Author Topic: ROTS Pegwarmers?  (Read 45566 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS Pegwarmers?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Ah, it's Obi-Wan Kajesus, nice.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 05:23 PM »
I guess he's supposed to do his patented kicking move.  Ah, action features.  How you brighten my day.   ;)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Thought it was time to bump up the pegwarmer thread...

Here in MN the pegs are full of the first wave of deluxe, lots of all 4 of those guys left.  :(

For the basic figures, just about everywhere I go Tarfful and Grievous Bodyguard outnumber the rest of the figures 5-to-1.  Anakin and Obi-Wan (all versions) sell pretty well and disappear over time, but those Grievous Bodyguards just sit there and clog up the pegs.

One Target I hit today had 20+ Bodyguard on the pegs and 15+ Tarfful, easily outnumbering anyone else that was there.

Have a pegwarmer you're sick of seeing already (even though it's only been 1 month  :P)?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 6, 2005, 02:18 PM »
For awhile there, I couldn't find Grievous Bodyguards anywhere, but they are starting to hang out now it seems.  I also see a lot of Tarffuls, and a fair amount of most of the Jedis.  I think I see several Aayla Securas each time I go, along with the other female Jedi.  But, it isn't just limited to them, I think I could go pick up any Jedi at any store in town right now, from those first 32 figures or so.  Really, overall, of those first 32 figures none are too hard to find.  I'd say the scarcest figures would be (1) Royal Guard (Red) - Still haven't found one, (2) Royal Guard (Blue) - Not since opening day (3) Clonetroopers - although they seem to be showing up a bit more regularly now (4) Darth Vader - Starting to show up more again now, but was pretty scarce for awhile (5) Emperor/General Grievous - You can find them, but fairly scarce.  I think when I have seen kids looking at figures with their parents, the first choices always seem to be Chewbacca, R2-D2, Vader, Clones, or Obi/Anakin.

A bit of the later waves are starting to show up now (33-40), and of those figures there seems to (somewhat surprisingly) be a lot of Clone Pilots sitting.  I also saw quite a few of 'Splodin Grievous yesterday, although I still haven't picked that figure up.  I haven't seen a Tank Gunner at retail besides the 1 I picked up at Kohl's.  That day I just got one of each, since they were $6.99, and could have gotten more Gunners....and probably should have :).  The Clone Commander has been scarce here thus far too, I've picked up mine at Kohl's, and found 1 at Wal-Mart yesterday.

Deluxe Figures - All Wave 1, everywhere here.  No signs of anything else.  By far, the biggest pegwarmers of these is the Obi/Super Battle Droid pack.  I'm wondering if any have sold.  Otherwise, lots of Palpys as well, and every so often an Grievous...but those seem to be selling well.  I haven't seen the "Anakin to Vader" figure for weeks now, those seem to have sold quite well.

Ships - The Jedi Starfighters.  A whole mess of them at each store I go to.  The others are hit and miss.  The BARC Speeder seems to be a favorite of the kiddos around here, been a few times I have seen wee ones carrying those around.  AT-RT is nonexistant, Droid Tri Fighter is a tougher find than most, and Grievous' Wheelbike can be found pretty easily...but not in Starfighter amounts.  The Boga depends on the store.  Target has lots, Wal-Mart very few if any, and TRU has a few.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 6, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Pretty much all of the first 32 with the exception of the Emperor, Vader, Secura, and the Royal Guard(s) are pegwarmers in my area, with Tarfful, Yoda (both versions), and Plo Koon holding court as the Lords of the Pegs (what's clearance, precious?).

Clones are kind of in that gray area here.  They're not as easy to find as any version of Obi-Wan or Anakin, but they're not as hard to find as a Vader either.  Clone Commanders and Clone Pilots are just now starting to show up in decent numbers (although the Pilots do sit for a while; if Hasbro actually shipped and retail actually stocked the ships they pilot, they might sell better), but the AT-TE Gunner is nearly impossible to find (I've only seen two and that was this past Tuesday, when I finally got my one). 

Of the post-32 figures, Vader's MD is usually the sign you've missed an AT-TE Gunner and it's the only figure that tends to hang around from those four.  I wouldn't say it is a pegwarmer yet, but it's got "Arena Padme" written all over it.*

If I see one more Obi-Wan deluxe I'm going to vomit.  The deluxe Palpatine is running a distant second, and thankfully the Vulture Droid is only one per case or else I have a feeling I'd be seeing it everywhere I go.  12" Clones are abundantly abundant, as are (poetically) the 12" Anakin/Vader monstrosity. 

