Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335356 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1110 on: May 22, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but this has got to be one of the best movie figure I've ever seen...

I'd prefer the backseat of a car outfit change one...

heh heh, I TOTALLY agree. Or even the lingerie model version...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57 PM »
I saw IM2 on Friday.  As an Iron Man fan for almost 30 years I have to say I thought it rocked.  Just about as good as the first.  Plenty of action and yeah, they brought in some more characters, but they were all great.  Hammer was fantastic - Rockwell did a fantastic job breathing life in Stark's main competition.  Loved the extra scene at the end too, though I'm a little bothered that they put it at the very end when 80% of the audience has left.  Fury was kind of a big deal in this one, so if you missed the final scene from IM2, you might be wondering who the heck he is. 

As for the Avengers, it would be great to see Ultron as the core villian and that's who I have my money on.  The Loki/Hulk bit is more true to form, but the Pym/Ultron story is far more interesting and lots of ways they could play it.  Also a nice way to bring Pym (and hopefully Janet) into the mix, since they won't have their own titles ahead of time. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 27, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Rumored five candidates to play Spidey in the upcoming movie (pics/names at the linky).  Who knows if this is true, because we saw all of those Cap lists, and then Chris Evans came out of nowhere and got that role.  I don't really know any of these guys on the Spidey list very well, but if it comes down to one of these guys - with the direction they are going now (younger/High School)- I think I'd like to see Hutcherson get it.  He's got a good Parker look, and I think he's only like 17 or something.  If they are going the HS route, I don't want a 27 year old playing him.  I also think he's the only one (aside from the one who played young Tom Riddle) that I've even seen in a movie.

Other Superhero-related news.... apparently Cartoon Network/WB are planning a Green Lantern: The Animated Series show as well.  It isn't scheduled for release until two years after next year's movie, but still cool.  Personally, I really hope this is in the "DCAU" world, as I really enjoy all of those shows (and hopefully get Timm, etc. to work on it).  In other news, it sounds like they are shooting for "holiday 2012" for the next Superman movie, and are close to greenlighting "the Flash" soon as well.  Adding Supes to 2012, we'd have Avengers, Spidey, Batman, and Superman in the same year so far.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:58 PM by Brian »

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 28, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Rumored five candidates to play Spidey in the upcoming movie (pics/names at the linky).  Who knows if this is true, because we saw all of those Cap lists, and then Chris Evans came out of nowhere and got that role.  I don't really know any of these guys on the Spidey list very well, but if it comes down to one of these guys - with the direction they are going now (younger/High School)- I think I'd like to see Hutcherson get it.  He's got a good Parker look, and I think he's only like 17 or something.  If they are going the HS route, I don't want a 27 year old playing him.  I also think he's the only one (aside from the one who played young Tom Riddle) that I've even seen in a movie.

Other Superhero-related news.... apparently Cartoon Network/WB are planning a Green Lantern: The Animated Series show as well.  It isn't scheduled for release until two years after next year's movie, but still cool.  Personally, I really hope this is in the "DCAU" world, as I really enjoy all of those shows (and hopefully get Timm, etc. to work on it).  In other news, it sounds like they are shooting for "holiday 2012" for the next Superman movie, and are close to greenlighting "the Flash" soon as well.  Adding Supes to 2012, we'd have Avengers, Spidey, Batman, and Superman in the same year so far.
2012 sounds like an awesome movie year

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 4, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I've been really enjoying the new Marvel Movies as they lead up to the Avengers.  Although I'm going admit as I'm not a follower of the comics, I'm having a hard time envisioning you can merge the Norse Mythology and Norse gods into a superhero.  I guess its not all that different than someone like Superman coming from another planet and having super-human abilities but I still find the whole concept of using a punished God as a superhero kind of strange.  Then again, superhero movies all require a significant leap of faith, eh?

