Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335418 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #960 on: May 7, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm still stuck in the comic era of 1984-1996.  I'm ok with stuff that happened prior to 1984 as well, but anything post 1996 is pretty much revisionary history to me and makes no sense. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 8, 2009, 09:15 AM »
I'm kind of curious to see where the DC movies go from here as well.  They obviously can do good things with Batman, and I think Superman has potential as well with the right story (and more action).  I was happy to see Green Lantern get "greenlit" as well (no pun intended).  It is such a great character, and makes for good comic books, but it will be a whole different world bringing that character to the screen.  With other comic book movies (so far) there are of course fantastical and unbelievable elements, but really a GL movie would (or should) be based in space for a lot of it.  Most of the superhero stuff so far has been grounded, at least somewhat, and set on Earth (or one city in particular).  The scope of GL would be much greater I think.  I think of DC's other properties, GL, the Flash, and Green Arrow (and maybe WW) have the best potential to be big draws with the "non comic" audience.  It seems like maybe the general audience (which, no matter how good they are, make these comic movies money-wise) is a little more familiar with the Marvel characters at this point - and the "grounded in realism" world their comic universe has usually tried to use might make it easier to translate to the big screen.  Again, this is coming from a lifelong Marvel reader, but I have gotten more into DC the past few years and there is a lot of potential there as well it seems.  If they're going to test the non-Batman/Superman waters for films, GL is probably a good place to start.

Oh, also, there is a pic up of Downey, in IM suit, on the Iron Man 2 Set.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2009, 09:17 AM by Brian »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 8, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I guess it is all how one grew up.  I didn't even know Marvel had characters other than SpiderMan and Capt. America as a kid.  It was all Superfriends, all the time.

But again, I have the luxury of being the target audience of these studios.  I know "WHO" the characters are, per se.  I don't know every origin story so when they re-write it, I don't get flustered.

I think DC needs to jump things off with a Justice League type movie, then see which characters test well with the audience and go from there.  And I mean the original Justice League that my generation is familiar with, not the new school, Go back to when Aquaman had human hands, Dick Grayson was Robin, Hal Jordan was Green Lantern, that kind of stuff.  I'm not calling for the Wonder twins or Wunder-Mutt, just some old school characters..heck let them fight the Legion of Doom.  Just don't let the guys doing the GI Joe movie do it...

Doesn't Marvel have a character that eats entire planets?  Which "Grounded" super hero does he fight?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #963 on: May 8, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Doesn't Marvel have a character that eats entire planets?  Which "Grounded" super hero does he fight?

The Fantastic Four.   ;)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 8, 2009, 02:58 PM »

Yeah, the Fantastic Four would probably be the exception to that (as far as the movies so far have gone) - although it was for the most part still based on Earth and not in outer space (aside from the cosmic accident scenes).  I'm not saying everything in Marvel is necessarily realistic, but the movies so far have sort of taken that tone (as well as DC, although it has only been Batman/Superman so far).  I have no idea what script possibilities are out there for Green Lantern, I haven't read any, but I would guess that it would break the "earth-based" tone of comic book movies so far.  Not that it is a bad thing, or can't work, it just hasn't been tried so far really.  Heck, that may be part of the reason we didn't see a real Galactus in the 2nd F4 movie, they were scared off of it being too wacky, so we got an angry storm cloud instead.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 8, 2009, 03:16 PM »
I think DC needs to jump things off with a Justice League type movie, then see which characters test well with the audience and go from there.  And I mean the original Justice League that my generation is familiar with, not the new school, Go back to when Aquaman had human hands, Dick Grayson was Robin, Hal Jordan was Green Lantern, that kind of stuff.  I'm not calling for the Wonder twins or Wunder-Mutt, just some old school characters..heck let them fight the Legion of Doom.  Just don't let the guys doing the GI Joe movie do it...

Although I've become more familiar with the whole DCU over the past five years or so, that was my Justice League as a kid as well - essentially branching off from the Super Powers/Super Friends toyline and/or TV show.  The only DC comic I really read a lot as a kid was Batman/Detective, and I always envisioned the JLA including Superman, Batman/Robin, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, and Aquaman for the most part.  I also always liked Green Arrow, although he wasn't really on the toons I watched much back then.  I can see the point of having a recognizable JLA though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 13, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Maybe not "technically" a superhero, but I didn't want to start a new thread necessarily.  I just saw this story detailing how "Grayskull" (the new take on MOTU) has gotten a new writer.  Their description of the movie sort of concerned me though:

Warners sees the big-screen version as a gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon the magical world of Eternia. There, Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic.

Now, I've been watching some of the old school episodes lately while on the treadmill (got one of the DVD sets on Amazon for $10) - and it seems to me that "magic" is a pretty big part of the Skeletor character (not to mention some of his cronies).  I do wonder how well MOTU could translate to the screen, but if it is done, hopefully they have a better take than this.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 13, 2009, 11:46 AM »
I couldn't tell from the article whether it's going to be live action or animated.  My guess would be animated, though, if the Kung Fu Panda director is doing it.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 13, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Maybe not "technically" a superhero, but I didn't want to start a new thread necessarily.  I just saw this story detailing how "Grayskull" (the new take on MOTU) has gotten a new writer.  Their description of the movie sort of concerned me though:

Warners sees the big-screen version as a gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon the magical world of Eternia. There, Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic.

Now, I've been watching some of the old school episodes lately while on the treadmill (got one of the DVD sets on Amazon for $10) - and it seems to me that "magic" is a pretty big part of the Skeletor character (not to mention some of his cronies).  I do wonder how well MOTU could translate to the screen, but if it is done, hopefully they have a better take than this.

Wow.  You're right - that is a huge departure from the cartoon.  I haven't seen these in a long time, but it kind of seemed to me that dark magic was kind of what Skeletor was all about.  I don't get the concept of taking a franchise and completely altering it like this.  I know they're probably counting on tapping an existing fan base, but why not just call it something new and invent your own reality if you're going to change the whole concept?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #969 on: May 13, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Are we talking about G.I. Joe?  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #970 on: May 13, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Wow, I've never even watched a full ep of MOTU but even I can tell that pitch misses the whole point.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22 AM »
By the power of Grayskull... I HAVE THE POWER (to destroy this franchise!)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #972 on: May 14, 2009, 02:42 AM »
I really hope they wait until after the GI Joe movie arrives and immediately tanks before they start any serious work on MOTU. I know previous incarnations of MOTU in cartoons and movies were pretty lame, but that's all the more reason to do it right this time.

If they want to have a villain that wants to 'eradicate' magic (what does that mean exactly?) why not just have the baddie be Hordak?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #973 on: May 14, 2009, 09:23 AM »
I don't see how He-Man could be adapted into a good movie.  It's just such a silly franchise.  How do you put that on the screen for today's audience?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 14, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I don't see how He-Man could be adapted into a good movie.  It's just such a silly franchise.  How do you put that on the screen for today's audience?

Everybody wears black of course. That is the solution to all 80's franchises that become movies.