Author Topic: ROTS variation/error thread  (Read 73202 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS variation/error thread
« Reply #15 on: April 5, 2005, 10:04 AM »
On the front page of RS, theres an article on the printing error on the cardback run.

Purple Or Blue?

There is also the mention of #35 Palpatine's saber.

Blue Or Red? Error Or Not?

Just to confirm what has been noted above.  :)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 5, 2005, 10:28 AM »
I found a Palpatine #35 this morning and he's holding Anakin's lightsaber. I thought this was odd, but since I hadn't found the figure yet, I decided to get it.

I hope this ends up being the "rarer" of the two versions, I would much rather have this figure with a red lightsaber when I finally get one to open....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 5, 2005, 07:13 PM »
Not sure if anyone updated on the Blue and Purple cards.  Some people thought collection 1 was one color and collection 2 was another.  I have mulitple clones and some are Blue and others are Purple,.

Offline darkksith

• Youngling
  • Completest Crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 5, 2005, 07:23 PM »
just wondering if anyone has tried to attach the extra hand / red saber accesory that comes with the deluxe palpatine onto the palpatine #35 figure. if it fits that might benifit people that bought the blue saber version of palpatine #35 to make it movie accurate. thoughts?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: April 5, 2005, 09:22 PM »
I obviously overlooked the collection #'s. The pictures are different on the Anakin and Yoda figures, but the Royal Guards are packaged on the same card. Why don't you take over here Matt... I mean, when did you become a variation/error enthusiast and collector? Always have to one-up me don't ya? But that's why I like you so much, you keep me on my game...

My pleasure Thomas!  :P  I've been doing the "unintentional" variant thing for quite a long time now, and the production errors whenever I come across them as well.  I just don't want people getting confused here by anyone mixing up the terminology.

Most of the stuff Thomas just mentioned are Production Errors (card color differences, incorrect/missing paint apps, etc).

The legitimate variations at this point would probably only be the Vader/Anakin deluxe figure with the complete altering of the position of the accessories included, as well as the Obi-Wan/SBD deluxe figure, where the SBD's leg comes either attached to the SBD, or separate from the rest of the SBD.  That's all I've heard of being verified so far.  Not sure what the "arms out" variation on the SBD set is though, as mentioned above.  Another noteable variation from the Saga line would be the McQuarrie Stormtrooper with the lightsaber positioned upwards, or downwards.  I unfortunately never came across the former, and now it's usually up near the $100 range when it occasionally makes an appearance on eBay.  EDIT:  Whoops, missed the red/blue saber issue on Palpy, so that would apply to this category as well.  Damn.  Now I'm gonna have to see which I have, and go chase down a blue one if needbe...

Then there's the intentional variants, which I hardly even consider variantions, like the Red vs. Blue Royal guard we're currently seeing in the ROTS line.  Or better yet, like the different hair colors on the RFTs and IOs in the Saga line, or the bearded/non-bearded Endor Soldiers, etc.  To me, these are just totally different figures.

Anyway, I managed to snag the SBD variation on the way home last night, so I'm temporarily caught up with those now.

BTW Thomas, anyone can take their carded Saga Jango Fett and give it a good smack or shake it around a little bit, and create a "headless" error, where his head's rolling around in the bottom of the bubble.  In fact, a lot of us did just that on purpose in the stores when that figure was first released, just to highlight that major spoiler to the casual AOTC buyers...  ;)
« Last Edit: June 6, 2005, 02:53 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: April 5, 2005, 11:47 PM »

smug well mister super genius...

YOU are telling ME what 'production errors' and 'intentional variants' are? Hopefully you are doing it to benefit those not so well-versed.

Sooooo, What you are saying Matt, is that a production error is something like:

The clone trooper and jango fett unpainted visor figures. While many were found, it was still an error and not an 'intentional variant' like the:

Bespin Luke - i. e. - bloody, metal pegs, rubber pegs on the detached hand accessory.

A variant can also be when a major change is made to the card to correct a production error:

Luminara listed with a removable cape and she doesn't have one, so the sticker the crap out of the words 'removable cloak' until the correction card is produced.

Or the first 16 figures from AOTC with the background cards.

There definitely aren't enough things to report yet and it will be interesting what develops. I spent a long time and traded some good stuuf to get my hands on a Dexter Jettster with 'pipe' listed as an accessory. You never know what changes may occur until the opportunity passes you by.

But JMAC, you better recognize!!!

I do not profess to being an English master, but I think the 's and s' on a name ending in 's' is correct both ways. I know a lot of people that will say James' (which would be James used as a possessive) and people that say James's (which would be pronounced Jameses and also used as a possessive). I prefer the way you go ruiner, but I have had this arguement with people before and I have come to the conclusion that both are acceptable. We may want to check Strunk and White just to completely solve the issue...
« Last Edit: April 5, 2005, 11:48 PM by Thomas Grey »
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: April 5, 2005, 11:53 PM »
And I quote:

"1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's.

Follow this rule what ever the final consonant. Thus write,

Charles's friend
Burns's poem
the witch's malice"

"The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White

Sorry to rain on the parade ruiner. Just think it's important to be thorough and correct when we deal with incorrectness...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 6, 2005, 12:29 PM »
Picked up Emperor Palpatine today and he has no Saber packed in.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: April 6, 2005, 02:52 PM »
Damn!

Nice Dale!

When will it be my turn to happen upon something as cool as that?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: April 6, 2005, 02:53 PM »
smug well mister super genius...

YOU are telling ME what 'production errors' and 'intentional variants' are? Hopefully you are doing it to benefit those not so well-versed.

Sooooo, What you are saying Matt, is that a production error is something like:
But JMAC, you better recognize!!!

You know I love you Tom!  :-*

Yeah, just so the class didn't get confused there.  And I'd say the additional examples you listed there were spot on.  Well done.  ;)

Now I'm gonna go rattle some more Jango noggin's off in their Saga cards...  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 6, 2005, 10:30 PM »
Picked up Emperor Palpatine today and he has no Saber packed in.

Trilogo, who cares? :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 6, 2005, 11:51 PM »
I opened up count dooku tonight and wonder how many variations on the pegs they'll make. Mine has a peg left forearm to go the wrist, a peg right wrist to go into the right forearm and a peg neck to go into the body.
other that that, I'm actually very impressed with  him, so much more than ep2 dooku. He has ball socket shoulders, elbows and knees,   cut forearms and waist and boot tops. the cloth cape is a nice touch and his base is from the opening ship battle  I suppose and is rather nice. Glad I picked him up because dooku wasn't originally on my first day list.   :)
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: April 6, 2005, 11:57 PM »
just wondering if anyone has tried to attach the extra hand / red saber accesory that comes with the deluxe palpatine onto the palpatine #35 figure. if it fits that might benifit people that bought the blue saber version of palpatine #35 to make it movie accurate. thoughts?
I just tried this since the saber hand was on my shelf and the peg holes are different sizes :-\

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 7, 2005, 08:27 AM »
I suppose the Palpatine #35 with red lightsaber will be hard to get right?  This kind of sucks IMO.   Why don't they just give him both lightsabers red and blue? 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 7, 2005, 10:48 AM »
He, he - mine has a red saber and I opened it.

Oh well, price you pay for being an opener I guess!   ;D