Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110307 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #270 on: June 17, 2005, 10:27 PM »
Wheee! I won something besides free soda!!  ;D

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2005, 10:39 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Good work!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Must not be jealous... anger leads to hate...  ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2005, 09:16 AM »
I'm a little late, but congrats on the win Ben.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:38 AM by mosnab »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2005, 10:24 AM »
Congrats Man!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2005, 02:59 AM »
i'm hearing from people in my neck of the woods of finding the EB kit on clearance for $10. I was at the local walmart yesterday and didn't see a clearance tag, but at the time I had no reason to look closely. if it's really $10, I'll finally break down and buy the damn thing. can't beat 4 new figs for $10 :)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2005, 08:12 PM »
The EB set has caused me to almost fall over laughing in the last few weeks.  One of the local WMs got a metric ton of these things and I would be shocked if they had sold more than one in the entire three months they've had it on shelves.  They move the mountain of Early Bird **** from one aisle to another, give it an endcap, put it on an aisle obstacle kiosk, but they never move. 

Where the humor comes in is that the week before last, this WM decided they were finally going to mark it down a bit to 20 bucks and see if that would help.  I was in the WM three times after I saw the markdown and they still weren't selling.  I went out of town for a few days and when I walked in there this morning, they still had all of them in the same place, but they had raised the price back to 29.97.   ::)

So yes, WM's book on economics states that if it ain't selling, lower the price, and if it still ain't selling, raise the price back to the original price.  I fully expect to see an Early Bird **** fort being built in the bicycle aisle when the offer expires and WM is stuck with all the useless clamshell plastic envelopes.  :)

SilverZ

« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2005, 02:45 AM »
I should have had my friend scan one this morning. He called me from Walmart, holding a set, wanting to know exactly what it was. He’s a casual collector. His confusion brought out every problem that set has and just what a failure it’s turned out to be. I tried explaining to him that it was a Walmart exclusive and that he would have to buy it, open it up, and mail away for the four figures.

"Why does it look like it’s from the 70’s," he asked.

"Because it’s a reproduction of the Early Bird kit from 1977. It’s supposed to be nostalgic," I explain.

"So they send you old figures?"

"No, they are new figures. You know, new style. Modern."

"Oh. So they’re celebrating when they couldn’t get figures out in time for the first movie twenty years later? Did this just come out, or did they do it when the DVD came out?"

"No," I attempt to explain, "they brought it out on April 2, with all of the Revenge of the Sith toys."

"But it’s from the original movie."

"Right." I'm not making the sale.

"That doesn’t make sense. It looks like its old.  So, I have to open this to send away for the figures? What if I want to keep this in the package, you know, mint?"

"You buy two."

He's annoyed and baffled, saying, "They’re thirty dollars. Is the stand inside plastic, at least? I’m not paying sixty bucks for figures and cardboard."

"Sorry, it’s just cardboard."

"This is confusing. And I just paid like ten bucks a piece for all the original figures on old cards like six months ago. I can’t even see what the figures are supposed to look like. You know, forget it."

And two more Early Bird kits go back on the shelf to rot. Nice work, Hasbro.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:54 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2005, 03:17 AM »
Stay on the look out for EB-Kit clearances. A Wal-Mart by me put them on clearance for $5 each. That's $1.25 a figure fot those of you who hate Math. ;) I bought one on the 2nd of April and I bought 2 more when I found them on clearance, $40 for 12 figures, not bad. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2005, 07:20 AM »
If anyone finds these on clearance please let me know.  We never received at the 3 Walmarts in my area, and this is the one hole in my collection.  Looking for two of these ;)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 30, 2005, 12:22 PM »
Man, that sucks for people like me who wanted one, didn't have a WM near by that carried it and paid $35 online for it!

>:(

Clearance sucks for people who pay full price and it kicks ass for people who wait!   :-*

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 30, 2005, 12:44 PM »
Yeah, I'll buy one off of someone able to get it really cheap. They never showed up here either.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #282 on: June 30, 2005, 01:01 PM »
I am still laughing at this piece of crap ;D

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Has anyone started receiving their set yet? I throught that the little card in the package said that the figures would start shipping May.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2005, 10:06 PM »
I think it was just between the months of May and December.  Something like that.