Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335404 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1050 on: April 20, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Just read on Marvelousnews.com that Stan Lee would another reboot of the Hulk.  Seriously. 

That's a terrible idea - I got around to watching The Incredible Hulk last week and thought it was a pretty crummy movie (like the first one)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 20, 2010, 01:53 PM »
I know that the Hulk is very recognizable and well-known, but I just haven't been able to get into the character by himself all that much.  I really didn't care for the first movie (with Eric Bana), but like "The Incredible Hulk" pretty well.  I don't know that I'd necessarily want or need to see a sequel, but I'm ok with Hulk being a supporting character/antagonist in the Avengers franchise or something.  I don't think a reboot is necessary either.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1052 on: April 20, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I read they're not sure Norton wants to come back.  So I'm guessing they might cast somebody new as Banner for The Avengers and then spin him off into his own Hulk film.

Neither Hulk film performed to expectations...

Hulk (2003)
Domestic Total Gross: $132,177,234
Worldwide Cume: $245,360,480     

The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Domestic Total Gross: $134,806,913
Worldwide Cume: $263,427,551
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01 PM »
I know that the Hulk is very recognizable and well-known, but I just haven't been able to get into the character by himself all that much.  I really didn't care for the first movie (with Eric Bana), but like "The Incredible Hulk" pretty well.  I don't know that I'd necessarily want or need to see a sequel, but I'm ok with Hulk being a supporting character/antagonist in the Avengers franchise or something.  I don't think a reboot is necessary either.

Agreed.  I always liked it when Hulk appeared in a comic here or there, but never had enough interest to read his standalone titles.  Really, Banner doesn't even have to appear in an Avengers movie...just the Hulk would do, so there's no casting worries.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 20, 2010, 04:18 PM »
I thought it was a bad idea to get Norton in the first place.  He's notoriously flaky, I never expected him to ever make a second appearance as Banner whether in another Hulk film or the Avengers.  

I'm with Bill, it would be better to put the Hulk in the Avengers, where they could possibly get away with a full CGI character and not bother with casting Banner, then spin Hulk off for another film and cast someone new.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 20, 2010, 05:14 PM »
The problem with the Hulk is that you cannot get more than one movie out of him - unless, of course, you keep rebooting it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:14 PM by ruiner »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21 PM »

Would make a good story to introduce either an Avengers movie or another Wolverine title.  I loved that issue...I may go dig it out of the boxes in the garage.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 21, 2010, 01:27 AM »
Agreed - the Hulk vs. Wolvie story would make a great flick IMO.  Nice wat to keep both franchises alive as well.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1058 on: April 21, 2010, 02:42 AM »
I thought the Ed Norton Hulk was a great movie.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1060 on: April 22, 2010, 04:46 PM »
Dazzler was hot when I was like 11...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 22, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Dazzler?  You know how this goes; Disney buys Marvel and immediatly looks for a way to leverage "Band Camp" and/or "High School Musical" and their respective stars as characters from this new Universe they have access to.

Step 1: Dye Vanessa Hudgens' hair blonde and bam, Dazzler.  Now you have a Disney friendly superhero built around one of their own stars with name recognition in the 12-17 y/o female demo that's part of Disney's bread and butter.  Bonus points for snagging "Wizards of Waverly Place" fans. 

Step 2: Market the **** out of it.
Step 3: Profit.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 23, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Marvel to make movies of Dr. Strange, Luke Cage...the Dazzler??

Wow, those all sound awful.  They're going to overdo the superhero genre.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 23, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Yeah, I don't know if we necessarily need to see movies of all of these characters - but I could see doing a few of these "lower tier" type characters/movies.  I know there have been rumors of a Dr. Strange movie for awhile now, and I could see something like that.  It obviously isn't likely to be a big summer blockbuster type of movie, but maybe a niche film.  I saw a recommendation one time for Johnny Depp as Steven Strange, and that might be cool.

As far as the other characters go, it depends on how obscure they are going to get.  In the case of a character like Iron Man, he might not have been very well known by the general public prior to the movie, and now he's pretty much "A list".  I think characters like that have the potential to be "big", but others will likely stay second tier no matter how good the movie is.  I could see movies on characters like Strange, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Black Panther, etc....but Dazzler might be getting a little too out there.  There is a lot of potential there, if done right though.  I know reboots are the "hot thing" right now, and often unnecessary, but I wouldn't mind seeing things like Daredevil and Fantastic Four get another take.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 23, 2010, 03:38 PM »
I would like to see Marvel/Disney take another shot at Daredevil.  Don't reboot it, just cast a new lead and do a new storyline. 

F4 on the other hand, I liked the cast well enough, I just didn't really care for either storyline.  F4 seemed rushed and the Surfer film...eh, I don't know.  It was just off.  I didn't hate either film, I just didn't feel like either really hit all the marks like Spider-Man did.  New cast or not, again I don't think they need a complete origin story reboot, they just need a better plot.

I still think the F4 films did one thing right; Thing was a guy in a rubber suit and not all CGI.  Way better performane IMO, than a CGI character like Hulk.

E...