Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335400 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1065 on: April 23, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Now that Johnny Storm is Captain America, it'd be tough to go with the original FF cast.

I never thought Reed seemed mature or intelligent enough.  He just seemed awkward, where he should have come across as so astonishingly brilliant that he's above everyone else.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 23, 2010, 03:56 PM »
I like the assets already developed or on the way:

Captain America
Iron Man series
Thor
Avengers
Wolverine
X-Men (I really thought all three movies were okay)
Deadpool
Spiderman

These are some of their most popular comics and I think they translate well to the big screen.  Dr. Strange with Johnny Depp is much more appealing, but I never got into the whole mysticism thing.  Punisher, Hulk, Daredevil, and even the old FF are fairly booring IMHO.  I think you could build much on much more interesting B-List characters.  I'd love to something along the lines of these versus redo's of Hulk, FF, Daredevil, etc.:

- New Mutants: Cannonball, Magik, Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Magma? Awesome characters.  They can tie in cameos to X-Men or even model it off Heroes with these kids coming into their abilities at a young age.  A great way to keep the X-Men franchise alive.

- Hawkeye: A bad-ass archer with trick arrows and a cocky attitude?  This seems like an easy recipe for success to me.  Just a question of whether Marvel will get to it before DC releases a Green Arrow flick.

- Ant Man/Goliath/Hank Pym: Here you have a character that is a brilliant scientist, can shrink down to the size of a bug or grow ten times the size of a normal man.  He can fly, control ants, and shoot blasts out of his hands.  Character flaws galore and an idea story in creating Ultron as a faux baddie that turns out to be one of the Avengers greatest nemesises.  Lots of possiblities here and a great set up for character redemption.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 23, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Bill's right, I forgot they cast Evans as Cap, he's not likely to return to Johnny Storm.  You also mentioned something that Joe K. said about the franchise, only he was referring to Doom, in that in the comics he's so superior to everyone else, arrogant, that he'd never conceive of losing a battle.  But that didn't translate into the film either.

I haven't seen the second Punisher film, I only saw the Patrick Jane film (well, and the Lundgren film, but that doesn't count), but couldn't understand how they ruined an otherwise basic theme.  Denzel's Man on Fire is what a Punisher film should have looked like, not a guy carrying around a fake fire hydrant and slapping a dude in the back with a popsicle.

Mainly, that's all just bad writing as much as it is bad acting, though. 

I'm actually not sure why DC hasn't leveraged Green Arrow into a film.  I think that's something that could translate well.  Hawkeye also, but Green Arrow I think, at least with my friends, has a higher profile.  There's plenty of drama in and out of the costume to be told there...and they could even steal some of the thunder created by the Batman films where Superman, for example, couldn't.

Plus, where the hell is our Wonder Woman film?  Hot amazon chick in a skimpy outfit?  That wins on so many levels it's ridiculous.

I also think that Dr. Strange could be a cool movie.  I don't know what his rogues gallery looks like, but that would seem to be one of those comic book movies that people would go and see without ever realizing it was a comic book movie.  Like Blade or Whiteout or 30 Days of Night...

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 24, 2010, 01:11 AM »
Marvel to make movies of Dr. Strange, Luke Cage...the Dazzler??

Wow, those all sound awful.  They're going to overdo the superhero genre.

There are no new ideas in Hollywood.  But there are 50+ years of ideas in the comic books.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 24, 2010, 11:07 AM »
When I mentioned not minding reboots of Fantastic Four and/or Daredevil, I didn't mean I needed to see the origin stories again either.  I think that anything that gets "rebooted" at this point should just incorporate the origins into the opening or something, similar to the last Hulk film.  I actually hope that is what they do with Spidey when the new franchise gets going as well.  For Spidey, Batman, Superman, etc. I think we all know how it went down at this point - even the "general" movie going public knows those origin stories.

I'm really looking forward to see what the Green Lantern movie is going to be like, but otherwise it seems like Warner Bros/DC has really been lagging in getting some of these heroes on the big screen.  Hopefully with guys like Geoff Johns in a more active role in that side of things, we'll see more develop in the coming years.  I know we've heard (and continue to hear) off and on rumors about things like Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, etc. and it would be nice to see things like that pan out.  I really think a good property to push out there now - with such a focus on "younger" heroes/castings - would be a Teen Titans movie.  If done well, you could really draw in an audience of all ages.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 24, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Teen Titans would be interesting as well, though I'm betting we'd see New Mutants before TT based on MArvel's track record vs. DC's. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 30, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Also, the trailer for Jonah Hex is up as well.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: April 30, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Jonah Hex looks sweet!  ;D

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1073 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17 PM »
The reviews I've read for Hex have been less than stellar.  Lots of comparisons to Will Smith's "Wild Wild West."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 30, 2010, 01:38 PM »
That was Salma Hayek's "Wild Wild West" or was that Kevin Kline's "Wild Wild West".  :P

Who gives a **** about the reviews & if it has comparison, so do other movies. If it looks good & if it's what you like then see it, if not then too bad. You are your own reviewer.  ;)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1075 on: April 30, 2010, 02:36 PM »
Giant Robot Spider's Wild Wild West.   :P

I never planned to see it... just trying to pass along some caution.  There have been many trailers that made many very bad movies look good.  So I tend to let Rotten Tomatoes guide me.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 30, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Giant Robot Spider's Wild Wild West.   :P

Mini Robot Spiders... Runaway 1984 & Giant Robot Scorpion... Robot Jox 1990.  :-*

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 1, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I love that we finally got a movie before you guys.
Iron Man 2 was awesome!!!!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 1, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Interesting news about Batman 3. Notice how it comes out 2 months after Avengers, yet will pretty much be going head to head with the Spidey reboot. Good decision there by WB, IMO, especially if they're going to redo Spidey's origin.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 5, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Update to the info above, Vaughn is now officially confirmed as X-Men: First Class director, and the release date has already been set for June 3, 2011.  The next couple years are going to be crazy for superhero movies, if the release dates hold:

Thor
X-Men: First Class
Green Lantern
Captain America

The Avengers
Spider-Man
Batman 3

Not to mention other things on the way in the next couple years: Transformers 3, G.I. Joe 2, Star Trek 2, a couple Harry Potters, and more.