Author Topic: New Target Accessory Sets (Summer '03)  (Read 3472 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
New Target Accessory Sets (Summer '03)
« on: April 14, 2003, 08:23 PM »
Found this article over at GH.
Prototype Star Wars Accessory Sets

Though only in prototype form, the Gamorrean Guard gets my vote. Another Rebel Technician.  ::)
Gungan Warrior, not to sure on this one.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 08:02 PM by JediMAC »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: New Accessories For Summer '03
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 12:13 AM »
Yeah, the Gamorrean Guard one looks cool, but I could care less about that other ones.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New Accessories For Summer '03
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 09:51 AM »
I'll be buying a couple of the Rebel Techs and probably one each of the Gungan and the Guard.  I like these suckers a lot and am really looking forward to Wave 3 (DSG, CZ-1 and C-3PO)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: New Target Accessory Sets (Summer '03)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 11:22 PM »
Is that Gamorrean wearing a tutu?  Sure looks like it.

I'll pick up a couple of the techs, one or two Gams but no Gungans.

Gungans = Ewoks.  All must perish. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 01:11 AM »
Well, I'm still "iffy" on these sets...

I admit I liked the 1st sets better after purchasing them, and I'm likely the ONLY guy on Earth who said "Those lil tankdroids rock!" in the Hoth set (If any of you have those and do NOT want them, I'm more than willing to give them a loving home :D ).

I think the Gamorean Guard set is likely my favorite, especially if we're getting neat detailed Thermal Detonators (Any Dark Forces fans out there will know why such a small accessory can appeal to me).  

No matter what though, I still would've liked to have seen some improvements to these figures.  Poseable (and 2 open-fisted) wrists on the Gamorean for instance...  The Gungan would've been nice if they gave us the pack-in gungan from the Faamba just for some variety.

The Yavin Tech though...  Good god.  It's utilizing horrible POTF2 pieces that have BETTER newer counterparts.  Very confusing as to why this figure isn't made of POTJ Imperial officer's body, and a POTJ RFT head.  

The thoughs of a unique Tech's helmet are intriguing though, and the only redeeming feature to that set IMO.  The ladders are a nice thought, and I may find some use for them possibly, but as making scale ships is my ultimate goal then these underscaled ladders aren't as interesting to me as they may have been otherwise.

I still say that the accessory sets are one of the greatest wastes from Hasbro though, and could've definately been a far superior product that had a distinctly broader appeal.  The parts and figures included just weren't that inspiring though.

My favorite thing from the 1st series was the scaled and better detailed Explosive Charges in the Endor set.  Those are great. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 09:33 AM »
.....You test me....  >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 10:26 AM »
.....You test me....  >:(

Now that you understand my purpose in life ;) ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 08:28 PM »

I think for once, Brent and I actually agree on something...   8)  (sorry Brad)   :-X

Like I've said before, conceptually these sets are a great idea and have a lot of promise.  But like what's already been mentioned, that doesn't always translate into Hasbro pulling it off in the most ideal manner - as is the case here.

I picked up plenty of the Gamorrean Guards the first time around, so as far as army-building goes, I'm good with this guy.  Hopefully Hasbro will give him a suped up paint job, with a grungier look with a nice "wash" or something to that effect.  Otherwise, it's just the same pig.  The thermal detonators are a nice touch though, considering the only one we've ever gotten was molded into Boussh's hand.  Since I've NEVER lost a single weapon, even as a kid - I don't have much need for the extras here, but I suppose they're helpful to many other folks.  The carbon block is certainly unique and creative, but still sucks IMHO...

Gungans, schmungans...  Not a fan of them myself.  I'll pick up the obligatory 2 sets for my collection, but that's it with this guy.  Oh yeah, and boomers are lame...   ;)

The Rebel Technician set definitely had the most promise, but it looks like they're re-using old POTF2 body parts, which as Jesse already mentioned, makes NO sense whatsoever when newer, better parts are available elsewhere.  Some nice (and new) accessories in this one though.  Assuming the ladders work well with our various Rebel starfighters, they'll be a nice added touch to our Rebel Hangar dioramas.  As will the other various goodies in this set.  Dig the wand too, but shouldn't there be two of them?

All in all, rehashed and subpar.  Could've been much better.  I do like that we're finally getting some action figure stands with most of our figures now though...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2003, 11:14 AM »
In this photo, MAC, the rebel tech has two wands.

This set looks like it's okay.  It is a kit-bash, though.  The head obviously comes from the  POTF2 Rebel Fleet Trooper, and the body is from the scanning trooper.

A better kit bash might have resulted from using the Imperial Officer body, and the Rebel Trooper-Tantive IV Defender head.  All you would need are new forearms to ditch the gloves, and a new paint job.  However, a customizer friend of mine told me that the Rebel Trooper head peg won't work with the Imperial Officer body.  All I can say to that is DRAT!  I think it would've looked really good in comparison to this Rebel Tech,
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 12:45 PM »
more target accessory sets, i still have to pick up three of the old ones, if i can ever find them in mint condition.

Offline aliasjcb

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 03:10 PM »
Max,
  What do you need? There are still quite a few around here I can grab if you need them. Just let me know.

John

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 01:11 AM »
I've got mixed feelings about these upcoming sets, here's my opinions based on the pics:

Gungan Set - I think this is a lame set and is going to bomb at Target.  The accessories are just horrible, and I don't think too many people will justify paying $10.00 for a Gungan Warrior.  Count me in for just one set.

Gamorrean Guard - this set had so much potential, and Hasbro flubbed it up with the crappy Carbonite block.  Yuck... I'm doing ok on my Gamorrean army, so I will probably only get one of these.

Rebel Technician - This could have been a potential goldmine for Hasbro had they just put the POTJ/SAGA head variants on this figure, and/or had the ability to use the body of the POTJ/SAGA Imperial Officer.  Damn!  I still really like this set though, and want to build a small army of them.  I think I will get about 10 sets of these over time.  I really, really like the accessories that come with it.

:P