Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335396 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1365 on: August 5, 2015, 01:28 PM »
Ah - I don't think that's how they explained it in the movie.  But I'll roll with it.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 5, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Thanks guys, I stand corrected. I was thinking in terms of a repetitive device that becomes significant ultimately. More of a Hitchcock thing I guess.

I forgot to mention I loved the cameo by the Mad Men guy.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 6, 2015, 12:08 AM »
Ah - I don't think that's how they explained it in the movie.  But I'll roll with it.

I don't recall how it was phrased in the movie, but I'm pretty sure they didn't talk about another dimension.  Still, it's as plausible as anything in the realm of superheroes I guess.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1368 on: August 6, 2015, 12:17 AM »

I think it's my new default rule for superhero movies.

- How did Batman get that bomb so far out of Gotham in time in TDKR?  He used speed from the Kosmos Dimension!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 8, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Saw the Fantastic Four reboot last night. Was not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it wasn't good either. Definitely left me at the end thinking "that's it?!?"

If you were even thinking about giving this movie a chance, don't, save your money, watch it when it comes to cable and had such a cheap cable deal that one of the HBO channels is practically running it on repeat.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 8, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Saw the Fantastic Four reboot last night. Was not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it wasn't good either. Definitely left me at the end thinking "that's it?!?"

If you were even thinking about giving this movie a chance, don't, save your money, watch it when it comes to cable and had such a cheap cable deal that one of the HBO channels is practically running it on repeat.
Why do fantastic four movies do so poor?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 8, 2015, 11:47 AM »
In this case it seems like director Josh Trank may have been in over his head.  Word is that the studio stepped in to salvage the movie because they lost confidence in Trank and his vision.  Trank was characterized as "eratic", "isolated" and "uncommunicative".  Multiple sources on the project got the sense that Trank was not offering them clear direction, despite their impressions that he is a very talented filmmaker.  Josh Trank, or perhaps his dogs, was also accused of $100,000 in damages to the rental property where he was living while FF was in it's principal photography stages.

That THR article also states that producers Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker had to step in to help pull the film together.  And it's very likely that given Kinberg's close association with the new Star Wars regime and his experience with Josh Trank on this Fantastic Four project, that is why Josh Trank was pulled off of the second Star Wars anthology film.

In the meantime, Josh Trank is being petulant.  He posted to Twitter that he had a fantastic vision for the FF film, but unfortunately people won't see that.  He quickly deleted that tweet, but basically accused Fox of meddling in the process.  But looking at this from an outside perspective it seems as though Josh Trank wasn't prepared to step up to direct as big of a project as this FF reboot with a clear, defined vision.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2015, 11:53 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 8, 2015, 04:33 PM »
It will always fail as long as these dopes keep trying to drag the story into present day. It is at its essence a period piece, a Cold War fable that is out of place in any other time. I have always said this should be done like Cap America 1, true to its roots. Like Mad Men meets the Avengers.

And stop screwing with the core dynamics of the team and every other little thing you can find to tweak. (Like the costumes, always the worst costumes) do it like you actually respect the source material.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 8, 2015, 06:00 PM »
It will always fail as long as these dopes keep trying to drag the story into present day. It is at its essence a period piece, a Cold War fable that is out of place in any other time. I have always said this should be done like Cap America 1, true to its roots. Like Mad Men meets the Avengers.

And stop screwing with the core dynamics of the team and every other little thing you can find to tweak. (Like the costumes, always the worst costumes) do it like you actually respect the source material.

+1  I was mostly put off by the character changes.  The guy playing Reed looks like a teenager, Sue looks slutty/confused, and Johnny's not black.  I don't mind them trying to modernize is, but if you're going to change the character dynamics, looks, and story then just call it something else.  I honestly think this particular film would have been better if they kept the storyline, but made the characters and name something else. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 8, 2015, 10:21 PM »

It's funny that you say that.  A friend of mine said very much the same thing about doing the FF in a 1960's setting.  And he even thought that Jon Hamm might make a good Reed Richards.  I think that throwback sensibility worked for X-Men: First Class as well as Captain America - The First Avenger.  The only possible point of confusion with doing the FF that way might be if it eventually got included in the broader MCU, and how you might explain something like that away.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 8, 2015, 10:39 PM »
In the meantime, Josh Trank is being petulant.  He posted to Twitter that he had a fantastic vision for the FF film, but unfortunately people won't see that.  He quickly deleted that tweet, but basically accused Fox of meddling in the process.  But looking at this from an outside perspective it seems as though Josh Trank wasn't prepared to step up to direct as big of a project as this FF reboot with a clear, defined vision.

Trank committed career suicide with that tweet. You just don't act like an ungrateful a-hole on world wide public news feeds like that.

+1  I was mostly put off by the character changes.  The guy playing Reed looks like a teenager, Sue looks slutty/confused, and Johnny's not black. 

My eight year old loves the Fantastic Four but said the same thing about the new team when  we say it today. His favorite character is Johnny Storm but said he didn't look like Storm in this movie because he didn't look like Captain America. I have to agree Chris Evens did a much better job in the role. Why did they have to CG up the Thing? He was much better in a non CG suit before. The story was bad and the editing and direction was confusing. The last too FF movies had better talent but needed better stories. This one had nothing to like.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 9, 2015, 07:44 AM »
One word review?  Dull. There was almost no characterization in this and they clearly blew the bank on The Thing and Torch effects (Torch effect was the one shining part of this movie).

Doom was a pile of garbage. Just awful. I could go on and on and on (just ask my wife) about how they screwed this up. This should be a cautionary tale that making changes for the sake of making changes is a bad idea. Respect the source.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 9, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I don't know - they modernized Iron Man's story and that movie was great.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1378 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03 AM »
They also changed Thor significantly from its original Marvel roots.  No crippled doctor tapping a stick.

I think the reason they keep failing with FF is because they can't nail Reed.  The Thing is easy.  Johnny Storm is very easy.  Sue is difficult to give much weight to, but a "strong woman" angle shouldn't be too difficult.  But Reed they keep screwing up badly.  He is the smartest man in the world, and he knows it.  He needs to be written as a patriarch.  A leader.  A beacon.  Instead he's written as wishy-washy and unconfident.  Awkward.  Maybe they're trying for the hero's journey kind of thing, and maybe it's origin-itis.  But I gotta think when Reed first strapped into his rocket, he was feeling like a god.  Not some dork who gets flustered around the ladies.

Also, when you cast a guy who looks like a high schooler in the role, it's difficult to accept that he has the gravitas of the smartest man in the world.

Reed should be Stark without the snark.  A living legend.  That might not jive with current sensibilities, but I think that's what you need to pull off the FF - a leader who the rest of the team respects and follows.

And of course, Doom needs to be the monarch of Latveria.  How hard is that to understand?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 10, 2015, 09:19 AM »
I think you're right about Reed. He has been the most off across all of the incarnations.  It's like Hollywood can't figure out that a brainy guy doesn't have to be socially awkward.  I mean, he does get Sue to marry him right???  Unfortunately it's been done so many times that I think the FF will have to wait a very long time for even a chance at another reboot.  Sounds like opening weekend was only like $26mil.  Hopefully that sends a message to Hollywood not to take so many liberties with the characters.