Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335352 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1245 on: February 23, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Then I gave examples where certain characters, based on their back-stories, necessarily need to be certain races.  You largely dismissed those out of ignorance.

No, you missed the point completely.  You seem to have no problem with Johnny's backstory changing from blood relative of Sue Storm to an adopted sibling or sibling-in-law.  Yet you cannot tolerate a world where several other characters could undergo a similar change in back story.  Natasha could be a while American or a Japanese spy or a black chick from Russia.  If you're willing to accept the change for Johnny, I see no difference in a change of origin for others.  Hell, is the movie version of black widow even Russian?  She sure doesn't seem it.  And yep I read the Punisher comic for years.  He is Italian, but they could rewrite that into a poor Hispanic immigrant who loses his family as well - maybe in a gangland shoot out in the South. 

Now try these on for size.  The Black Panther is a black superhero from Africa, heir to the throne of Wakanda.  What if they cast Panther as a white guy from South Africa instead?  There are plenty of whites there, so no big deal, right?  What if they made a Luke Cage movie about a poor white guy from New York who goes to prison, then redeems himself after an experimental procedure gives him steel-hard skin?  Falcon, Storm, War Machine - any issues with those characters being played by white guys? 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:12 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: February 24, 2014, 02:08 AM »
I personally just want to see them do a good Fantastic Four movie - I really don't care if they make changes to race/gender. Start it off with Reed Richards and Victoria Doom being lovers/partners for all care. Have both the Storm siblings be African-American. Ultimately who cares. If the movie has a good plot and the actors do a good job, it should be an entertaining film.

If you want to get upset about this movie - get upset about the fact that this production may end up being complete garbage because it's a rush-job to help 20th Century Fox retain Fantastic Four rights.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 24, 2014, 06:27 AM »

If you want to get upset about this movie - get upset about the fact that this production may end up being complete garbage because it's a rush-job to help 20th Century Fox retain Fantastic Four rights.

That is probably the most pertinent thing said in this whole debate.  All Fox really cares about is making sure the rights don't revert back to Marvel/Disney.  Hence why the Avengers won't be taking on Skrulls or Galactus.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Honestly, for the cost why not just sell the rights to Disney?
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 24, 2014, 07:16 AM »

So I think, unless you have some damning statement I haven't seen, you need to give the director the benefit of the doubt.  If you're not comfortable with Johnny being black for some non-racist reason, please share.

Since it sounds like you are calling me a racist, I will say it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with how the characters were created. I would have the same problem if they cast a white guy to play black panther or a white woman for storm. Not accurate to the original comics.
Precisely.  I was called out as a racist on FB this weekend over this topic.  Of course the back-pedaling that happened when I suggested Matt Damon be cast as Black Panther was laughable.

This is a publicity stunt, nothing more.  And a successful one, I might add.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: February 24, 2014, 07:27 AM »
I also found it silly that they cast Marlon Wayans for the first GI Joe film, and then chose a character that was not African-American for him to portray, as if there was some lack of characters of color in the GI Joe mythos.  These types of things annoy me.  As a child, I had a pretty full set of GI Joe figures, and I didn't segregate Alpine, Roadblock and the rest into the GI Joe version of the Tuskeegee Airmen or anything like that.  They were part of the team.  Still, I'd have been annoyed if they had cast John Cena or Stone Cold as Roadblock.

I say all the time that there are thousands of nerds in this world that these studios could tap to make a quality product without resorting to stunt-casting to get people talking.  And they'd pay these nerds far less than the wonks they pay to go: "Hmm.  Why don't we swap genders on this character?"

The success of these things START with the nerd dollar, and they have plenty of nerds hating on this before one frame of film is shot.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 24, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Honestly, for the cost why not just sell the rights to Disney?

I doubt Disney wants to pay for it.  For all the non-Disney rights Marvel properties (FF4, Spiderman, X-men, etc.) it is a use or lose it situation.  Fox, Sony, et al. have to pay the money to put out something to keep the rights, otherwise it goes back to Disney/Marvel.  If a new rushed FF4 fails, then it is quite possible Fox gives up on it and Disney gets it back for nothing as happened with Daredevil, Ghostrider, Blade, and the Punisher.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 24, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Ah, that makes sense then.  I suppose these companies are looking to sell for big bucks as well, so it's not worth Disney making any kind of purchase unless they have plans in place.  It just stinks that they can't include Skrulls or Kree factions due to licensing crap like this.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 25, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Skrulls and such would be cool.  I would bet Fox will go with Doctor Doom again.  I think the only franchise Disney would be willing to purchase would be Spiderman, but I don't see Sony letting that one go anytime soon.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 25, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Doom seems played out after the two previous FF films.  I'd actually be more interested if they went even more old school and opted for the Mole Man and his Subterraneans.  Having those giant creatures busting through from beneath the streets would be kind of cool in a Pacific Rim sort of way.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 25, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Since this new F4 movie will be a reboot it seems likely they'll go back to Doom.  Fox rebooted X-Men and went right back to Magneto as the villain so... Track record?  I'd be more than happy to see a different villain, though. 

I liked that the reboot of Spider-Man didn't go with Goblin but Lizard instead, seeing as how he was teased in two previous films.  Even though we're getting Goblin in the second...eh. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Galacticus or Skrulls would be my baddies of choice for the FF.  Would be a nice way to harass Disney - having another Marvel Superhero team take on invaders from space.  At some point it might be worth buying the license just to avoid distractions and confusion.  I'm betting the average moviegoer has no idea FF/XMen/Spiderman/Avengers are owned/produced by different companies.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: February 25, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I personally would like to see them hit the Negative Zone, because that would give us Blastaar and Annihilus. :)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 26, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Since this new F4 movie will be a reboot it seems likely they'll go back to Doom.  Fox rebooted X-Men and went right back to Magneto as the villain so... Track record?  I'd be more than happy to see a different villain, though. 

I liked that the reboot of Spider-Man didn't go with Goblin but Lizard instead, seeing as how he was teased in two previous films.  Even though we're getting Goblin in the second...eh. 

E...

Magneto didn't really emerge as the villain until the end of the movie.  Shaw was the baddy in the reboot.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Annihilus. :)

+1 , but make him look exactly like movie Ultron to totally confuse everyone.  ;D