Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335361 times)

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2006, 02:09 PM »
That movie looks pretty sweet. I wanna see it!
Yo is what yo is.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 1, 2006, 04:36 AM »
Yep, just got back from seeing Superman Returns, holy **** that was a great flick.  8)

Kevin Spacey is a great Lex, as with Frank Langella (Perry White) & Sam Huntington (Jimmy Olsen), fit the parts perfect.

Very nice to see a cameo of Jack Larson in this, he played Jimmy Olsen in the Adventures of Superman back in the 50's & mega buck man Sir Richard Branson.

As for Kate Bosworth, nope sorry, your no Lois Lane.

Brandon Routh, looks like they got their man.  8)

Very nice nod to Action Comic #1.  8)  ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 1, 2006, 05:15 AM »
I saw Superman Returns tonight too, and really, really liked this movie a lot.  It was fun and left me and my wife with a good feeling, really uplifting.  Good to see a positive movie like that.  I hope this does very well at the box office, best movie I've seen since ROTS.

Also, I noticed some subtle things in it that seemed to hint at what they think about some of the talk in society from some people that they don't need God a part of people's lives.  I thought with how this movie says how the world needed Superman, and and what seemed like several times hints at how mankind needs to have a Savior to look forward to, really was hitting at something deep inside what makes people who we are, and really liked that.

This movie left me in a great mood.  I'll probably go see it again.  And the only other movies I have ever seen more than once in a theatre are the Star Wars movies.  I liked this that much - better than LOTR, better than Spider Man, and maybe equally to the Indiana Jones movies.  It was one of those movies that captures the imagination again, and you want to look up in the sky and actually see him saving someone.  It really was fun.

We needed this movie this summer in my opinion, and I hope you guys go see it and are able to enjoy it as much as my wife and I did.  It was really so much fun.

:)

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 1, 2006, 06:36 AM »
Also, I noticed some subtle things in it that seemed to hint at what they think about some of the talk in society from some people that they don't need God a part of people's lives.  I thought with how this movie says how the world needed Superman, and and what seemed like several times hints at how mankind needs to have a Savior to look forward to, really was hitting at something deep inside what makes people who we are, and really liked that.

Save it for literature...not movies.

This movie really didn't do anything for me. Usually I cheer on long running films, but the duration of Superman, in my back's opinion, could have been cut shorter. The imagery was fantastic, but the chemistry between Clark and everyone else seemed odd and sometimes completely shut off. I felt no element of suspense in the film, and subsequently, no drive to pay attention. We know that Superman can't die, and we don't expect anyone else to. Really, nothing of consequence happened in the film, which isn't a surprise because of the scale it would have to be on to propose some sort of challenge to the superhuman qualities of Superman.

Overall it was pretty, but empty.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 1, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Same here. The plot was ridiculous, and the baby drama backstory ended up eclipsing the suggested excitement of Superman's return, which relegated him to a background character. He popped up on screen to lift some heavy objects, then fly away. next time, if there is one, they need a credible villain. Not a disgruntled guy with an affinity for books and world domination by way of uninhabitable rock sculptures.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #335 on: July 1, 2006, 02:43 PM »
Ditto.

I absolutely hated it, but only because they turned Superman into a creepy stalker and made him a "Baby Daddy".

I've been talking about it all week over at RS, but this movie had the makings of something excellent and was completely torpedoed by whatever jackass writer thought Superman needed some "family issues".

Got Clones?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 1, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Yep, just got back from seeing Superman Returns, holy **** that was a great flick.  8)

Kevin Spacey is a great Lex, as with Frank Langella (Perry White) & Sam Huntington (Jimmy Olsen), fit the parts perfect.

Very nice to see a cameo of Jack Larson in this, he played Jimmy Olsen in the Adventures of Superman back in the 50's & mega buck man Sir Richard Branson.

So that was Richard Branson?!  I thought so.