Vehicles are, believe it or not, seemingly outselling the basic figures around here.  Not an ARC or Gunship to be seen, the Boga is surprisingly popular, the AT-RT comes and goes within a day or two, and the BARC Speeder even sells briskly despite it being a total piece of crap.

Force Battlers, by comparison, are just flying off the shelves.  It's hard to tell whether the FB or Attacktix are selling better since there are never any around.  ::)

And the Vader Voice Changer helmets are going to go down as the "Hulk Hands" of this summer.  Even though the Vader helmet is infinitely cooler (to me at least), a WM employee told me that they get at least two cases of them every week and that because of the full shelves, they have a backlog of several cases in the back to be stocked when room becomes available.

EDIT:  Oops, forgot the pithy comment :)

*Now available on Ebay: "HOT RARE VHTF VADAR'S MEDICAL DROID WITH ARENA PAMDE WRITTEN ON CARD CHASE VARIANT ROTS YODA CLONE HOT!"

« Last Edit: May 6, 2005, 04:29 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 6, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Surprisingly similar to up here.  We're behind in getting the figures from 33-44 so none of those really sit, though I was able to find some clone pilots a day after they were reported.  But the commanders, Grievous and Palpatine from 33-36 were all gone already. 

From 1-32 only Vader and the clone move really well.  Royal guards are starting to sit (red) and we've still yet to hear of a blue guard on a trilogo cardback.  All of it will be on clearance at Walmart I'd suggest.  They restocked with 1-32 completely, about 9 cases worth and only Vader and the clone moved.  Hopefully the movie inspires some people to pick up the basic figures or we're screwed for later waves. 

Remarkably Walmart Canada isn't carrying any ships at all, just basic figures plus the crap.  While that's disappointing from the I'm waiting until it goes on clearance standpoint, overall it's probably good for the general health of the line with Walmart - if they lose less money than the last two movies, they may continue to carry the line ::)

Ships and 12" move well up here, though we're getting close to saturation I think.  Retailers have been remarkably cautious thus far and that's smart, I've seen little to no advertising for the movie outside of the inundation of promotional tie-ins.  But no TV ads for the most part, still have yet to see the preview in a theater ???

Deluxe are, and always will be, crap that sits on the pegs.  I've only picked up the Anakin/Vader and I'm sorely tempted to return it.  Wave 2 hasn't hit here yet, though from C3 they look much more interesting.  I foresee no problem getting any of the deluxe I may want (Palpatine pepper shaker?) on clearance down the road. 

Destined for clearance, IMO (in Canada):
1-32 for the most part
Deluxe, except Vader
A small number of smaller ships, maybe including the Boga, BARC and a Jedi Starfighter or two
Attacktix
Force Battlers
Voice Changer

Vader's MD is usually the sign you've missed an AT-TE Gunner
Too true and too sad.  The gunners have been out sparingly up here since April 2nd and I've yet to find one.  I've picked up Polis, the MD and Mas Amedda, but I've yet to see a gunner in person.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #21 on: May 7, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I hope they clearance the rest of the ROTS figures 1-32. They seem to just be sitting on the pegs. I have noticed more people are actually buying them though so that's good.
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: May 7, 2005, 04:48 PM »
Haven't really interjected here yet...

In my neck of the woods, this is what I see:

-TONS of droids...  SBD's, BD's...  They are pegwarmers extrordinaire out here.  If the SBD were just the AOTC basic one with a more poseable right arm, i'd have bought it.  I actually liked that figure but just wanted a poseable right arm.  Greivous' guards also sit, however I too noticed they sold well at one point.

-Collection 1...  Guys like Tarful, Chewie, the main Jedi (Yoda, Obi, Ani, Mace), are all warming pegs in every store.  They're subsequently the worst quality figures int he line it seems as well, so no surprise there.

-Collection 2...  Really only the Jedi sit here.  Even Prego Amidala isn't TOO overly common.  Of the Jedi, I see more Plo and Sae Sae than anyone, and really Aylya and Agen Kolar have all but dried up.  Luminara and Shaak Ti are sort of on the in-between level, or as abundant as Plo/Sae are.

-Bail Organa is a pegwarmer, and that sucks.  He's a good figure.  Along with the C2 Jedi who are sitting some, Bail lingers.  He's boring, it would happen.  Even I haven't bought one yet, and he really is a quality looking figure.

