Author Topic: Preview Wookiee vs. Heavy Gunner Wookiee  (Read 13576 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Preview Wookiee vs. Heavy Gunner Wookiee
« on: October 24, 2005, 02:06 PM »
Wow, I was fortunate enough to find a Heavy Wookiee Gunner today... what a figure.

I remember when I first got the Preview Wookiee, I was blown out of the water with how cool it was; how big, articualted and well sculpted.

Well, I think Hasbro may have done an even better job on the Gunner Wookiee.  The basic body is exactly the same, but the paint job on this one is excellent... and the shirt thing is very well done.  It's kind of like a leather material, and fits him well.

To me, the first one had better accessories, but this one just looks better as a stand-alone figure.  It could be "at home" in a number of dioramas too.  He could be a regular Wookiee farmer, a traveler, a bar patron, or a warrior. 

I'll try and take a comparison pic of the two tonight.  If you liked the Preview Wookiee, then this should be an excellent addition to your collection.

:P

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Preview Wookiee vs. Heavy Gunner Wookiee
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 02:19 PM »
I bought 2 of 'em to add to my Wook army, which has 2 of the SPs. I'm partial to the first one, but this guy's sweet too. Here's what I said about them in the army thread:

I was just monkeying around (no pun intended ;D) with my Wookiee army. I've had one of my SPs all decked out in the stuff he comes with and brandishing the banana gun. For variety, I've had the second without the helmet or shin guards and wielding a bloody Gungan spear from one of the EI accessory sets.

Since I got two of the new heavy gunners, I've been trying to decide what to do with them. I immediately took the pleather thing off one; I'll keep it on the other. The naked one is currently holding one of the Wook shield thingies that came with the #43. Anyway, I just stuck the extra helmet I have on the gunner with leather and it looks fantastic! It really goes with his color scheme; matches his gold braid ties. I'd like to get an extra SP armor piece to clothe my nekkid gunner, though. I just tried it on him, and it looks sweet.

I'm lovin' my Wookiee army. 8)

I also have a tan #43, black and 2 browns, one of which is manning (Wooking?) the guns on my flyer.

RAWRRR!

8)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 09:17 PM »
I did pick up the black wookie commando yesterday.  I love the wookies this year!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:09 AM »
Ok, here is a comparison pic between the two (sorry, no accessories).  You be the judge!

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 01:15 AM »
nice picture , i just like how the Wookie Heavy Gunner looks in the package, and his grey hair  8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 01:26 AM »
I'd consider the equal, however the "Heavy Gunner" (I still think Hasbro made a flub in production and either got their names wrong or the accessories are mismatched) is a great variant for army building at the very least.

I got the Commando, and while I like its coloring and the tri-pod gun, I'm still a HUUUUUUUGE detractor of that figure's overall execution.  Ditch the action feature though and add knee joints (hell just use the Preview's lower legs!) and you've got a pretty damn nice figure.  Even with just knee joints it'd be a much better figure, but the shoulders are a little broad.

Anyway the Preview sculpt's fantastic and I think it's a figure Hasbro should re-release with new headsculpts...  I still wouldn't turn my nose up at a new "medium" sized Wookiee to replace the #43, but the preview sculpt is good to re-release in some colors/paintjobs and maybe later do new heads for it.  It'd be great really.

I just wish they'd get that in-between size with a nicely articulated and proportioned sculpt.  The #43 would just be more appreciated actually for diversity then I think. 

BTW I like the loin cloth and tunic.  Funky stuff there, and a nice attempt at Hasbro to "change" these figures up some.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:51 AM »
I really want a good Merumeru.

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:34 AM »
the more wookiees i get,  the merrier i am

i like the diversity this wookiee offers but i'm a big fan of the SP wookiee !
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 05:28 AM by blaster_e11 »
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 01:44 PM »
I love the Gunner Wookie. I was already a huge fan of the Preview Wookie, but a blonde wookie, I love it man! I like the leather kimono, it's cool. It makes him look like a kung-fu master. I will definitely pick up a couple of these to add to my Wookie squad.

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 05:12 AM »
I was kind of on the fence with this one but I may just go ahead and pick one up.
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 08:48 AM »
I love wookies...

...maybe cause I'm big and hairy :P
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 11:04 PM »
I love wookies...

...maybe cause I'm big and hairy :P

a/s/l ?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 11:41 PM »
I LOVE wookies.  Have yet to see any of this last five figs, though.  Target is putting out like five cases of C1 a week, and no C2 at all.

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 12:05 AM »
OK, I went ahead and bought one. Heck, I loved "Planet of the Apes" figures as a kid so buying this bit of plastic wasn't that much of a stretch. ;)
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 10:41 AM »
Just for the fun of it, you can put the Gunner's vest thing on the Preview Wookiee, add a bandolier and you have a pretty cool looking 3rd Wookiee.