Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 337638 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1005 on: December 11, 2009, 05:40 PM »
I'm sure everyone has already seen this, but just in case....they have unveiled a new Whiplash poster for Iron Man 2:

Whiplash

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 16, 2009, 08:36 PM »
The first trailer for Iron Man 2 is now online.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 16, 2009, 09:33 PM »
It's still kind of hard for me to get excited about Iron Man, but that looks pretty badass.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 16, 2009, 10:21 PM »
It's still kind of hard for me to get excited about Iron Man, but that looks pretty badass.

Why is this hard for you to get excited about?  The first movie was kick butt.  That trailer looks pretty sweet - thanks for sharing!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 16, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Looks pretty good, can't wait.  8)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 17, 2009, 02:40 PM »

Why is this hard for you to get excited about?  The first movie was kick butt.  That trailer looks pretty sweet - thanks for sharing!

I've just always thought Iron Man is a lame, B or C level character.  Purely my own subjective, biased opinion.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1011 on: December 17, 2009, 02:46 PM »
He pretty much was.  But the first movie was just awesome.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 17, 2009, 05:17 PM »
He pretty much was.  But the first movie was just awesome.

B or C character?  Really?  I always thought of him as an A-lister.  He’s a founding member of the Avengers and has more star power than all but a few Marvel equities.  Spiderman, Wolvie, and Captain American are the big three, but he’s definitely in the next tier (maybe that’s B class for some).  I’d rank his popularity higher than Thor, the rest of the X-Men, or even Thor.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 17, 2009, 08:45 PM »
You know, I guess - at least as a comic reader - I always considered him "A list" as well, but I don't think the general public really had any idea who he was prior to the movie, at least for the most part.  In that sense, he probably wasn't A list before.  Prior to the superhero movie crazy of the last 10+ years, I think only a handful of heroes had that distinction - like Spidey, Batman, Superman, the Hulk and possibly other characters like Captain America, Flash, Wolverine, and Wonder Woman.  The "general public" might not know a ton about many of those characters, but could probably at least recognize a picture of them.  The movie push has changed that and really expanded that list I think.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1014 on: December 17, 2009, 11:21 PM »
I'd rate him second-tier.  His book was never a big seller.  The only memorable story arc was Demon in a Bottle... otherwise I don't know that anybody could name anything he did prior to the first movie.  His rogue's gallery is very weak.  I mean, his main enemy is named after an orange...

The movie certainly shot him to the upper pantheon of Marvel heroes.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1015 on: December 18, 2009, 12:27 AM »
I think Marvel started elevating Iron Man to the A List about 5-6 years ago.  Heck, during my comic reading heyday, Rhodes was in the yellow and red for most of it.  And that was for a good period of time.  So to me, he ranked along side the likes of Thor, Daredevil or Dr Strange at the top of the B List.  But recently they really started pushing the Avengers role and the Civil War and the movie, I'd say most people now think of him as an A-Lister.

And Iron Mans rise juxtaposes the fall of former A-lister, The Incredible Hulk...he was a definite A-lister for a long time for Marvel...but I don't think the movies or the last few years have recaptured his former glory. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 18, 2009, 08:43 AM »
I think Hulk was moving back in that direction with Planet Hulk, but seems like World War Hulk and the whole Red Hulk shenanigans haven't paid off for Bruce & company.  Next year's big plunge is the "Fall of the Hulks" storyline, so maybe that will bring him back to the forefront. 

I think Brian hit it spot on - if you were a big Marvel follower, Iron Man was a pretty major character.  Founder of the Avengers, Avengers West, Force Works, Director of SHIELD, helped rebuild the New Avengers...that's pretty big stuff.  If you look at varioius toylines like Legends, Galactic Heroes, little playschool stuff, Iron Man was always in the mix as well, but I'd agree that the general public still didn't have a clue about him.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1017 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59 AM »
I like that they updated IM armor again so he sports the triangular arc reactor on the chest. *nerd*
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 15, 2010, 09:17 PM »
SuperHeroHype (via MTV) has some information, straight from director Martin Campbell, on the upcoming Green Lantern movie.  I don't know what everyone considers spoilers at this point, but they mention characters who will be appearing, as well as one of the leading candidates to play Sinestro at this point.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1019 on: January 26, 2010, 02:26 PM »
If you hate AC/DC you're probably going to be very annoyed by the music in Iron Man 2...

AC/DC: Iron Man 2
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender