got my $100 for that Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, and that fight sucked. They won't get it for this one.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:28 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Pugilism.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:03 PM »
What about "Boob Boom Mancini" by Warren Zevon?

He will be fighting Bobby Chacon, after all!

The press tour for this fight will probably be the most entertaining thing about it.  I think Conor McGregor is hilarious!  And when he said to Floyd "You're a grown man carrying a book bag.  Why?  You can't even read!", I nearly wet my pants laughing!

Floyd is incredibly hateable.  He would have made for a great heel in wrestling.  His fight with De la Hoya were probably the most challenging of his career.  And I genuinely think he dodged Manny Pacquiao for a long time until Manny just wasn't in good shape to take him on, and that probably contributed to Floyd winning that fight.  But he's also one of the greatest defensive boxers of all time.  And Conor is going to be fighting Floyds fight.

There is only one way that I see this going Conor McGregor's way:  if he's prepared to step in close and take some punishment.  And I also think he might want to go really old school from a boxing standpoint, and take a cue from Rocky Marciano.  That's to hit hard, and hit Floyd everywhere: the body, the arms, everywhere.  But I don't think Conor has the speed and skills to land those kinds of power shots.

So I won't be paying for this fight.  Especially since it's probably going to be a non-event, just like plenty of Floyds other fights.  It's likely going to pop up on social media, and the whole fight will probably be on Showtime a week or two after the fight.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:05 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback