Author Topic: How does Obi-Wan know?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
How does Obi-Wan know?
« on: October 28, 2005, 09:39 PM »
Now, this may be considered "spoiler material" so if you don't want to read this until after you've seen the DVD and heard George Lucas' commentary, go back now.

While I was watching the film the other day with the commentary track turned on, during the battle on Mustafar George Lucas says something to the effect of "Obi-Wan turns to leave, telling Anakin 'You were the chosen one!! You were supposed to defeat the Sith, not become one!!' and he leaves Anakin for dead".

Now, if Obi-Wan thinks Anakin is dead at that point, how does he know that Anakin becomes the Darth Vader that we all know and love? I mean, how does Obi-Wan even know that Palpatine re-named Anakin Darth Vader? He never tells him that, he never hears him called that - how does he know later on?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: How does Obi-Wan know?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:31 PM »
Maybe the live-action TV show will tell us?  If not maybe Yoda can still feal Anakin's presence and Yoda tells Kenobi that he is still alive.  I assume that word gets out about the Emperor having a sidekick that is always in black armor, breathing hard, and can wield a lightsaber...eventually. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 11:36 PM »
I mean, how does Obi-Wan even know that Palpatine re-named Anakin Darth Vader? He never tells him that, he never hears him called that

"The boy you trained, gone he is--consumed by Darth Vader."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 04:34 AM »
If I recall didn't Palpatine also refer to Anakin as Vader in the holo-security thing they watched at the Temple?  I know I saw this discussed one other time right after the movie was out.

I know there was confusion over how Yoda knew Anakin was called Vader too when he confronted Palps.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 09:07 AM »
Um, yeah when Obi-Wan watches the security vids, it shows Anakin kneeling and Palpatine saying "Rise, Lord Vader." Also, mentioned above, Yoda says "The boy you trained, gone he is. Twisted by the dark side. Consumed by Darth Vader." Obi-Wan should know, unless he has short-term memory loss.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Ginanalbri

• Youngling
  • My destiny is to be a Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:05 PM »
In the stories of Obi-Wan after the empire was established it is reveled to Obi-wan who Darth Vader is.
SRWS

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2005, 03:04 PM »
In the stories of Obi-Wan after the empire was established it is reveled to Obi-wan who Darth Vader is.

Yeah, but a lot of people don't consider that fodder. :P The reveal in ROTS works good enough for me, although it's a bit weak. :-X
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2005, 04:28 PM »
C'mon guys ...all Masters can feel there padawan's presence and vice versa.
Okay that's like asking how did vader know Obi wan was on the ship?...anyone?..He felt him?...

C'mon I can't believe that OW could not be keeping with world events to not know/feel who vader was......geez he couldn't even stop from feeling a planet explode.....he was that sensitive in the force.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 11:59 PM »
I just got done reading the new book "Darth Vader: Dark Lord" (or something like that). Spoilers ahead, so if you haven't read it yet and want to, go back now.

At the end of the book, Obi Wan is sitting in a cantina on Tattooine when he sees a HoloVid that shows a mysterious, black cloaked figure leading stormtroopers on Kassyyk. He then finds out that this figure is known as "Darth Vader" and only then does he realize that Anakin did not die. I forgot that he sees the HoloVids from the temple where he hears Palpatine call Anakin "Lord Vader" but he never got to see Vader in the suit until then. Which all makes sense.

However, books such as this are not considered "canon" in the SW universe (even though they all have to be approved by Lucasfilm before printing, which makes no sense). So I guess we are supposed to just assume that somewhere between Episode 3 and Episode 4 he learns that Anakin became Vader?

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 10:14 PM »
Is it a good book? I almost picked it up but decided to think about it.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 10:26 PM »
Now, this may be considered "spoiler material" so if you don't want to read this until after you've seen the DVD and heard George Lucas' commentary, go back now.

While I was watching the film the other day with the commentary track turned on, during the battle on Mustafar George Lucas says something to the effect of "Obi-Wan turns to leave, telling Anakin 'You were the chosen one!! You were supposed to defeat the Sith, not become one!!' and he leaves Anakin for dead".

Now, if Obi-Wan thinks Anakin is dead at that point, how does he know that Anakin becomes the Darth Vader that we all know and love? I mean, how does Obi-Wan even know that Palpatine re-named Anakin Darth Vader? He never tells him that, he never hears him called that - how does he know later on?
"You have done well lord Vader" something like that
I suck.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Although in the EU. Qui-Gon reveals this to Obi-wan.I shouldn't say reveal,but confirms. In the book "The Rise of Darth Vader" Obi=wan hears it through the Imperial news station in a bar,but doesn't believe it.Untill he hears Qui-Gon's voice in his head.
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Jedi Lord667

• Youngling
  • True Blue Star Wars Fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 01:11 AM »
Well good question, he probaly knows he's still alive because Yoda senses that he is still alive, so he tells Obi-Won ::)
The Ultimate Star Wars fan

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 01:37 AM »
Sidious calls Anakin Vader in the security recording, and Yoda calls him Darth Vader.  And considering the fact that Darth Vader is known across the galaxy as the right hand of the Emporer, he has to know that somehow Anakin survived.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Satria Libra

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 04:04 AM »
The force tells him?