Author Topic: Gotta raise 'em right!  (Read 6422 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Gotta raise 'em right!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Just ignore Slothus, Tracy.  He obviously doesn't speak for the rest of the gang here, so don't sweat it, and continue on with all the SW stories (or otherwise) about your kids!!  :D

As for us, no kids, so no stories.

- M

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback and IM's guys -- it's much appreciated. :)  I'm glad to see that the JD family is exactly what I thought it was :)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 08:58 AM »
Those are great stories. My daughters are still a bit too young for any good stories. Our oldest, now almost 2, eats from her Star Wars bowls and cups (from an AOTC cereal premium) daily, and can identify Yoda on the cup, but most of the time she's more concerned with what's in the cup rather than on it. Also, a few months back I bought her the Darth Tater with visions in my head of her playing with it for hours and hours. It must be those bulbous staring eyes on that thing, but she won't go near it and it has to face away from her.  :-\  I think I'll wait a few months then maybe introduce one of those plush buddies to get her interested again.
Here, take your Star Wars toy, play with it and enjoy it before you hurt daddy's feelings.  ;) 

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 10:06 AM »
I think the ribbing and teasing that goes on at JD is great -- I've been known to throw in a few smartass comments myself -- all in good fun. :P  I didn't expect these kind of comments though.  I didn't feel like I posted anything controversial or that deserved judgment.  I felt like you guys were an extended family and that this was something that I could share.  I thought the title of Watto's Junkyard was "This is YOUR community! Discuss everything and have fun..."  Not so fun :(  Is the deal here that you are taken seriously as a member only if you are a collector/customizer?  I didn't get that impression when I joined.

Not me, I don't ever expect to be taken serious...or taken anywhere else...
NOT have fun?? ? ? what's that?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 01:24 PM »

As for us, no kids, so no stories.

- M

Yet.

:-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Whew -- I'm glad its not just me. After that post I thought "was I just being the annoying/bragging mom? Maybe it wasn't of interest to the serious serious collector types :-["

"Serious collector types"? Pfffft. These guys are all a bunch of softies at heart. :-*

No kids here, although I do enjoy reading the stories. I don't have any nephews/nieces/younger-cousins anecdotes either, since I'm an only child and all but two of my cousins are older than me. I have witnessed some interesting or funny stuff in the SW aisles though.

So I'm at Target ogling the various items, pondering my options, when a mom and her small sons come to look over the figures. This was the last day of the 10% off sale and the Bly wave stuff was out. The littler son grabs the White Grievous Bodyguard and makes some comment along the lines of, "Look, they have the white one!" This kid was probably 4 or 5 (I suck at judging kids' ages) so I'd hope he was way too young to be reading online to keep track of the variants. ;) More than likely he simply recognized the white version of the character from one of the reference guides, but it seemed a little odd that he recognized the figure as a variant and almost seemed like he'd been hoping to find one. So maybe he's got a much older sibling who's a collector, or something.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 05:47 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 05:31 PM »
I don't have any kids, but do enjoy the stories. I hope one day to share these timeless movies with my own kids, just as I was shown when I was young.  :)
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 12:26 AM »
None of my own but I indoctrinate my sisters' kids like they're mine.

A few times while babysitting one niece when she was around 6 or 7, she would get my Millenium Falcon, raise it over her head, and fly it around the living room, with her own sound effects and all. Wish I took pictures.

When my nephews were around 1, I showed them the rancor. Scared the crap out of one. The second thought it was a chew toy and started gnawing on the claws.

About the same time, I brought out the naboo fighter. One of them lifted it with both hands as best as he could, made a whirring sound, and moved it back and forth. This surprised me since he had never seen TPM but he knew it was meant to fly.

When the boys were around 3-4, I let them borrow my lightsabers. They took it to my mom's, who babysat them while their parents were at work. I stopped by and my mom was immediately on my case. Something about her displays getting attacked by the boys. But hearing her rant about it paled in comparison to seeing it.

I wasn't there long before one of the boys grabbed a saber, extended it, raced to the cabinets, and just slashed away, left and right. Busted curio pieces were just flying. The sight of this little boy trying to control the saber that was longer than he was tall, and laughing hysterically, still makes me laugh.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 10:12 AM »
I've got TONS of cute stories but just yesterday I picked up the Clone DVD set.  Junior wouldn't take his nap unless I let him sleep with it, and of course, I let him!

:D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 01:12 PM »
No kids yet, but my nephew loves Star Wars, and my best friend's little 3-year old thinks she is a Wookiee.  It's hilarious.

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 09:04 PM »
C'mon C! all that time stayin' awake and you couldn't get your star freak on yet, your sith apocolypse? No underlings yet chewie? ???

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 09:57 PM »
C'mon C! all that time stayin' awake and you couldn't get your star freak on yet, your sith apocolypse? No underlings yet chewie? ???

On behalf of everyone...

What?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 07:33 AM »

On behalf of everyone...

What?

Kevin

Not everyone, just you.  As ****** up and disjointed as that is, I understand it just fine.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 08:11 AM »
I understand what he said, just not what would compel him to say it.
"This is the way."

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 07:15 PM »
Sorry I'm late Tracy... was in Houston... okay, I can relate... I think it's somewhere on here about the time my son (at around 3 years old) threatened a guy stocking the meats at Wal-Mart with a "You'll be dead!"...
and how until around a year ago, when I asked him what the name of the Millenium Falcon was he would always answer "a piece of junk!"...
he used to go to sleep with a "buddy" Wampa, and now it's the Darth Mickey Sharon sent me...
Opening toys I warned him he would be upset with the AOTC Super Battle Droid- since it just falls apart- he didn't believe me until he opened it and saw... now he goes through the cards and says "Mommy, does this one fall apart?" before he'll choose it...
And, of course, you are a Star Wars Mom or Dad when something gets lost under the couch, or under the bed and your first thoughts are "Hand me that lightsaber"... and it's to retrieve a clone trooper- or in the last case Lando's- head...
or, the best... when his teacher asked him things about his mommy to write down for Mother's Day- the question was "My Mommy's really smart, she even knows..." and he answered "all about Star Wars"... :)
You are starting to damage my calm.