Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie  (Read 33415 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2012, 11:58 AM »
If only they kept Tatum and killed off that Wayans doosh instead. I'd probably go see the movie ten times.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Tatum sucks too man....He is no Duke - or at least he doesn't know how to act like a lead.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2012, 12:22 PM »
No one should die in the movies... they should all survive that missile about to hit that Skystriker by ejecting at the last second.  :-*

Maybe they should just do a reboot already... then they don't even need Mr Abs.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Tatum sucks too man....He is no Duke - or at least he doesn't know how to act like a lead.

completely agreed.  Tatum is what hurt the first movie for me.  Wayans was fine. 

And this past year I just watched HBO's series OZ - and then the other day I watched ROC and I realized the guy that played Adebisi on OZ!  Knowing that made me appreciate the character a tiny bit more.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2013, 03:14 AM »
Movie good, yes?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2013, 06:41 AM »
I liked it a lot.  Captured the essence of the source material very well.  A little cheese but not the 10,00Lbs the first film had.  Definitely apparent that the creative team had a lot of reverence for the ARAH era.  Still would it kill them to say "Yo Joe!" instead of "HooRah!"?  There was also a PERFECT opportunity to slip in an "a real American hero" reference at the end that they missed out on.

For anyone curious, there was no after-credits coda.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I thought it was bad.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2013, 02:54 PM »
I was able to squeeze a viewing into my schedule yesterday. It was a great bad movie, like The Expendables or something similar. It didn't seem to take itself seriously (unlike the predecessor or the Transformers movies) and at times I felt like it was an incredibly well-done action movie spoof. It was exactly what I expected for a movie based on toys, and I had a great time watching it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I was hoping to get out to it this weekend, but may have to wait.  Most of the reviews I've seen of it have been fairly positive, and mostly along the lines of "big stupid fun".  Overall it seems that most people feel it is much better than the first movie, and maybe embraces the 80s toys/comic/toon more than they originally tried to.  If all that is true, it sounds good to me.  I don't expect Joe to necessarily be in a tone of The Dark Knight, and I'm fine with big stupid fun.  Sounds like it could have a decent weekend, so maybe we'll see another.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 8, 2013, 02:40 PM »
I was able to see it on Saturday with my son and wife.  Overall, we all liked it.  Kind of liked the first one too (at least up until the last 20 minutes of it with the underwater battle).

The Good

- Storm Shadow's appearance was great, a nice twist there... I was actually surprised at how they did that, and liked it.

- I love how Cobra Commander dissed Destro and left him - which I think opens up possibility for Destro to return in the next one. 

- Firefly rocked.  Awesome job there.  Love how he was able to handle Roadblock in their first fight.

- The president's role was great, love 90% of his scenes, just didn't like how he fired off the nukes like that, would have been better if all the leaders had guns to their heads by his troops - would have been more tense. 

- Secret Service agents with Cobra lapel pins... fantastic.

- Most Joes killed off, like how a few have to rebuild the team.

- Almost all the action scenes were good, and not overdone.  Very little stupid technology.  Seemed more real.

- Lady Jaye is hot.

The Bad

- Blind Master... really bad storytelling in all of that.  Really missed an opportunity here.  Horrible acting and bad directing.

- Firefly dies.  Too bad - he was a badass.

- Needed better closure with the ending.  Show Cobra Commander landing on an island or something.  Anything.  Show he's not all by himself in a chopper.

- I started to actually like Duke in this one.  Hated to see him die.

- Flint was a weak character.  Needs to be more assertive and cool like the cartoon.  Not too exciting.

For what it was, this was pretty good.  I'd like to see the USS Flagg in the next one and an assault on Cobra Island, with Cobra Commander and Destro having a rogue army with a more traditional kind of Cobra Trooper.  We need ASPs, HISS Tanks and Cobra Maggots all over the place. 

Introduce guys like Rock-N-Roll, Stalker, Gung-Ho, etc.  Bring back Breaker.  Have Zartan as a survivor and introduce the Dreadnocks.  And we need Major Bludd.  Tele-Vipers too.   

Oh, and with Duke dead, bring Baroness back.  She now has nothing to live for and can go back to being a hot chick with black hair and glasses and hates the world.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2013, 02:42 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I thought it captured some things better but flowed worse than Rise of Cobra. Awkward opening narration "After the nanite wars..."

The CGI seemed better than Rise of Cobra.

In the tanks the masks were see-through, so why is Cobra Commander's mask suddenly chromed?

Why is the warden of a prison in East Germany, run by ???(CIA?) a smarmy guy that looks like he should be hitting on women in a club somewhere?

I thought they'd tease SNake-Eyes' scarred face at some point, because Storm Shadow and Firefly kept ripping of their masks like they were in a Tobey McGuirre Spider-Man movie.

I expected Mouse to show up alive at some point.

Overall, not a good movie, but not entirely bad. I'd still be dumb enough to see the third one.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Admittedly I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to GI Joe, but I loved it.  I've seen it three times.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2013, 11:49 AM »
I honestly liked the first one better.  The direction in this one was was horrible as was the editing.  The plot was a mess.  The action sequences were all too close up so you really couldn't see what was going on.  Character development was terrible.  Firefly seemed a little light in his loafers (perhaps this was Stevenson's porr attempt at a Southern accent).  Zartan never got to be Zartan - and then he died.  Oh yeah Zartan died (reemphasizing cuz that sucks real bad), and Zandar, and Firefly....

insert other things...

there was just a lot going on that I didn't like.