Author Topic: Mixing Figures  (Read 3401 times)

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
Mixing Figures
« on: October 30, 2005, 01:05 AM »
Hi All

I want to make a few custom figures soon and was wondering is it easy to interchange the body parts on the figures and if so what figures are the best for doing this.

Ron

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing Figures
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 01:42 AM »
Well, there's a lot of fun in this... what you're probably going to find is that out of the 500+ modern figures, most of them have pretty interchangeable parts. 

In doing so, there are different sizes of pegs that each figure has on their shoulders/necks/legs/etc.  Sometimes you'll need to trim the pegs to get them to fit into the sockets of other figures.

Basically, there are thousands (or probably millions) of combinations possible... so making a list is pretty hard.  What I can say though as that older figures (mid-late 90s) are better suited usually for mixing with older figures because of the changes Hasbro has made with ball joints now days.  Newer figures are usually easier to mix with newer figures.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 01:52 AM »
Well, there's a lot of fun in this... what you're probably going to find is that out of the 500+ modern figures, most of them have pretty interchangeable parts. 

In doing so, there are different sizes of pegs that each figure has on their shoulders/necks/legs/etc.  Sometimes you'll need to trim the pegs to get them to fit into the sockets of other figures.

Basically, there are thousands (or probably millions) of combinations possible... so making a list is pretty hard.  What I can say though as that older figures (mid-late 90s) are better suited usually for mixing with older figures because of the changes Hasbro has made with ball joints now days.  Newer figures are usually easier to mix with newer figures.

:P

That pretty much sums it up. Check FFURG for detailed tutorials.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 04:02 AM »
Thanks for the plug Ryan, and I re-suggest it for you Hemble to go to www.FFURG.com to find out all the detailed tutorials you could want and of course you can always ask there and here for help on anything you can't find.

That said, the Star Wars line tends to be a mix-match of things that genuinely match up well and things that don't.

For instance, the pack-in TIE Pilot for the TIE Bomber (with bendable knees) can have those legs transplanted to an IMperial Officer (The POTJ one).  The fit is flawless and it adds poseability to your officer figs...

Another one that's pretty much a straight fit is that the Saga Endor Rebel's whole upper body can be transplanted to the POTF2 Endor Rebel's legs.  Voila, instant neutral stance Endor Rebel but who has some poseability to the arms.  Not too bad...  The only mod is cutting the post I believe on the lower torso.

So that's some ideas of things that work, but I'd say that a bit better than half of the time the parts DON'T fit exact and you maybe have some reworking to do for it to really flesh out right.  It's a lot of trial and error but as you get into the hobby you get a better grasp of what works, techniques to MAKE things work, etc...  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 07:08 AM »
HI Guys

Thanks for the help it's a lot different to my 12"custom stuff I'm waiting on Luke, han, leia and ben and going to repint them and then start on a custom figure and see how I GO.

rON

Offline Delaton

• Youngling
  • FFURG Graphics Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 07:00 PM »
Good luck.  Post any progress or final customs over at FFURG and here!  We'd love to see it.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 08:20 PM »
Hi Ash

Thanks mate I have 2 new figures wll post over on FFURG Tonight.

Ron