Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335421 times)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #825 on: October 1, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Was watching the news and apperently there are 5 new marvel movies coming out. It said 2 of them are iron man sequels, and we already know about spiderman 4/5...so I wonder what the last one will be.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 1, 2008, 09:56 AM »
I think they are likely talking about the new Marvel/Paramount deal, which covers Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 1, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Yup, Viacom's Paramount to distribute Marvel movies

Iron Man 2, May 2010; Thor, July, 2010; The First Avenger: Captain America, May, 2011; The Avengers, July, 2011; Iron Man 3, with no date announced yet.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #828 on: October 1, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Not really a "movie" I guess, but it sort of relates...

Robin - Smallville Style?

"young DJ will face challenges involving first loves, young rivals and his family as he grows up."

"Young DJ"?!?  BLEEEEEEETCHHHHHH.  Thanks for trying to **** up poor Dick Grayson ever further DC.  First, you tried to kill him during Infinite Crisis, now this?   >:(

I absolutely hate, hate, hate when DC tries to "merge" characters together...  if they want a show about a regular teenage boy before he becomes Robin, then pick the Robin that WAS a regular teenage boy before he became Robin - Tim Drake!  Ugh!

[/end fan boy rant]
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #829 on: October 1, 2008, 03:23 PM »
I don't follow which Robin is which... are they doing the one who was a carnie?

It is pretty dumb to do a superhero series about somebody who isn't a superhero and has no powers.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 1, 2008, 03:41 PM »
"young DJ will face challenges involving first loves, young rivals and his family as he grows up."

"Young DJ"?!?  BLEEEEEEETCHHHHHH.  Thanks for trying to **** up poor Dick Grayson ever further DC.  First, you tried to kill him during Infinite Crisis, now this?   >:(

I absolutely hate, hate, hate when DC tries to "merge" characters together...  if they want a show about a regular teenage boy before he becomes Robin, then pick the Robin that WAS a regular teenage boy before he became Robin - Tim Drake!  Ugh!

[/end fan boy rant]

I agree completely Jeff.  I'm a long time fan of Dick Grayson as well, and really don't like the way that DC has treated the character lately either.  Plus, I really don't see how this series would work.  As someone who has seen Smallville, and understands the liberties taken with that show even, I don't see how this would work with Dick Grayson.  At least on Smallville, Clark has "powers" and is a bit of a hero, etc.  The character of Dick Grayson wasn't anything associated with Robin/Nightwing until the tragedy and moving in with Bruce, etc.  If they go prior to that, with a happy Grayson family, and a story about "DJ" going to school - I don't see what makes this any different than any other HS based/teenage show like 90210, the O.C., and other CW-like programming.  I mean, I'd like to see the Dick Grayson character get a little more mainstream attention, but I don't think this is the way.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 1, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I really doesn't make any sense. Dick Grayson before Robin is just a normal circus kid. Is he going to stumble into crime and try to solve mysteries using his circus skills? Did Bruce Wayne even know Dick Grayson before his family was killed?

I guess the positive will be Nightwing will get better treatment.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 2, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I've read some rumors that production on "Batman 3" might be starting next year, targeting a 2011 release.  If that holds true (and other rumors as well), then we'd be lined up to see Spidey 4, Batman 3, Captain America, and the Avengers all in the summer of 2011.  I'm looking forward to all four of them, but I wonder if the box office/general public would take that many high profile comic movies in one summer.  I guess we had that this year with Iron Man, Dark Knight, Hulk and Hellboy - but it didn't seem quite as "high profile" overall.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 8, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Not necessarily a "movie", but it looks like the Avengers are getting their animated due with a new series, launching in 2011 (in time for the movie bonanza).  Hopefully it will be good.  I caught an episode or two of the 90s series on Toon Disney the last couple weeks, yikes that was bad.  Anyways, looking at the press release (and art), it looks like it will feature Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant Man, and the Wasp.  It looks like Marvel is finally stepping up the animation game with new Wolverine/X-Men and Iron Man cartoons on the way in 2009, and now Avengers in 2011.  Plus the really great Spectacular Spider-Man toon airing now, which I really enjoy.  Anyways, I'm sure these are all aimed at the kiddos, but I enjoy a good superhero cartoon now and again :).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 14, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Sounds like there could be a new James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Iron Man 2, now played by Don Cheadle.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #835 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Sounds like there could be a new James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Iron Man 2, now played by Don Cheadle.

Oh WTF !!!!!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #836 on: October 14, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Yeah, that pretty much sucks.  How much money could Terrence Howard have wanted?

Don Cheadle is a top-notch actor, but I don't think he's right for the role. 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 16, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Not necessarily a "movie", but it looks like the Avengers are getting their animated due with a new series, launching in 2011 (in time for the movie bonanza).  Hopefully it will be good.  I caught an episode or two of the 90s series on Toon Disney the last couple weeks, yikes that was bad.  Anyways, looking at the press release (and art), it looks like it will feature Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant Man, and the Wasp.  It looks like Marvel is finally stepping up the animation game with new Wolverine/X-Men and Iron Man cartoons on the way in 2009, and now Avengers in 2011.  Plus the really great Spectacular Spider-Man toon airing now, which I really enjoy.  Anyways, I'm sure these are all aimed at the kiddos, but I enjoy a good superhero cartoon now and again :).

I think its funny how all these new incarnations of the Avengers still have Captain America in them, but they killed him off in the comics over a year ago.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 16, 2008, 09:09 AM »
I think its funny how all these new incarnations of the Avengers still have Captain America in them, but they killed him off in the comics over a year ago.

Yeah, although the book has still been quite good I think - I miss Steve Rogers, and have a feeling he'll be "back" in the comics in time for his movie in 2011, if not sooner.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 16, 2008, 04:39 PM »
MTV has a short interview up with Sam Raimi, discussing Spidey 4 and 5.