Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110835 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #255 on: June 8, 2005, 08:13 AM »
As much as I try to defend this set it was a monster debate in my head whether to actually pick one up or not.  It must have lasted at least 30 minutes in that tent for 4/2.  In the end the little voice that says "You'll be sorry if you don't get it!!!"  was piping up an awful lot and got the better of me.  The other little voice that says "You freaking idiot!!!  You fell for Hasbro's exclusive once again.  I give up on you.  You damn fool."  Then me and first voice mentally high fived each other and walked out of W-M satisfied with yet another bundle of money headed towards Star Wars yet again :)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 8, 2005, 12:47 PM »
At first, I didn't want it figuring I'd grab the figures later.  Then once I was pretty sure this was the only chance to get these figures (learning that it was a -time deal, NOT the kick-off of a new line), my OCD kicked in and I got one.

It won't suprise me one bit if these become available later on. I didn't take the chance either, but Hasbro has been known to fudge quite a bit when describing the rarity of a given item to create initial hype.

The "$135.00-Super-limted-to-only-5,000-FAO-Scwartz-Exclusive-Imperial-Shuttle-that-later-became-available-at-KBkids.com-for-like-$60.00" comes to mind.

Don't remind me of that fiasco...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #257 on: June 8, 2005, 03:12 PM »
The ultimate completist horror:

1 x Sealed EB Kit
1 x Open EB Kit (complete)
1 x Mailed away EB Kit --> 1 x Sealed EB Figure Set
1 x Mailed away EB Kit --> 1 x Open EB Figure Set

Heh, heh.  Anyone buy 4 of these?   :o

Yeah, I agree with Pete, that there's really only 3 versions necessary for most "psycho" completists.  The only difference between those two opened sets is the small missing/detached portion of the entry card.  Not worth an entire other set.

I'm actually not going to keep an original set completely sealed though (for once).  If there were figures in there, I obviously would.  But I refuse to start collecting mint packaged cardboard.  :P  So I just carefully sliced through the bottom of the plastic and pulled the stuff out for one of my sets, placed my order, and then put everything right back in there.  It looks identical to a mint, sealed package, since you don't even notice the cut.

So I just ordered two sets, one for the standard loose collection, and an extra set (as usual) for dioramas and what not.  BUT, if the figures show up in a style of packaging where they're actually viewable, I'm going to have to order a third set to keep the figures mint in package too.  But if they're just in a white mailer box and I can't see them, then I'm not gonna sweat it.

Of course, Hasbro's probably reading this, and is gonna stick the figures in a fancy package now, just to annoy me...  ;)
« Last Edit: June 8, 2005, 03:13 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 8, 2005, 03:51 PM »
To be honest, I can really see them shipping this set just like the EE SA Clone 4-pack.

Think about it - and those of you who work in Photoshop know how easy this would be since (a) you already have the box template and (b) you already have the outer white mailer box to protect the pretty window box.

All they'd have to do is change the graphics on the panels. If they can roughly justify the cost of around $24 for each four-pack, I don't see any reason why they couldn't just re-purpose that packaging and justify the $30 kit price tag.

I would have preferred the EE clones in white mailer boxes too - I didn't need these pretty window boxes for these sets. Especially since the art for all four variants is identical.

So - here's hoping that they do just end up being four baggied figures in a white mailer box.

BTW - great idea on slicing open the bottom of the EB kit outer plastic shell like that Matt - I hadn't thought of that, it could have saved me from buying that third one I got, 'cause I'm not really into the idea of collecting MIB Cardboard either.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #259 on: June 8, 2005, 04:10 PM »
To be honest, I can really see them shipping this set just like the EE SA Clone 4-pack.

Sssshhhh!!!  They may hear you, Peter!  :-X

BTW - great idea on slicing open the bottom of the EB kit outer plastic shell like that Matt - I hadn't thought of that, it could have saved me from buying that third one I got, 'cause I'm not really into the idea of collecting MIB Cardboard either.

Yeah, I actually heard a guy at C3 mention that.  There was some discussion about that set going on at one of the dealer booths, and they got into talking about the best way to preserve the packaging and still get the figures (at which point I started keenly listening), and one guy said he very carefully razorbladed a long slit running across the entire bottom of the plastic shell, and then carefully slid the large EB cardboard envelope out through it.  Fill the form out, and slide it back in (it's a tight fit), and wallah!  Save yourself about $32.  I'm a pretty nutso packaged collector too, and this method worked quite well for me (with my OCD), so I'd recommend it to any packaged folks currently contemplating exactly how to deal with this thing...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 8, 2005, 06:11 PM »
The other little voice that says "You freaking idiot!!!  You fell for Hasbro's exclusive once again.  I give up on you.  You damn fool." 

