Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 111041 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #240 on: June 5, 2005, 12:17 AM »
So ... white gown Leia, Tatooine Luke, R2-D2, and Chewie. Big ******' whoopy doo. The only thing that remotely appeals is what appears to be a telescoping saber.

Wellllll now that I've thought about it ... Leia really doesn't look bad, considering this is the only figure of her in this outfit to get the pose right, even though the blaster's wrong.

Still nowhere near worth $30 on her own. Maybe someday I'll find one loose.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #241 on: June 6, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I like the Chewie as well.  When the VOTC Chewbacca originally came out (with the ROTJ hairdo), though we all liked it, most of us were also hoping to eventually get a similar version but with an ANH hairdo (no bangs).  So in that respect, this Chewie's a decent addition.

After reading Pawlus' most recent Q & A, is it Chewie or Luke that has the all-new body?  Adam said there were two all new figures, and one with just a new head.  I haven't looked closely enough to decide what's what.  And apparently the R2 is just a 100% rehash, unfortunately.

Of course, with the huge amount of extra time it's apparently going to take to get these figures to folks, perhaps Hasbro still has another trick or two up their sleeves with one or more of them.  Hopefully they'll surprise us when all is said and done...

Anybody still contemplating ordering more of these things?  Like I said, if it's in some type of attractive packaging showing the figures, I'm gonna have to get myself a third set to keep packaged.  I'm guessing that won't be the case though...
« Last Edit: June 6, 2005, 08:18 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #242 on: June 6, 2005, 11:54 PM »
I think I finally convinced myself I don't need this...at all

Not sure why Pawlus is hopped up about this set, a new head on Chewie, a new head on Leia, outdated and crap articulation on Luke V3333.0 and a reissue R2.

While I can see people wanting Chewie and Leia, Luke and R2 blow cheese and lots of it, if the set ever goes on clearance I may pick one up, but until then, they can suck on their exclusive.  Wal*MArt hosed the pooch on this whole thing, big time

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 7, 2005, 12:23 AM »
Anybody still contemplating ordering more of these things? 

I ended up sending in for 4 of them.  I want the Chewie for sure.  The others I got, just in case somebody missed it or for guys out of the US. 

I'm sure I can single out the Luke and Leia to somebody too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #244 on: June 7, 2005, 01:22 AM »
These actually are something I've never seen in a store, but that doesn't surprise me really...  From what I heard only one WM or maybe two in the area, got this set at all.  Pmundheim was kind enough to hook me up with the set I got.

I'm not wild about the set either...  I agree.  For $30, the price you're paying is for something I'd rather have the actual vintage piece for (no matter the price) than a copy.  It's not the same, and $30 then just strikes me as overpriced...

To me, that's making the argument that "Well $30 is better than what you'd pay for an original" is as ass backwards an excuse as "Well the EE Clones are cheaper than buying the CW single Clones on Ebay!" excuse was for the 4-packs...

Yeah, CW SA Clones are not cheap on Ebay, but how does that have any effect on the pricing of newly packaged/distributed figures, ya know?  But I digress.

The figures are kinda blah...  I'm happy to get the Leia, and to me the Chewbacca is the highlight of the set overall (He's ANH Chewie and ESB Chewie...  And with the VOTC Chewie I'm pretty well set).  Luke looks like **** to me, I'm sorry...  To me, that was a gimmick best left dead...  Anakin Outland didn't do well with it, and while it's a vintage throwback, it's nothing I find interesting to own on a modern figure (again, if I want authentic vintage, I'll buy vintage).  R2...  Not something I needed another one of unless it had the tools...  Even then I'm not one to want another R2 for a bit.

I'm not mad about the set...  It just wasn't good.  To me, the SA Clone from Target was better...  It's overpriced too, so it's not perfect, but at least it's a SA Clone.  Hell, he even has both rifles!  That's better than the basic SA Clone's have been able to pull off.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 7, 2005, 09:10 AM »
I will admit that nobody "needs" these figures.  I mean my God all of these characters have been immortalized in plastic at least 12 times I would guess. 

Me I actually like the Luke Skywalker for it's telescoping lightsaber.  Shocking I know.  But we have about 55 other Tatooine Lukes without a telescoping arm so I'm down with it.  It's unigue IMO.  It's actually the main figure I am looking forward to getting. 

Chewy - It's different enough for me to actually like it.  I am happy to be getting it. 

