Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335392 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1320 on: November 12, 2014, 11:03 PM »
That theory was debunked a while ago.  The number of comic readers is miniscule compared to the number of movie goers.  The analysis I saw concluded that Fox could take out a full-page ad in every issue of Fantastic Four that said "We hate you morons, don't see our movie!" and if every single FF reader obeyed those ads, they'd lose a total of $500K in box office receipts.  McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 sold 2.5 million copies, one of the highest print runs of all time.  If they all sold to distinct individuals (they didn't), and every one of them went to see a 3D, prime time feature (~ $15), that'd total $37.5 million dollars.  Guardians of the Galaxy made that in one single day.

The idea that canceling a book could hurt a movie, or that Marvel would do such a thing to that end, makes no sense whatsoever. 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 13, 2014, 10:02 AM »
It's not about promotional tie-ins with the comics in an effort to generate book sales.  The arguments that I've seen laid out are about the focus of stories surrounding Marvel comics as a whole, as well as characters.  The stories and characters are proving to be far more valuable when translated into a feature film than the sales of any comic book title.  Concepts like the ownership and control of characters and stories have far more reach.  Those go into the books, movies, cartoons, licensed merchandise, video games and more.  To that end I can see Marvel taking the standpoint that the characters they own completely should be the focus of their businesses across a wide front.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:23 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 13, 2014, 04:18 PM »
I'm sure that Disney via Marvel gets some cut of the pie when Fox or Sony releases a Marvel film, even if it isn't officially under the Marvel Studios banner.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 14, 2014, 06:31 AM »
The other thing to remember is Disney/Marvel still own all the non-movie rights to the characters.  If people are still going to buy X-Men, F4, and Spiderman comics, it would only cost Marvel money to not put them out.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 14, 2014, 11:12 AM »
The other thing to remember is Disney/Marvel still own all the non-movie rights to the characters.  If people are still going to buy X-Men, F4, and Spiderman comics, it would only cost Marvel money to not put them out.
...and toys, t-shirts, mugs, and other associated chotchkies...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1325 on: November 14, 2014, 12:50 PM »
The FF reboot just keeps on giving...  meet Victor Domashev, anti-social programmer; aka "Doom" on the internet.

My FF loving pal has already sworn off this flick with the casting changes made to Marvel's "first family", can't wait to hear his 45 minute tirade on how changing Victor Von Doom is the new worst thing they can possibly do to the movie... ;)

This thing has sounded like  joke from the start. Not one thing that has been mentioned has sounded good.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 6, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Rumors seem to be circulating about the casting of Captain Marvel / Carol Danvers. One name that's been popping up?  Emily Blunt. Marvel Studios seems to like her. And she was strongly considered for the role of the Black Widow, and reportedly turned it down because of scheduling issues.  She also was rumored to be up for the role of Peggy Carter in Captain America - The First Avenger
« Last Edit: January 6, 2015, 05:32 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 6, 2015, 11:40 PM »
I'd be up for some Emily Blunt.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 7, 2015, 02:46 AM »
Marvel’s Ant-Man Delivers a Trailer to Astonish!

I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical that they could pull off an Ant-Man solo movie, but that looks pretty good so far.  It's weird that they're going with Scott Lang as the hero and Hank Pym as the inventor, but it's an interesting take.  Hayley Atwell is supposedly in the film reprising her Peggy Carter role, so maybe Douglas/Pym is the original Ant-Man from an earlier age (WWII tie to Cap?), but now wants to pass the mantle on to Lang.  Only thing I don't like so far is the casting credit of Evangeline Lilly as "Hope" Van Dyne...what was wrong with Janet?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1330 on: January 7, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Janet is a great-aunt's name.   8)

Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 7, 2015, 11:57 AM »
I don't give a **** what her name is as long as she shows up in a skintight costume.  I've had the hots for Evangeline since Lost.  Pretty awkward during the last two Hobbit films where I got wood because she was dressed as an elf.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 7, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation for the whole Hank / Janet / Hope lineage.  And if they go back through the years, I'm sure that a link to SHIELD is in there, too.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 7, 2015, 04:10 PM »
I don't give a **** what her name is as long as she shows up in a skintight costume.  I've had the hots for Evangeline since Lost.  Pretty awkward during the last two Hobbit films where I got wood because she was dressed as an elf.

;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.