Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110129 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #180 on: April 6, 2005, 09:53 PM »
I don't know.  I kind of like the vintage nod that this kit and these figures are.  I think this is an attempt by Hasbro to bring some pure vintage collectors into the newer lines.  I'm relieved that they aren't going to be copies of the original figures I got when I was a 7 year old kid back in 1978, but again, I like that there is some vintage attributes to these figures.

I'll hold final judgement until I have these figures in-hand, but right now I don't feel like I wasted $30.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 6, 2005, 11:35 PM »
I'll hold final judgement until I have these figures in-hand, but right now I don't feel like I wasted $30.

Oh, me neither.  I'm actually quite excited about this set.  I love the nod that it's giving to the vintage line. 

Like you said, I really can't truly judge this until I've got these guys in my hands.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 6, 2005, 11:38 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #182 on: April 6, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Yawn.  The telescoping Anakin is in my Top 5 for worst figures in the modern line.  Why not make a Luke with a Poncho instead?  R2 looks OK but I already have like 50 of them.  L-A-M-E.  Chewie is cool and so is Leia

What was that about the line making it to 2007?  Not if they do this crap. 

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 7, 2005, 12:16 AM »
I have a quick question.... I ordered two sets from WalMart.com and they arrived today. I'm getting them ready to send in for my figures. The form on the inside says "Mail the Cerificate, along with the original cash register receipt (no photocopies accepted) with purchase price of the Early Bird Certificate Package circles and the UPC proof-of-purchase code from the package, in the pre-addressed envelope enclosed, postage neccesary".

Now I know that the invoice from the website counts as my receipt. My concern now is that I ordered two sets, and they shipped on the same invoice. Can I send both forms and UPC codes together in the same envelope with one receipt, or am I screwed?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 7, 2005, 01:56 AM »
You might want to email hasbro with that question... otherwise you just got a kick to the balls with a wide-foot.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #185 on: April 7, 2005, 02:53 AM »
I'm missing it - these look like stuff we've either already seen (Leia and R2) or stuff we've already gotten better versions of (Luke and Chewie) - why the excitement?

Yeah I'm not seeing the excitement here either. Leia looks ok, but stuck in a static pose. Chewbacca looks to be a couple of steps down from the VOTC Chewie, R2 appears to be the Bar2-D2 astromech, and while I too like the nod to the vintage line, the Luke doesn't appear to be anything special and the lightsaber looks overly big much like the Outlander Anakin. I saw a couple dozen early bird kits at Walmart this morning and I said to myself, if the 4 figures are really awesome, maybe I'll pick the kit up, but now after seeing this pic, it's not going to happen. Oh well, got too many of these figures anyway.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 7, 2005, 08:11 AM »
Just a quick thought.  Hasbro may only be releasing the telescoping Luke for this set only.  When they start the actual "relaunch" they might make a completely different Luke.  That or take that telescoping ligthsaber/arm off and replace with a different arm. 

I agree that it does not look like this is going to be a SA line.  More of the same with maybe a retro looking packaging like OTC. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 7, 2005, 09:23 AM »
I'm happy that the figures are new tools, but not overly excited about what they are - it is a good thing though that they are 3 3/4 scale!

I think I'll use my backdrop for my loose vintage figures and just display the early bird modern figures with the rest of my ****.

8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 7, 2005, 09:55 AM »
For those that are getting the envelope and trying to figure out how to open the clam shell, theres a great post over at RS.

Early Bird package : How to open it (with photos)

As for the UPC code...  :-\ 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 7, 2005, 11:22 AM »
Oh well it's not like this set is going to go way up in value.   Heck I cut out the UPC from a Freeze Frame Sandtrooper.   Cout not believe that thing was going for $100 several years ago.  I about #$%^.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 7, 2005, 04:09 PM »
I had a revelation today.  The Luke figure should come with two right arms - one normal, and one with the telescoping lightsaber feature.

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #191 on: April 7, 2005, 04:24 PM »
I had a revelation today.  The Luke figure should come with two right arms - one normal, and one with the telescoping lightsaber feature.

:P

That'd be a reall cool way to do it.   :)

That would be a great idea at letting the basic figure have a vintage nod, but letting you have a different arm if you want it!

Now let's hope that someone at Hasbro had the same idea...  ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #192 on: April 7, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Can I send both forms and UPC codes together in the same envelope with one receipt, or am I screwed?

Well, it looks like we have Hasbro's Answer:

Question:
I purchased more than one Star Wars Early Bird Kit on one receipt.  Can I use one receipt to send away for multiple kits?

Answer:
Yes, you can send in for multiple kits together using one receipt as long as each kit you are sending away for is listed on that receipt. Also be sure to send in each original UPC code and certificate per kit.

Sounds like you should be OK putting both your redemption forms in one envelope...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 8, 2005, 09:01 AM »
Super, nice we can send in our receipt with 2 or more EB's on it.  8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2005, 09:11 AM »
We were picking up a card/gift bag yesterday at Wal-Mart for my parents' anniversary, and an aisle over I saw some Star Wars stuff in a "spare" aisle with pools, Slip and Slide, and other summer stuff.  This must be where they dumped their leftover "tent sale" stuff.  They literally had between 40-50 of the Early Bird sets.  I probably should have waited to pick one up, because they seem destined for a clearance.  A few of the other things as well...a couple of the carrying cases, talking Vader helmets, etc.  Oh, and TONS AND TONS of the first series of ROTS Galactic Heroes.  Wow, those are going to be there awhile.