Leia - I can't believe people don't want this set for the fact that we get a Leia with her hood up.  How cool is that?  At least she actually was seen with her hood up at one point in the movie.  Unlike that SDCC exclusive hologram figure with Leia sporting twin blasters.  But everyone will be plunking down $15 for that exclusive figure and not bitch all that much about it.

R2-D2 - If there is one figure I am not excited to get it is this guy.  Not that it's a bad figure but I could live the rest of my life happy if they never make another R2 for sale ever. 

But all in all.  It's $30 for 4 figures.  Three of which are fairly unigue. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #246 on: June 7, 2005, 09:20 AM »

I'm still yawning :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #247 on: June 7, 2005, 02:51 PM »
If I had thirty bucks to spare, I'd have this set by now. I mostly want it for the display stage, but I'll take the figures as a bonus.

I only hope that by the time I get a job, WM.com isn't sold out of these.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 7, 2005, 03:27 PM »
That is another thing.  You get the repro packaging, stage, etc.  I know it's not the greatest exclusive of all time by any stretch of the imagination.  IMO it beats out all those silver figures and some hologram exclusives as well. 

Anyway, I will enjoy the set for what it is.  It will be done and gone before we know it anyway. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 7, 2005, 04:33 PM »
And don't forget that you also get a 3 month pass to Hyperspace!  Woot!

Mine's almost up and I've been there probably two times total. 

Seriously, there is some decent stuff there...like the CW animation shorts, behind the scenes pictures, and once in a while; acess to exclusive figures/merchandise.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #250 on: June 7, 2005, 04:38 PM »
At first, I didn't want it figuring I'd grab the figures later.  Then once I was pretty sure this was the only chance to get these figures (learning that it was a -time deal, NOT the kick-off of a new line), my OCD kicked in and I got one.

When I was at C3 and got a chance to look at the figures, I decided I was happy with the decision to get one.  I accept them for what they are.  Granted, $7.50 is a bit steep for a rehashed R2-D2, but then again, I paid $13 for a Target Clone so what the hell do I know about $ value?   :P

I guess I won't know for 100% sure until the figures come in the mail, but for now I'm not upset I grabbed one and sent away for my set of 4 figures...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 7, 2005, 04:50 PM »
The ultimate completist horror:

1 x Sealed EB Kit
1 x Open EB Kit (complete)
1 x Mailed away EB Kit --> 1 x Sealed EB Figure Set
1 x Mailed away EB Kit --> 1 x Open EB Figure Set

Heh, heh.  Anyone buy 4 of these?   :o

I've got three and have opened one just to examine the contents.  Damn, I love the "vintage" feel to everything - that display stand will be fun to use for some of my old beat up figures.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #252 on: June 7, 2005, 08:49 PM »
I did NOT buy one and it is unlikey that I will buy one even at clearance but I may get one if I win the JD giveaway. :P
« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 11:40 PM by Gatillo »
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 7, 2005, 10:37 PM »
The ultimate completist horror:

1 x Sealed EB Kit
1 x Open EB Kit (complete)
1 x Mailed away EB Kit --> 1 x Sealed EB Figure Set
1 x Mailed away EB Kit --> 1 x Open EB Figure Set

Heh, heh.  Anyone buy 4 of these?   :o

Jesse - I bought three...

1 x Sealed EB Kit
2 x Open EB Kit complete except for the redemption cert
      --> 1 x Sealed EB Figure Set
      --> 1 x Open EB Figure Set

As far as I was concerned having two of the kits opened but without the redemption certificates and keeping one of them in pristine shape is enough - I really don't need a mint, non-filled-out redemption certificate.

You're right though - it is a horror. I would have rathered been able to walk into the store and buy two sets of these four figures for say $80 total and been done with it.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 8, 2005, 01:03 AM »
At first, I didn't want it figuring I'd grab the figures later.  Then once I was pretty sure this was the only chance to get these figures (learning that it was a -time deal, NOT the kick-off of a new line), my OCD kicked in and I got one.

It won't suprise me one bit if these become available later on.  I didn't take the chance either, but Hasbro has been known to fudge quite a bit when describing the rarity of a given item to create initial hype.

The "$135.00-Super-limted-to-only-5,000-FAO-Scwartz-Exclusive-Imperial-Shuttle-that-later-became-available-at-KBkids.com-for-like-$60.00" comes to mind.