-Figures are MOVING slowly.  Even "pegwarmers" I've noticed are moving somewhat slow but steadily.  My Targets have an endcap at the registers of figures, and just watching them dwindle down to fewer figures EVERY time I'm in the stores here, that tells me that the kiddies are getting their attentions wrapped around SW again.  That endcap at my nearest Target is almost dry of figures now.  Sneaky of them to put that at the registers like candy.  A nice impulse purchase thing for the parents to shut their kids up.  Oh that's shrewd!

-Clones are GONE...  I'm lucky to see a #6 at this point, much less a Commander, Pilot, or whatever...  Clones are the HOT figure, there's not a doubt about it.  The Guards are also long gone, both blue and red.  These are hot items.  Even TRU is out of the #6 Clone and they used to have him in semi abundance at one point.

-AT-RT's are only now starting to sit, as is the ARC-170.  Used to be that these two vehicles were impossible to find.  The Boga, Greivous' bike, BARC, and Jedi Fighters have sat from day one though...  THe surprise ship of the line then?  The Tri-Fighter which I have seen only once, didn't buy, and now wish I had one.  See, quality does outsell its lesser competition!  :)  The AT-RT still moves, which is good, but it's starting a little back up now.  That's expected with vehicles I suppose.

-I've yet to see a Mustafar playset.  They're out I was told, just recently showing up at a local WM for the first reported time in my area, so it's tough to judge there.

-Attacktix is surprisingly picked through at Local Targets.  I notice how it's always a jumbled mess, even after I know it's been fixed.  I think it's selling slowly perhaps.

-Board Games = Clearance.

-Playskool Figs don't seem to be moving...  Those big figures.   I see the same stuff every time.

-GalacticHeroes have hit the wall and are sitting right now, but that may just be the selection.  That line has weird popularity. 

-No Darth Taters in sight.  I've yet to see this, and now I actually sorta want it.   :-\

That's Pittsburgh in a relative nutshell...  I'm sure I forgot a figure here and there like 3po (not all that common in my area, actually), or Dooku (again, 2, maybe 3 on the pegs at any given store, but that's it).  If I forgot to mention them, they're likely selling and not something I see rifling through the pegs.

Yoda is perhaps one of the all-time pegwarmers in ROTS.  An irony that will perplex Hasbro and retail since he was the "hot" figure in AOTC's launch for some time.  His figures suck though, and 2 at one time seems not such a great idea anymore.  I'm not surprised at a lot of the Collection 1 stuff sitting then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: May 7, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I really think the sales have been phenomenal, I have seen the pegs replenished at my local Target at least 10 times already...I'm serious too, they will dwindle down to 3-4 per peg and then boom, restocked full and repeat

I can see the SBD and the Coll 2 Jedi pretty much everywhere.  Mon Mothma, Padme and Bail also tend to sit.  But I think they are all moving...at least around here and moving a lot of product

The other crap though is rotting...I wish they would have stuck more money in to 3-3/4" and ditched the Attacktix and Minis and Diecast and most of the deluxe...better quality pack-ins and more stuff like astromechs etc would have went a long way to moving more product.  Its a shame stuff like the Barc and the AT-RT sit because of crap-ass figures

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 7, 2005, 05:26 PM »
I really think the sales have been phenomenal, I have seen the pegs replenished at my local Target at least 10 times already...I'm serious too, they will dwindle down to 3-4 per peg and then boom, restocked full and repeat

That's one of the great things about Target.  They have probably THE best inventory management around.  They keep track of sales not only on a day-to-day basis, but they check their stock levels 2 times during the day as well.  As a result they manage their stock much more efficiently than TRU or WalMart.  It also helps keep their stock as current as possible.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 8, 2005, 11:49 AM »
That's one of the great things about Target.  They have probably THE best inventory management around.  They keep track of sales not only on a day-to-day basis, but they check their stock levels 2 times during the day as well.  As a result they manage their stock much more efficiently than TRU or WalMart.  It also helps keep their stock as current as possible.

I've always admired how Target is so ruthless about if something isn't selling after a certain period of time, they mark it down and move it to the clearance aisle to make room for products that will sell.  This happens in nearly every department of the store (even their DVDs and CDs go on sale every week or so) and like you said Nick, they keep a very close eye on stuff.  Those pricing guns they have are very cool, as I got to see one up close this morning. 

I could go on a huge anti-Wal-Mart rant here, but it's neither the time nor the place.  What I will say is that Target seems to actually care about not only what they stock, but how they stock toys; WM just throws the stuff out on the shelves, overfilling pegs and then leaving the "falling figures" lying on the floor, and when they eventually do mark stuff down for clearance, it takes them forever to lower the price more than 5 dollars on a 50 dollar item.