Apparently Noelle Niel, who played Lois Lane in the television show was the rich old lady that Luthor swindled out of her fortune.

Another good nod to the past was the picture of Glenn Ford on the mantle at the Kent home.  He had one of the most extraordinary parts of the original movie.

I thought that this was a fantastic movie.  I can understand now why Bryan Singer left the X-Men franchise to pursue this.  I would definitely like to see a sequel, and I think the actors have been contracted to do so.  Perhaps they can incorporate a villain like Metallo or Brainiac.  I think that either one would be credible in the movie universe of Superman.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2006, 02:52 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 1, 2006, 03:15 PM »
I agree, the next one does need some sort of powerful villian, like General Zodd's return or something.  Lex Luther was fine though I thought, and if they are making a new trilogy then this was a good start to it.

There might be a few things I would have changed with it, but I still loved it.  It was just a lot of fun.

:)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 1, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Just came back from seeing Superman Returns. IMO it's up to par with X3, around a 9 out of 10.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 1, 2006, 07:30 PM »
[quote author=CHEWIE link=topic=9954.msg240681#msg240681

Also, I noticed some subtle things in it that seemed to hint at what they think about some of the talk in society from some people that they don't need God a part of people's lives.  I thought with how this movie says how the world needed Superman, and and what seemed like several times hints at how mankind needs to have a Savior to look forward to, really was hitting at something deep inside what makes people who we are, and really liked that

There was a strong Christ allegory in the film, topped off with Supes falling, arms spread after getting rid of the continent.

I loved the film.  Routh was perfect, Spacey was fantastic (Parker Posey too!) and I thought Bosworth did a fine job as well.  The nods to the original films were great.   I had goosebumps during the open and also just before the credits.

Left wide open for a sequel- what did Kal-El find in his years in space and how did he get on that ship.

I liked the way Singer implied that Supes stores power from the sun like a battery.

Superman is my all-time favorite superhero film, and this one is right up there near the top.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 1, 2006, 07:41 PM »
I liked the way Singer implied that Supes stores power from the sun like a battery.

That's, uh, the way the yellow sun effects Kryptonians.

Yeah.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #341 on: July 1, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Kryptonians have a red sun, so yeah Kev is right. I'll break it down. Red sun nooo power, Yellow sun Lots of power. ;)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 1, 2006, 10:59 PM »
I understand that.  What I meant is that he seemed to go up after Lois rescued him and "stored up" some extra power to lift out the continent.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 3, 2006, 03:03 AM »
Pretty good numbers for Superman Returns for a 5 day release.

From the Superman Hompage:

While taking in over $32 million on Wednesday and Thursday, "Superman Returns" managed to top the weekend box office with approximately $52.15 million in over 4,000 theatres, an average of $12,829 per theatre.
This takes the total so far to $84.3 million in five days, which exceeds both "Batman Begins" and Peter Jackson's "King Kong" in their first five days.

The movie enjoyed the highest five-day gross in Warner Bros. studio history, beating 2003's The Matrix Revolutions, which did $83.7 million in its first five days.

"Bryan [Singer] is just such a bright and creative individual. He had his own vision, and he was right and did a great job," said Dan Fellman, Warner head of distribution.

The movie should hit $110 million by Tuesday, Fellman said.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 3, 2006, 09:26 AM »
We went and caught this on Friday afternoon, and really enjoyed it as well.  Sure, things aren't exactly like the comic - but these movies never are (nor really can be in many instances).  It will be interesting to see where things head from here, with the new revelations in this movie.  I thought the lead actors, as well as supporting roles, were all very good.  Brandon Routh makes a great Superman and Clark, and although he is eerily similar to Christopher Reeve - it didn't seem like an imitation to me, just some good acting on his part.  Spacey was a great Lex Luthor, and Kate Bosworth was better than I expected as Lois.  Jimmy (Sam Huntington) and Perry (Frank Langella) were both very good as well.  I thought it was a great movie, and I hope they make more.