Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 115166 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #60 on: May 7, 2007, 05:34 PM »
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and a 1979 Mercedes
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 7, 2007, 06:02 PM »
It looks too much like a big family car. You're young and hip, get something cool!

Just so we're clear, you're kidding right?

it does look like a child seat would fit in the back nicely with plenty of room still for groceries.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2007, 06:03 PM by john todd »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 7, 2007, 07:17 PM »
I'm still driving my 2003 Ford Escape - only 8 months left and it's paid off.  8)  Which is good, because I plan to buy one of these in 2009:

Just enough room for a booster seat and a baby seat in the back.  :D

Offline Darth Jaxx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • POTF2.com
« Reply #63 on: May 7, 2007, 07:30 PM »
I drive a 2000 TIE FYTR.

Here I am, giving it a tune-up.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 7, 2007, 07:52 PM »
That's no hybrid.  Environment killer.

Considering the SUV we briefly owned before it, I'm doing great at 25 mpg.  But you're right.  My next car will be.  I hope to eventually live in a city where I don't really need one though.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 7, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I drive a 2000 TIE FYTR.

That's a great plate, Jaxx!  I've always wanted to get a TIE X1 license plate.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 7, 2007, 09:02 PM »
Alternatively, a gorgeous 1997 Volvo 960 (my car), an equally attractive 2002 Toyota Highlander Limited, and a fantastically fun 2004 Volvo S60. I do so love Volvos.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #67 on: May 7, 2007, 09:15 PM »
That's no hybrid.  Environment killer.

Considering the SUV we briefly owned before it, I'm doing great at 25 mpg.  But you're right.  My next car will be.  I hope to eventually live in a city where I don't really need one though.

I read recently that the Toyota Prius Hybrid actually has a larger carbon footprint than the H3 Hummer because the Prius takes much, MUCH more energy to manufacture.  The increased gas milage cannot overcome the energy used to manufacture the vehicle even spread across the entire lifetime of the car.

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188

They list the Toyota Scion as the ultimate "green" car when you consider manufacturing energy.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 7, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Funny you mention that.  I actually heard a bunch of scientists (well, three) talking about this on a radio program over the weekend, and someone called in with the same claim about the allegedly massive energy expenditures of making the Prius, and all of the scientists--even the global warming skeptics--said that was total bunk.  One of them said that it was a rapidly circulating rumor they'd heard before, but that it was based on entirely speculative data or something.

I didn't listen too closely, because the program was boring, but it's interesting to see that the story's making the rounds.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 7, 2007, 09:45 PM »
2003-Dodge Intrepid-White L VADER license plate
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 7, 2007, 10:01 PM »
2007 Camry Hybrid.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 7, 2007, 11:16 PM »
Funny you mention that.  I actually heard a bunch of scientists (well, three) talking about this on a radio program over the weekend, and someone called in with the same claim about the allegedly massive energy expenditures of making the Prius, and all of the scientists--even the global warming skeptics--said that was total bunk.  One of them said that it was a rapidly circulating rumor they'd heard before, but that it was based on entirely speculative data or something.

I didn't listen too closely, because the program was boring, but it's interesting to see that the story's making the rounds.

Being a skeptic (of AGW) I'd be skeptical about the claim too.  What I'm not skeptical about is people dumping a perfectly good four cylinder car just to get into a hybrid.  You are then doubling the carbon footprint on the manufacturing aspect to save a relatively small amount of carbon output, depending largely on your driving needs. 

I was really just trying to give Rob a hard time, because it's fun.  I would caution against rushing into a hybrid as most reports I hear is that they spend more time in the garage than comparable gas only models.  And that's while still on warranty. 

I do also get a kick out of seeing hybrids on the commute I make, which is 90% highway speeds.  At that point the excess weight of the batteries being carried IS making the car less efficient than the same model without that engine.  For my driving a hybrid would be more harmful to the environment. 

Oh, and we're down two cylinders.  The 97 Pathfinder was traded in a week ago for a 2006 Nissan Altima special edition.  The other car is mine, a '98 Altima with 278,000 km (167K miles) on it.  Only another nine years of driving that until I turn it over to my daughter.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 7, 2007, 11:20 PM »
On an average day, a 2003 Mazda Protege 5.  On a good day, I get to drive the 2006 Toyota Sienna.  ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #73 on: May 8, 2007, 12:04 AM »
What I drive:  2005 Buick La Crosse CXS.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: May 8, 2007, 12:09 AM »
What I drive:  2005 Buick La Crosse CXS.

Last I saw, you drove internet tough-guy dads insane, and into further humilliation.  ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77