Your second little voice and mine sound alot like they are twins....lucky for us we always listen to the first one 8).
Beth

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 8, 2005, 10:55 PM »
So I just carefully sliced through the bottom of the plastic and pulled the stuff out for one of my sets, placed my order, and then put everything right back in there. 

Dammit, why didn't I think of that.   ::)

Oh well, it'll make a neat display piece.  I still remember walking into Wal-Mart in Indy and being blown away by how big the package was.  I had no idea that the diorama/stage was so big.

And it'll be the first MIP piece of cardboard I own.   ;)   ::)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 8, 2005, 11:18 PM »

Sssshhhh!!!  They may hear you, Peter!  :-X

Yes, I know sometimes I really do need to be silenced!  ;D

Seriously though - they'll go out for this clunker, which as Scott pointed out so well - using three POTF2 figures and the Saga Bespin Chewie - really didn't need to be done! Not to mention the less than a year old four VOTC incarnations of these characters!

However, they won't go all out and give us something like an Evolutions Padme and entirely PT Obi-Wan set. Sure they MAY do it, but coming out with these two characters as Evolutions sets should have been TOP priority. As far as I'm concerned anything that gets us VOTC quality versions of PT is okay in my book - I'm not so concerned about OT characters 'cause Hasbro will ALWAYS go back to that well - as the EB kit proves.

Here's what would have been a MUCH BETTER idea - use the EB kit to announce that you're continuing the VOTC line and the next stage of it, exclusive to the modern EB kit, will be creating VOTC versions of the remaining original 12 figures - VOTC versions of the Tusken Raider, Deathsquad Commander, and Jawa. Promote the stand as a Stand for your VOTC figures and modify the original graphics to include art for Lando, Yoda and Boba Fett and make the stand be able to accomodate fifteen figures instead of just twelve.  If you needed to have four figures in the set, go ahead and either make an R2-D2 w/o arms & scope and a clicking dome or a Chewie with the combed back head fur.

We already read in the GH Swami report that VOTC will be back, so why didn't they have the EB kit reflect that - there was NOTHING, not even nostalgia, that dictacted that the four characters HAD to be Luke, Leia, Chewie and R2. Nostalgia only dictated that the have a promotion LIKE the original EB kit. The figures didn't need to be the same four characters.

See Matt - now if they read my idea about the window box, they'd have to read that idea too...  ;D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #263 on: June 8, 2005, 11:25 PM »
Yeah, that should hopefully balance things out nicely Peter!

One thing I forgot to mention, though it should likely be assumed, is that I still had to cut the proof of purchase off the back of the plastic case, so there is a bit of a hole on the backside which is an eyesoar if someone flips the thing around.  Granted, I cut that thing out very carefully, and closely, to minimize the carnage.  So my packaging isn't quite as mint as you might've thought.  Still looks good from the front though.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #264 on: June 9, 2005, 11:31 AM »
Here's what would have been a MUCH BETTER idea - use the EB kit to announce that you're continuing the VOTC line and the next stage of it, exclusive to the modern EB kit, will be creating VOTC versions of the remaining original 12 figures - VOTC versions of the Tusken Raider, Deathsquad Commander, and Jawa. Promote the stand as a Stand for your VOTC figures and modify the original graphics to include art for Lando, Yoda and Boba Fett and make the stand be able to accomodate fifteen figures instead of just twelve.  If you needed to have four figures in the set, go ahead and either make an R2-D2 w/o arms & scope and a clicking dome or a Chewie with the combed back head fur.

Damn good idea. I would have bought that.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2005, 10:21 PM »

Need to modify the stand in some way though.  At the very least, Chewie doesn't have holes for pegs from a stand.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2005, 04:21 PM »
I noticed the giveaway for the Target Clone on the main page. Is the EB giveaway over? And if so, have they decided on a winner?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I noticed the giveaway for the Target Clone on the main page. Is the EB giveaway over? And if so, have they decided on a winner?

We are still in the process of verifying the entries (removing duplicates and frauds, double checking entries) and should have a winner announced soon...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Awesome.

Thanks.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Cool, I hope it goes to a good home.   :)

:P