Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335378 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1380 on: August 10, 2015, 09:23 AM »
or to use a better tested director.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 10, 2015, 09:31 AM »
or to use a better tested director.

I think that's the key here.  The source material is rich, without a doubt.  But I think this was a case of the studio not doing it's due dilligence when they sought out a director.  It's one thing to believe in the talent of young filmmakers and to give them a chance to do something great.  But when you're talking about a film with a budget of over $100 million, there's something to be said for experience and a proven track record.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 10, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Yeah, Reed should be older than the rest of them too, except for maybe Ben. He's a tweed jacket pipe smoking guy with grey sideburns the first time you ever even see him. There's a reason Ben always calls him "high pockets". He's conservative, older and uptight...the Mr Ward Cleaver of super heroes.

And Sue is straight up Doris Day. Sally Q Whitebread all the way.

If they think people can't relate to that, just pick another group.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 10, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I just finished watching the Fantastic Bore online. What a piece off crap!   ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 10, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Yeah, Reed should be older than the rest of them too, except for maybe Ben. He's a tweed jacket pipe smoking guy with grey sideburns the first time you ever even see him. There's a reason Ben always calls him "high pockets". He's conservative, older and uptight...the Mr Ward Cleaver of super heroes.

I think Reed Richards early characterization was more of a charicature of a college professor / PhD / research scientist circa the early 1960's.  Basically an even brainier and work obsessed version of the archetype played by the Professor on Gilligan's Island.  But that particular take on uber genius is pretty dated.

I think the first FF films for Fox captured some of the character essence, but I think that they probably could have benefitted from some star power for the Reed Richards role, and perhaps one of the other roles.  I won't even get into the nonsense of Galactus being realized as a giant cloud since that was just ridiculous, and that second FF film could have been better with a different script.

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 11, 2015, 09:18 AM »
I won't even get into the nonsense of Galactus being realized as a giant cloud since that was just ridiculous, and that second FF film could have been better with a different script.

You mean a giant guy with big boots and a huge hat isn't ridiculous enough?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:21 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46 AM »
The Galactus costume is a product of it's times.  And regarding costumes over a range of comics there was a perfect line from Cyclops in that first X-Men film: "What, do you expect us to run around in yellow spandex?"

But to think that lifeforms should be limited to a size that's similar to that of humankind is, pardon the pun, small thinking.  Especially when some of the discoveries of the Kepler telescope have revealed exoplanets in the so-called "Goldilocks zone" around distant stars that might support life yet are far larger than the Earth.  Exobiologists have theorized the possibility that some alien species could be far larger than humans.  Are they likely to look exactly like humans but stand over 100 feet tall?  Probably not.  But that possibility of life existing at a far larger scale than humans is an interesting concept.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 11, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Nothing designed by Jack King Kirby is ridiculous.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 11, 2015, 10:35 AM »
You mean a giant guy with big boots and a huge hat isn't ridiculous enough?

Big Boots?  Wouldn't a giant guy with little boots be even more ridiculous?

#galacticusrules
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1389 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Eh - Galactus is only 30' tall.  Makes you wonder why he needs to eat so much.

Though I never really bought the official Marvel specs on his height.  He's routinely depicted with Silver Surfer in his hand, about the size of an action figure.  That'd make Galactus almost 4 times as tall.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 11, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I love FF, but won't bother seeing this version.  I am getting tired of the antagonistic government angle that gets too played up (works for X-Men; FF not so much).  From what I've heard and read about Trank's FF, the government locks down the team or something.  The government doesn't need to be the antagonist, much less the villain.  That's why you've got Dr. Doom.  His inclusion as little more than an undeveloped afterthought, while the FBI locks up Reed and whatever else is just stupid. 

Regarding Galactus, remember that's not what Galactus really looks like; it's what our puny mortal minds are capable of conceiving him to be.

And at least he doesn't look as ridiculous as he looked back when human beings couldn't conceive of him with long sleeves and pants:

"Really?  Sorry."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 14, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Seeing "Ant Man" tonight. This will be the first "Comic Super Hero" movie I've ever initiated being willing to pay money to go see in the theater (I probably would have with "Guardians of the Galaxy", but just waited for Blu Ray). Fingers crossed. I'm counting on all of your opinions.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 14, 2015, 02:40 PM »
meh....I like Paul Rudd but meh...Last portion of the movie was okay at least.  I guess there's 2 clips at the end.  I left after the 1st one not knowing.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 14, 2015, 04:10 PM »
I thought it was awesome.  The first bonus scene is mid way through the credits, but you have to stay to the very end to see the last one, which was totally worth it if you're following what's next for Marvel.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1394 on: August 15, 2015, 07:28 AM »
Seeing "Ant Man" tonight. This will be the first "Comic Super Hero" movie I've ever initiated being willing to pay money to go see in the theater (I probably would have with "Guardians of the Galaxy", but just waited for Blu Ray). Fingers crossed. I'm counting on all of your opinions.

So how'd you like it?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj