Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 115148 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #75 on: May 8, 2007, 12:27 AM »
Yeah, that too... at the risk of my teeth getting punched out and saved in a sack.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 8, 2007, 12:51 AM »
Being a skeptic (of AGW) I'd be skeptical about the claim too.  What I'm not skeptical about is people dumping a perfectly good four cylinder car just to get into a hybrid.  You are then doubling the carbon footprint on the manufacturing aspect to save a relatively small amount of carbon output, depending largely on your driving needs. 

Well in fairness if you trade it in then it goes to someone else.  So long as the car doesn't go to the scrap heap those effects aren't really a factor.  Or so I'd think.

I was really just trying to give Rob a hard time, because it's fun.  I would caution against rushing into a hybrid as most reports I hear is that they spend more time in the garage than comparable gas only models.  And that's while still on warranty. 

I don't know a lot of people personally who have them, but I've got one neighbor with a Prius and they love the thing.  They've probably had it a little over a year.  I haven't read up on them because I haven't been in the market but I'd think that if there were serious problems with them, we'd all know about it and sales would be poor.

As for saving gas, the only real way to do it is to drive less.  Which is what I try to do.  I hate driving.  I've even cut a way back on SW runs.  Barely do that at all nowadays.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 8, 2007, 12:55 AM »

As for saving gas, the only real way to do it is to drive less.  Which is what I try to do.  I hate driving.

I'm the complete opposite, I love driving.  I find it relaxing and it takes my mind off of the day.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: May 8, 2007, 01:13 AM »
Yeah, that too... at the risk of my teeth getting punched out and saved in a sack.

:o
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 8, 2007, 09:18 AM »

As for saving gas, the only real way to do it is to drive less.  Which is what I try to do.  I hate driving.

I'm the complete opposite, I love driving.  I find it relaxing and it takes my mind off of the day.

Polluting and supporting terrorism makes you relaxed!?  Ouch.   8)  :-*

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 8, 2007, 12:36 PM »
What I drive, a 2000 F-150 4x4, with pipe rack, grill guard, bed rails, step up bars...all the goodies.  It's paid off so it's great.

My wife drives a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe.  I'll get pics some time.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 8, 2007, 01:36 PM »

I don't know a lot of people personally who have them, but I've got one neighbor with a Prius and they love the thing.  They've probably had it a little over a year.  I haven't read up on them because I haven't been in the market but I'd think that if there were serious problems with them, we'd all know about it and sales would be poor.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a Prius.  CR gave it above average marks in all categories.  Problem is my car is paid off and the payment alone would wipe out the savings in gas. 

But once the thing was paid for, I'd be on easy street.

Currently, and don't laugh, I drive a 96 Grand Prix with check this, 235K miles. 
« Last Edit: May 8, 2007, 01:36 PM by ruiner »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 8, 2007, 02:27 PM »
2001 Dodge Dakota
2003 Honda not-so-mini-van :P

DS

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 8, 2007, 02:45 PM »
06 Ford Taurus.......er gas hog.   :-\  I'd love to trade it in, but it's the first new car I've ever owned so I wanted to at least own most of it before dumping it off.  I was kinda forced into getting it as my old car died abruptly, but at least I got a good deal on it.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 8, 2007, 02:46 PM »
2000 Mazda MPV minivan (zoom zoom)
1986 BMW 318i

Depends on who's picking up/dropping off the monsters as to which car I drive.

Never updated when this happened about a year and a half ago:

That happened while parked....yes PARKED....at a gas station.  I thought about replacing it with another gorgeous '86 325i convertible, but then my friend offered me his piece of **** '90 Toyota Tercel for $500.  I drive about 3 miles a day to work, and couldn't really care less about my car.  I took the Toyota and spent the insurance settlement check on this:

Every now and then I think about buying a more grown up car, but the feeling only lasts for the five minutes that it takes me to get from my office to my house.

;D
« Last Edit: May 8, 2007, 02:47 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: May 8, 2007, 02:53 PM »
I'm still driving a...

'94 LeBaron Convertible GTC...  Though mine's green with a tan top, but you get the ideea from this photo.  I take care of it so it's in nice shape aside from some scratches here and there, small dents, but nothing major.

I need to get a new top for it though...  Mine's not leaking but over time the seams rip a little and look bad.  I may just do some cosmetic work to it though and save the $500 I'd spend on one and getting it installed. 

It's a fast little beast, fun in the summer, great in the winter, and I still have less than 90,000 miles on it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 8, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Never updated when this happened about a year and a half ago:

That happened while parked....yes PARKED....at a gas station.  I thought about replacing it with another gorgeous '86 325i convertible, but then my friend offered me his piece of **** '90 Toyota Tercel for $500.  I drive about 3 miles a day to work, and couldn't really care less about my car.  I took the Toyota and spent the insurance settlement check on this:

;D

****, were you in it while it happened too? Was looking for a Jesus Fish but couldn't find one from that view.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #87 on: May 8, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Currently, and don't laugh, I drive a 96 Grand Prix with check this, 235K miles. 

I drove a '95 Grand Prix to about 130K, until the transmission cooling tube to the radiator rotted out and started spraying tranny fluid all over the street every time I moved it.  The cost of the repair was more than the car was worth, so since my wife's car had just been paid off I pulled the trigger on the La Crosse.  The La Crosse is NICE, nice driving.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 8, 2007, 06:22 PM »
As of this moment, nothing. I'm stuck at work right now waiting for the tow truck to pick both me and my '95 Infiniti G20 and take us to the mechanic. It's really on it's last gasp. We just had a new alternator installed a week and a half ago, and it seems like something breaks on that piece of crap car every month. When the alternator blew, I was on the freeway going home, but "luckily" I was in traffic in the right lane, so I could easily just pull over.

The problem now seems like the same deal (no power to start, etc.), but what the hell do I know. The rub this time is that our other car (a 2006 Kia Sedona van) is getting its 7500 mile scheduled maintenance done today. So, our family is officially without an available car right now. This oughta be interesting to see how we pick the van up tonight. I fear a car rental is definitely in our future.

Offline Gorkoracing

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 9, 2007, 11:58 AM »
My baby:

97 Eclipse RS with lots of goodies

^^Someone thought it necessary to throw a cinder block through my window to steal my cds