Author Topic: Random Question : Collection 2 Bases  (Read 3290 times)

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Random Question : Collection 2 Bases
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:31 AM »
has anyone actually connect these bases? is it even possible to create a huge display?  :)

im trying to connect these for the Zett scene and the Jedi Temple Massacre but dont know where to begin...  :-*
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 01:34 AM by SpudTrooper »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Random Question : Collection 2 Bases
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 01:35 AM »
Not really...

The AT-TE's Gunner's "Planet Base" that looks like grass and roots is easy to spread out and make a bigger display, but for whatever asinine reason, Hasbro made the base that looks like a ship's deck plating so that it can't connect end-to-end.  You can connect 2 or maybe 3 but that's it, and they don't connect in a real pattern.  Very stupid way to have sculpted these bases though if you ask me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 01:40 AM »
yea i sometimes wonder why is it even there (the Grey base), the grass/lava base is fine wit me though, just the Ship deck is weird cuz like u said, u can connect 2-3 but it just doesnt look right

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 02:51 AM »
You can make huge display with the Jedi Temple base, there are gaps in the middle but it can be done.
"This is the way."

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 05:16 AM »
garret tried and connect bases

"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 05:51 AM »
The problem is that where they connect at that curved portion, they technically aren't actually connected...  Nor when they're "wall-to-wall" and have that back raised portion (like a little chunk of wall, I just call it the "back" of the base), as they're just resting against each other but not technically connected utilizing the tabs sculpted into it...

Had Hasbro made them so they just had those tabs on all 4 sides, that would've made sense so they could literally snap together in any form...  It'd be like this plastic stuff called "Sport Court" they use for things like Dek Hockey where the floor/surface is just plastic flooring that interlocks at all 4 sides perfectly with another piece...  I really don't get why Hasbro sculpted those bases so they're not able to connect on all 4 sides smoothly.  The lava and foliage bases are cool, especially if you could work them into a larger set-up so they blended nicely, but the tiling/deck plating surface is just kinda confusing the way they did it.  Too bad...  It would've been great to accumulate a ton of them and floor a diorama with it totally.  I wanted the bases that the Imp. Dignitaries came with to do that but they never used that base again for some unexplainable reason.

The irony is that they finally fixed the rectangular bases and they DO interlock fairly well (little loose/flimsy but they work).  You can really display with those nicely if you have the ones that interlock well together, however they leave gaps between the bases and have that big SW logo on it...  Do that with just that grid-work sculpted into it, like Deck plating or a Coruscant Street or something, and that's pretty damn cool.  I'd buy just those if they were offered up then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:43 AM »
There's not a lot you can do with them. I did set up 4 of the senate bases the other day to peg Vader's troops. They're goin' after the kiddes!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 10:02 AM »
I think Jesse said it best, very stupid. I aplaud the intent, bases are good. But they should always be designed to interlock in such a way that they take up minimal space and maximum designability. The saga bases, once they were corrected, were great in that respect. The only thing they lacked was an environmental setting design.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 10:37 AM »
What hasbro should do is hold off on the bases all together and make a mail away base with a card board backround that's large enough to set up a scene for a bout 10-12 figures. Like a Death Star Docking Bay base w/ backround, Jedi Temple base with backround, etc. That or make it so that you would have to buy those 10-12 figures w/ interlocking bases to create the scene and mail away for the backround card. I'm not quite as talented as the customizers on this board so I can use all the help I can get ;)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 12:44 PM »
What hasbro should do is hold off on the bases all together and make a mail away base with a card board backround that's large enough to set up a scene for a bout 10-12 figures. Like a Death Star Docking Bay base w/ backround, Jedi Temple base with backround, etc. That or make it so that you would have to buy those 10-12 figures w/ interlocking bases to create the scene and mail away for the backround card. I'm not quite as talented as the customizers on this board so I can use all the help I can get ;)

That would be very similar, if not the same exact thing, as the 1980 mail aways that were, IMO, great. It's an idea that should definately be revisited.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I decided to connect all the green grassy bases last night, and stick them on the section of my shelf where the Wookiees and Gree's men are displayed. I thought it would look better than bare shelf and I'd be able to peg the clones for support. Man, the pegs don't even hold to the shallow holes in the clones' feet. Having only 1 peg per huge base, it wasn't even convenient for placing them where I wanted them. And I could hardly get the Wookiees huge, flat feet to find solid ground on the uneven surface of the bases. What a waste. >:(