The idea of clearancing the basic figures is a tricky one though, and the main reason this doesn't happen more often is because of Hasbro's insistence on sticking to a single (or in film years, two single) UPC for the assortment as a whole.  Yes, each figure has its own UPC code, but they are all part of a larger assortment and that is what is referenced when the figures are ordered/reordered.  If Hasbro actually wanted to get product to shelves, they would delete certain case assortment numbers at the beginning of every year, and new figures would be released under a new case assortment number.  That way the old figures could be clearanced out and new figures would actually be on the pegs.

Hasbro had the same UPC for Collection 1 figures from the beginning of POTF2 until the end of 1998 and near the end (with the FF figures) it caused some major problems because retail had so many older figures under that UPC, they didn't want to order the cases with new ones.  Hasbro continuing to pack in figures that had already reached a saturation point with these new cases didn't help matters either.  I thought they had finally figured out how to do case assortments during the POTJ era, but I was completely wrong.

And they're still making stupid assortments.  Future C1 assortments for ROTS will be including Obi-Wan 1, Anakin 1, Yoda 1, Super Battle Droids, Bail Organa, Grievous' Bodyguards, and so on.  Is there really any need at this point to reship these?  All of them are easily found and I would wager that there are so many of these out there right now that they would more than fulfill the demand once the film has been released.

They could have very easily done their first two case assortments with 1 of each figure (the way they did), and then subsequent case assortments would not need to include any of these figures again, with the exception of Clones. 

This is just how I would have done things:

Collection 1, Wave 2 case:

3 x Tarfful
3 x Obi-Wan 27
3 x Anakin 28
3 x Yoda 26

Collection 1, Wave 3 case:

3 x General Grievous 36
3 x Palpatine 35
3 x Clone Commander
3 x Clone Pilot

Collection 1, Wave 4 case:

3 x Clone Trooper 41
3 x Destroyer Droid
3 x Neimoidian Warrior
3 x Wookiee Warrior

Then, they could do this case assortment, which would do a lot of good:

Collection 1, Wave X case:

6 x Clone Trooper 41
3 x Clone Commander
3 x Clone Pilot

But, it's Hasbro, so they only pack the Clone 41 at two per case AT MOST and in several assortments at only one per case, so they can shove in MORE Obi-Wan 1s and Anakin 2s.   ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 8, 2005, 03:43 PM »
I must walk into the wrong Targets in the US.  In all of the following cities I've had infinitely better luck at Walmart than at Target:

Grand Forks
Fargo
West Lafayette/Lafayette
Indianapolis
San Diego

Now I've no real idea why, but every single time I go into Target there's nothing there.  They are cleaner, the staff seem more interested and they are clearly less congested with annoying people but I have crap for luck in Target :-\  But on pretty much every visit I make to the US I end up with something in a Walmart bag and nothing out of Target.  It drives me nuts. 

I can understand the GF/Fargo/Lafayette thing, they're all smaller towns, but Indianapolis and San Diego?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: May 9, 2005, 12:10 AM »
In general over the last 5 years I say I've bought far far more stuff at Wal*Mart, however, this last month at my neighborhood Target has been a goldmine.  I have seen every figure from 1-40 multiple times on different trips there.  Today I saw the new Wookiee Warrior, yesterday I picked up the new Deluxe...contrast that to the local Wal*mart that still has pegs full of the first 24 and I have only seen 33-36 there once and never 37-40. Pegs still full of deluxe etc...locally, Target is kicking Wally's butt on Ep3 IMO.  The exclusives are better, the product moving is much better, the people are nicer, the shoppers have all of their teeth...

In the long run, that may not be good for the health of the line.  As goes Wal*Mart so goes a toy line.  They themselves could kill this sooner than we think :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: May 9, 2005, 01:51 AM »
I think my finds is a pretty good balance between Target and WM...  KM fights in there though, and I've probably bought as much at KM as I have at TRU if that's possible.  They just seem to get stuff in in non-movie years. 

Target and WM fair about the same with me though...  Sometimes WM is cleared out and getting in the stuff I want, and sometimes Target is the one with more common sense in their ordering habits.  That's a toss-up for me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 9, 2005, 08:55 AM »
I guess in my area we are lucky because you can find almost all the first 32  figures plus all the vehicles are either Targets, Walmart and even TRUs.  KB has them as well but at 7.99, yeah right.  One target yesterday had 38 of the first 40 (no commander of course and no guards).  The only deluxe figs that stick around are side kick Obi, red gown palpatine and rip off grevious.

The only figures I do not see anymore are the red and blue guards, and the clone troopers (#6).  Although every few days some clones show up but they ship out equally fast.
Gatillo

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.