Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335424 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1140 on: July 26, 2011, 09:43 AM »
So.....Spawn was on this morning while I was getting ready and it got me thinking.  Why no remake on that turd?

That is a great question. The movie was horrendous and in this era of every comic book getting a movie/another movie why not Spawn with a good script?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 26, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Is Spawn still popular?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37 AM »
I dunno?  Ironically enough I just found my 80+ Spawn figures I've had in storage since the beginning of time.  Never read a single comic for this guy, but I'd dig a nice dark remake.....

pissin in the wind though i guess
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 26, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Is Spawn still popular?

Was Thor ever popular?  Seemed to do ok...
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 26, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Is Spawn still popular?

Was Thor ever popular?  Seemed to do ok...

Thor/Iron Man/Cap have all really bucked the old philosophy that only Superman/Batman/Spiderman were popular enough to sell tickets.  It certainly helps to have a large, existing fan base, but it isn't necessary to have a successful movie.  I think Marvel has done a fantastic job lately of creating superhero flick with character and solid storylines, which is what mad etheir comics popular.  Iron Man's a drunk womanizer, Thor's a spoiled egomaniac in need of some humility, Captain America is a 1940's boy scout that will have to face a modern world that is not as black and white as it used to be. 

It also doesn't hurt that Marvel is using the popularity of each movie to boost the next.  If you like Iron Man, guess what, he's going to be in the Avengers with Thor, so here's a Thor movie you ought to see.  Oh you liked Thor and Iron Man, then why wouldn't you want to go see Captain America?  Good combination of cross promoting and building a solid rep for good movies, which is going to set them up nicely for man movies to come.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 26, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Now why can't Uncle George make Star Wars movies that like?

Lets have a Star Wars movie staring one character's adventure. Follow it with another character and another. Maybe the previous characters could have camos.  Finally have a movie where all the staring characters paths cross and they meet up for a common goal.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 27, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Maybe the previous characters could have camos

That's been done already...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:05 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1147 on: August 2, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Hopefully... [snip] ...it doesn't kill any potential for any non Batman/Superman DC movies (like Flash or JLA).

From the IGN review:
This was DC and Warner Bros.' best bet yet at establishing a deeper bullpen of big screen superheroes beyond Batman and Superman, but the film is bad enough to possibly kill any hope for ever seeing The Flash or Justice League.

Maybe it's not looking so bad for more DC (Flash, JLA) after all? From HeroComplex:

"Later that year or in 2014, Warner could go ahead with a second Green Lantern or Flash movie. Robinov said the studio has “a solid script” for the Scarlet Speedster. The executive also remains interested in bringing DC heroes together for a “Justice League” movie."

Not exactly "it's a go" but at least they are still talking about a Flash Movie or JLA movie...  'in development' is better than dead.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 2, 2011, 08:58 PM »
I read that today as well.  Glad to hear they are still moving forward with Flash, as well as GL.  Although Green Lantern was far from perfect, I'd definitely like to see more from that universe (particularly Hal vs. Sinestro).  The Flash is probably the hero I'd most like to see get a movie at this point of those who haven't already had one.  Plus, I think the character (maybe not the secret identity persona) is pretty recognized by the general public too, so hopefully there would be interest.  I'd really like to see a Justice League movie someday, but sort of wish WB/DC would build to it similar to what Marvel is doing with Avengers.  Not that they couldn't make a good stand alone movie, but I think they would generate a lot of interest doing it that way.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 4, 2011, 11:05 AM »

Lets have a Star Wars movie staring one character's adventure. Follow it with another character and another. Maybe the previous characters could have camos.  Finally have a movie where all the staring characters paths cross and they meet up for a common goal.

They already did this. Star Wars Origins: Luke Skywalker is known as Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: August 16, 2011, 01:31 PM »

They already did this. Star Wars Origins: Luke Skywalker is known as Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Oh no.  Symposium drank the Kool-Aid. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 16, 2011, 03:26 PM »
You lay the trap, your going to eventually catch one. >:D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 31, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Erica fit's it well, better than this one!  Plus same costume as the other...

Have to say, Erica is better in that costume than well ya know...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 3, 2012, 10:53 AM »
My main problem with some of the costumes, and not just this one, is that the comic versions that everyone loves don't necessarily work in the real world.  Not only do they not always look good, Wonder Woman, but they don't seem practical.

Wolverine in his yellow/blue/black outfit is classic, but I'm going to be honest, the leather outfit from the X-Men films was way more badass for the real world.  The Captain America outfit from the film? Liked it much better than the tights version we're getting in Avengers (at least based on the promo photos).

There are outfits that I like in the comics but when you think about what a superhero would wear in the real world in 2011 there's a big difference.  Someone not bulletproof, like Batman, is going to use rip-stop, puncture resistant and bulletproof material wherever possible, not go to Jo-Ann Fabrics and buy a bunch of spandex.  The only exception I can think of to this is Spider-Man.  I think the spandex look from the films worked.

If you look at the WW costumes pictured here, I like the idea of the leather top from the Smallville appearance, but not the actual design or the Xena skirt.  I don't mind the pants from the WW show/cameo but hate the top.  Some combo of the two would probably be where I'd like to see the costume go.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1154 on: January 3, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Wonder Woman's costume doesn't offer anything in terms of physical defense - she either dodges or deflects with her armbands.  As such, it's pretty much for brand identification and eye candy.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj