Author Topic: ROTS Pegwarmers?  (Read 45494 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
ROTS Pegwarmers?
« on: December 13, 2004, 11:58 AM »
Now that we have seen over 20 ROTS figures via cardbacks who is going to sit on the shelves the most?  I guess it depends upon case assortments and how overboard the stores order them, but we can take a stab at them anyway. 

I will guess that Tion Meddon, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Chancellor Palpatine and perhaps Padme will warm the pegs awhile.  Not that those are bad figures but I'm just guessing those are strong possibilities. 

Tion looks ok but unless he's got some major action scene I doubt he goes over all that well. 

Bail looks good but it's Bail. 

Mon Mothma because she's a senator and a female.  Maybe she'll be 1 per case though? 

Chancellor because everyone will opt for ugly Palpatine with a lightsaber instead. 

Padme because there will be other characters people will want more than her.  I'll buy her because she's a main character.  But I don't know if many will want a pregnant action figure.  Know what I mean?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 12:00 PM by Darth Broem »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS Pegwarmers?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 01:44 PM »
Those are definitely some good choices there.  Also, if these end up at $7 each, there will probably be even more pegwarmers than there should be.

I think a lot of the Jedi will end up being peg warmers - even though they look great, most are essentially AOTC rehashes.

The *hotter* figures I would think would be as follows -

Vader
Clone Trooper
General Grievious
Grievious Bodyguard
Emperor Palpatine
Yoda

- All Collection 1 figures, but the Collection 2 ones do look a bit better.

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 02:10 PM »
I'll say:

Anakin Skywalker
Darth Vader

Trust me, you will be so sick of Vader action figures when this is all over.

We are already getting Anakin and Vader both in Collection 1, then versions in Collection 2, then Deluxe versions, the Vader w/Meditation Chamber, then 12" Figures, then Jedi Battle figures, the Attacktix, then, etc, etc, etc.

He'll be on the packaging, on the in-store signage, on the boxes, EVERYwhere.  I won't be surprised when cases start shipping with 3x Anakin, 3x Vader, and 6 other figures.

When June 2005 rolls around, there will be Vader in amounts the likes of which God himself has never seen.  :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 03:42 PM »
That is true about Vader and Anakin.  I think they will sell well but the stores will order about 5 aisles full of those 2 figures alone.  LOL!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 05:59 PM »
Yeah - I think the first Vader will sell like hot cakes.  After that, I bet we get several more Vaders in '05 - I would go for one with him on the medical table though.

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:31 PM »
I'd add the first Collection 1 Obi-Wan to the list of warmers. He never seems to be a big mover under any circumstances. No one loves the old fossil, it seems.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 10:09 PM »
I'm thinking any main character will Pegwarm after a while. They'll sell like hotcakes for the first month, then stores will order boatloads of them. Kinda like Episode 2.

I also agree with Nataku's Anakin and Vader predictions. Nothing could be closer to the truth.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 06:48 AM »
Look at E2...The pegwarmers ended up for the most part to be the 2 mini waves that followed a month later...at my local kmart they still have a million Luminaras, Taun Wes and Niktos

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2005, 01:35 AM »
I bet all the main characters will pegwarm, like they always do. Padme worst of all. One, she's pregnant. Two, unless Padme is in something skimpy, she pegwarms, at least around here.

I'm doubting Vader will sit much. He is Vader, after all. Even twice-repacked ones never sit. Depends on the kiddies.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2005, 01:45 AM »
At $6.99 a pop, should this continue, I'm going to lay my bet down that everybody undersells what they're hoping for, and that no figure is safe.

Just too damn much money.

$5.99's pushing it as it stands...  POTC's got some, sadly, regretful choices in it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: January 2, 2005, 02:00 AM »
I agree. $7 is simply too much money for what we're getting.

For $7, you can buy the following:
1 Marvel Legends figure, at 6" tall and uber-articulation
1 Spider-Man Classics figure, same as ML
1 GI Joe 2-pack, with lots of accessories and two figures on the same card
1 LOTR figure, with a top-notch sculpt and reasonable articulation, not to mention the Armies line

If $7 is the price, Hasbro and their big-box brethren are going to have a long, hard summer this year.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 2, 2005, 02:28 PM »
There is no possible way that the figures will remain at 6.99, I'd say they'll go down by the time the film opens to about 5.99 and then spiral down into the whatever price.

However, I would anticipate that the line will be more succesful due to more hype around the movie, and it generaly looking to be better than the other two prequels.

So, my guesses? Not as many peg warmers as in previous years.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 3, 2005, 09:50 AM »
I agree. $7 is simply too much money for what we're getting.

For $7, you can buy the following:
1 Marvel Legends figure, at 6" tall and uber-articulation
1 Spider-Man Classics figure, same as ML
1 GI Joe 2-pack, with lots of accessories and two figures on the same card
1 LOTR figure, with a top-notch sculpt and reasonable articulation, not to mention the Armies line

If $7 is the price, Hasbro and their big-box brethren are going to have a long, hard summer this year.

This is an excellent point, and something I have thought about too.  I've only seen a few of the POTC figures, and picked up Yarua and Pablo Jill a few weeks back.  I do like the figures, and was glad to find them, but it really pained me to pay $7 each for them.  There just isn't $7 worth of figure there to me.  If we an entire line with the quality of say the VOTC Stormies, Chewie, Han, etc., and they ran for around $7 I might be able to justify it more.  Still might be a little high.  I really like the "smaller" 3 3/4" scale that Star Wars still provides, but when you have them running the same price as the larger Marvel or LOTR figures, it seems like you are getting ripped off.

That said, back on topic, I'd agree that many of the "main" characters will be the pegwarmers.  Also, figures like Padme, Mon Mothma, etc. will likely sit unless really shortpacked or "rare" or something.  I hope that we do see the pricepoint go down to at least $6 by the time the movie line hits.  I'm excited for this movie, and for the toy line, but I just don't know if I can go out and pay $7 a pop for these figures.  I'll still collect, but I might have to be more selective at that price.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 3, 2005, 02:14 PM »
Yep, at $7.00, I will still get what I want, but will limit my army-building and purchasing of custom fodder.

At $6.00 I will be a little more free-spending.

At $5.00 I will be out of control.

I'm thinking Walmart will keep the gouging a bit lower, and will sell their ROTS figures for $5.76 or $5.88 or something like that.  TRU and Target will be forced to lower to $5.99.  And later Walmart will lower them back down to $4.76 or so, and the other retailes will go back down another buck.

SilverZ

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Add the initial Deluxe line to the list of pegwarm fodder:

GH's Obi-Wan vs. SBD pic

What a piece of crap.