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 16, 2010, 12:04 AM »
The thing I always find funny is how they say the original comics outfits (colored spandex etc.) would look goofy in live action, and then come up with outfits that are pretty goofy looking anyway. I often wonder though, if someone went with a perfect comic to screen representation of a comic costume (lets go with Wolverine and his bright yellow spandex.) but the story and acting we're brilliant, could an audience get past the silly looking costume and get into the film? I know they'll never take a chance like that, but I'd love to see it someday, just to know if it can be done and be taken seriously.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1116 on: July 16, 2010, 09:18 AM »
The thing I always find funny is how they say the original comics outfits (colored spandex etc.) would look goofy in live action, and then come up with outfits that are pretty goofy looking anyway. I often wonder though, if someone went with a perfect comic to screen representation of a comic costume (lets go with Wolverine and his bright yellow spandex.) but the story and acting we're brilliant, could an audience get past the silly looking costume and get into the film? I know they'll never take a chance like that, but I'd love to see it someday, just to know if it can be done and be taken seriously.

Spider-Man's movie costume was flawless, and a perfect representation of the bright, goofy one in the comics.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Yeah, it seems like fan reaction is often pretty mixed (or negative) to the "first pics" of the individual heroes.  Off the top of my head, the only ones I can remember getting an overly positive reaction would be Spider-Man (which is about perfect I think), Iron Man, and possibly Batman.

Like others have said, I usually wait until we see some more pics - or the costume in action - before I judge too harshly.  I'm ok with some changes, as long as they don't get too wacky.  Like Bill said, I think the Spidey movie costume was perfect - and it is something I really hope they keep (or at least keep close to) in the upcoming reboot.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 16, 2010, 12:25 PM »
I don't know how I can be so in love with all things Marvel, and have such an aversion to DC.  But as of right now I do not even plan to see Green Lantern.

On the collecting front, I have about 150 of the 3 3/4" Marvel figures, but zero DC figs.

I can't even really articulate why DC doesn't interest me.  It's just different.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 16, 2010, 01:36 PM »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 17, 2010, 08:20 AM »
I don't know how I can be so in love with all things Marvel, and have such an aversion to DC.  But as of right now I do not even plan to see Green Lantern.

On the collecting front, I have about 150 of the 3 3/4" Marvel figures, but zero DC figs.

I can't even really articulate why DC doesn't interest me.  It's just different.

It's exactly the same for me ... nearly word for word.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 20, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I noticed that Marvel announced signings at SDCC with Chris Evans (Cap), Hugo Weaving (Red Skull), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), and Tom Hiddleston (Loki)...as well as the directors.  Kind of cool for those who are attending.  I guess there are rumors of some Avengers announcements/reveals, and it would be kind of cool to get the whole cast together on stage if they are there.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 20, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Although they are based on concept art, it sounds like Marvel will be handing out these two one sheets at SDCC for the Cap and Thor movies.  Once again gives a better idea of Cap's look, or at least one of his looks, in the movie.  I have a feeling we might get a real reveal of the suit(s) at SDCC.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 21, 2010, 07:47 AM »
I caught Hellboy 2 and Fanboys at long last yesterday.  I bought them on DVD ages ago, but never got around to watching them. 

Hellboy 2 was really really really awful.  The Golden Army was kind of a joke, as were the baddies in general (although the tooth fairy things were kind of cool as underworld insects).  The ending was predictible throughout the last half of the movie and they could have solved the problem 20min into the movie with the same result.  I did like some of the fight scenes and it's still visually worth seeing I guess, but the plot gets a solid D from me.

Fanboys on the other hand was hilarious!  I talked my wife into watching it against her better judgement and she loved it as well.  All of the actors really got into their roles and I found my inner SW geek renewed.  Didn't hurt to have Kristen Bell along for the ride either.  The movie kept good pace and had a good mix of "what's next" and comedy at every stop.  I really liked all the surprise guest appearances too - I had no idea there were so many big names in the flick.  This one is an easy A for me.  I would definitely recommend it for anyone who loves Star Wars, and especially for those who hate trekkers.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 21, 2010, 09:18 PM »
President of DC Entertainment, Diane Nelson: "We're Not Marvel"

It sounds like with some reorganization of DC Entertainment (basically everything moving to California aside from the comic offices I think), they are doing some interviews (and going to reveal more about their movie/tv plans later this month I think).  They've basically said that they aren't "building a universe" like Marvel is doing with Iron Man, Thor, Cap and the Avengers.  It sounds like basically all their movies will be stand alone, at least that is what I read from it.  There certainly isn't anything wrong with that, but I have to admit I was sort of hoping they would eventually build towards a JLA movie, even if they had to find a new Batman to make it work.