Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Legos
« Reply #45 on: September 9, 2011, 03:37 AM »
It was the first thing I thought of when I first bought a mini figure...  I feel it's fair game, but maybe I'm just devious.  If they don't want people doing that they need to box them then I guess. :)  Then people will be guessing weight or something, haha.

The only problem with it is like standing around squeezing the Charmin...  If Mr. Wimple sees you, he'll bitch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 9, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I've used the feel method on the this set since they made it harder than looking at the UPC codes.  The dot codes work, sort of, and helped me score two extra Dwarf figures, but after I narrowed down a couple packs that had thick enough accessories.

But, yeah, I was in Walmart sorting through them and after a little while I got the thought that I looked pretty shady feeling them up at the end of the Lego aisle.  Target just stocked them but I resisted the urge to spend too much time on them...their toy aisle is always more busy anyway.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2011, 02:21 AM »
I figure creepy-be-damned.  I try now to get all I want in one swoop though, to limit my creepy behavior in the toy aisle.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2011, 03:31 PM »
The whole "dot code" thing on the packaging is really difficult on my eyes, so I've gone back to the Mr. Whipple-ire-inducing method of squeezing the packaging (thanks for reminding me of that commercial, Jesse).  So far, I've been able to get all but one of the minifigures using the feel-around method.

The easiest ones for me to locate in this latest series are Cleopatra (due to the fact that her lower body is an angular brick as opposed to legs) and the Palace Guard (due to the big, textured hat).

Oh, and in case nobody's noticed it yet, the Boxer has a reversible head (the first for the minifigure series, I believe) with a "happy" side and an "I just got the brick kicked out of me" side with a bruised eye. :)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2011, 01:17 AM »
Picked up a Royal Guard and a Gladiator today at Target.  They were pretty easy to pick out once I had them in my had.  Would like to score another RG and if I could happen into them, a couple more Dwarves. 

I have a Zoo Keeper that I'm not really interested in and would be willing to trade for another Royal Guard or possibly something from an earlier series if anyone is interested.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 11:54 AM »
This is funny, I too stand in the aisle and use the whipple method to figure out what's what. I usually start to draw a crowd and after I walk away from the display they usually gather around it and start picking them up too. Once I had a guy come over, ask me what I was doing and ask if I could find him a spartan. He was shocked with how fast I found him one. I blame that on luck and the fact it was a new and pretty full display. I haven't started on the new series of these yet, I still need some from series 1.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Yeah, me too C.  I need a few from the first couple series actually, and don't really even know what all was in those series.  Was there a Scottish warrior?  I really want that!  I want the Orc to go with the Elf from the orange packaged ones.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Just randomly grabbed 2 sets when I was picking up some stuff at 5 Below, and got another Lizard man, and the Eskimo.  Cool I guess.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 11:21 AM »
my son has started buying these with his allowance money from his chores.  He has me doing the squeeze method for him.  The first round we 1 Lizard and 2 Eskimos (1 was a surprise - thought I had something else - dont know how the fishing pole slipped past me).  Last night we went back for some more at TRU to take advantage of the buy 2 get 1 special plus a one day only $5 off coupon I had.  We went aiming to get one for my son and one for my daughter (4 year old) who now likes them too.  I was able to find for her the pink boombox chick and for my son the snow boarder. 

We also got more for Christmas stocking stuffers, 1 gladiator, 1 Dwarf, 1 Zoo Keeper with monkey, and 1 extra snowboarder (again this one somehow slipped by me and I didn't realize til we got home).  I didn't open the extra and I will probably exchange it at a later date for a different one.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53 PM »
I found my second Royal Guard last night so I don't think I'll bother looking for any more.  I actually need to go back to a couple previous waves and see if there are any I skipped that I want to go back for.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Are there any places still carrying the previous couple waves.  Orange package ones are as far back as i see (with the LOTR type elf).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2011, 01:06 AM »
I don't have access to TRU very often but you may be able to find some there in an out of the way store, maybe.  The other place that seems to get these some times are stores like Michaels and AC Moore.  They may get shopped less often by collectors so you could try there, or a Ben Franklin or Hobby Lobby maybe...similar stores.

E...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Ok guys we have a problem.   

My son just discovered "Legos".  He is 3. We skipped duplo and went straight to mini-figs. 

This means I am now 4 waves behind and playing catch up. 

I am willing to buy any extras anyone has.  I am also going to buy a couple cases of earlier waves and we can do a giveaway after I get a complete set. ( I know this is not the classified section, but I asked the site owner for permission and after paying a fee, got a variance this time)

I was at the Toys R Us getting Wave 4 and 5 using the Braile method when the Guest relations person stops by and asks bow successful I am with that method. I told her I was kinda new to it, but could tell certain figures pretty good.  She said to stay where I was was and returned with a guide to determine which figures are in the package by reading the dots along the bottom fused edge.   I have not had a chance to google it, but once I find it I will post it here.   

Do Legos ever go on clearance?  Are they ever at Big Lots/Ross type stores?  At this point my son doesn't want particular sets, I just thought I'd snag some cheap ones.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2011, 11:02 AM »
I don't do the blind bag mini-figs, but yes I have seen various Atlantis/SW/other misc LEGO building sets at TJmaxx, Marshalls, and Tuesday Morning.  No Ross around here, but I'd imagine they get them in as well from time to time.

Oh and Target does a pretty good job 2-3 times a year at clearancing older various LEGO sets out.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2011, 11:39 PM »
The "Freeco Speeder" is on the clearance aisle at my WM right now paul...  I see clearances on Legos a lot.

Lego also ALWAYS runs sales.  Always.  B1G1 50% off happens fairly often, 25% off fairly often, etc., etc.

As far as these older figures go, good luck man.  I really want some of them too. :(

I'm actually all in on these upcoming somewhat similar Star Wars sets with a miniship & figure in a planet package.  I'm alla bout that stuff.

Also now really want the mini Droid Fighter that's apparantly showing up at TRU courtesy of a post from ImperialHolocron.com I read on Twitter.

I got the AAT at Target yesterday, and I love mini vehicles, mini figures, and figure that's all I can afford, haha.

I have some old Lego SW sets I should sell off...  All complete.  Loved them, but I should probabyl move on from the big sets now all together, and just weed it down to mini figs and the mini ships, and mostly just SW stuff and the odd blind pack fig.

These are toy crack...  Cheap (relatively, these days), and addictive...  I'm pretty much hooked just so long as I keep avoiding buying Hasbro stuff I'm wishy washy on, or just want one figure from a set of 3 or something.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:40 PM by Jesse James »